[OB] Loose Ends

ElvisSpren

Are we ok with Shallan's family supposedly being brought to the shattered plains safe and sound by the goastbloods not mentioned?

Are we ok with the promise of 4th dahn lighteyes Kaldin getting land and moving his Mom & Dad to it just not happening?

Are we ok with the fact that they repackaged crunch and munch in a bag instead of a box?  

• Greywatch changed the title to [OB] Loose Ends

I'm more worried about the 2 arm Hardazian jokes Lopen mentioned but never talked about. 

And if Adolin ever found his mother's chain. 

These are the questions that will eat at my soul and spirit web until Book 4. 

• 2 weeks later...

Do not forget, Kaladin is no longer 4th Dahn. He is storming Knight Radiant Lighteyes, Captain of the Cobalt Guard, Blooming Bridge 4 Crew Leader. 

Dahns do not apply anymore to him, and should be ignored by those dealing with him. He and the other Radiants are above Dahns. He is loyal to who he chooses to be. I suspect his parents have as much political pull on him as Dalinar does. Things are different in Hearthstone today!

Where is Wit's flute? What's so special about it? Who has it now? Will Kaladin ever learn how to play the flute?

It was lost at the end of TWoK when Kaladin left it in Sadeas' camp. Amaram never mentions it, Ialai never mentions it, but Wit seems unworried about it.

1 hour ago, Rainier said:

Where is Wit's flute? What's so special about it? Who has it now? Will Kaladin ever learn how to play the flute?

It was lost at the end of TWoK when Kaladin left it in Sadeas' camp. Amaram never mentions it, Ialai never mentions it, but Wit seems unworried about it.

_0_-o--__-0O_--oO0__

Where is Hoids flute and does he want it back

Brandon Sanderson

Sadeas had it.

Yes.

source

Smye07

My question for you is this - I got the heeby-jeebies when Shallan heard about Amaram's collection of flutes within just a few pages of Wit bringing up the flute Kaladin lost?

All I can think of is that either: A) Wit's flute will end up among Amaram's collection to resurface later or B) In his work with the Sons of Honor, Amaram or his fellows have stumbled across some flute-related magic or splinterization and his flutes are the brethren and sistren of Wit's flute.

Is either of these the case? Or is there some other significance to Amaram's collection of nigh forbidden flutes?

Brandon Sanderson

It is significant. It is not a huge deal, but it is significant.

source

It's a bit of a sidenote, but it bothers me just a little that Kaladin is still a captain. It sounds well, but doesn't make sense anymore. He's been commanding a battalion for a while and now that the darkeyes' glass ceiling is gone, I would imagine some adjustments in ranks would be logical. And more practically meaningful than giving him a piece of land that'll probably be falling to Odium's forces soon enough with the rest of Alethkar. 

Edited by Ailvara

5 hours ago, Ailvara said:

It's a bit of a sidenote, but it bothers me just a little that Kaladin is still a captain. It sounds well, but doesn't make sense anymore. He's been commanding a battalion for a while and now that the darkeyes' glass ceiling is gone, I would imagine some adjustments in ranks would be logical. And more practically meaningful than giving him a piece of land that'll probably be falling to Odium's forces soon enough with the rest of Alethkar. 

The darkeye glass ceiling is gone so far as Dalinar might be concerned, but the rest of Alethkar (let alone the rest of Roshar) don't exactly agree.  

2 minutes ago, Landis963 said:

The darkeye glass ceiling is gone so far as Dalinar might be concerned, but the rest of Alethkar (let alone the rest of Roshar) don't exactly agree.  

It's like, 90% Alethkar, though lol

3 hours ago, Landis963 said:

He's not darkeyed anymore, he's 4th dahn. So it's gone for him. 

1 hour ago, CrazyRioter said:

He does have a shardblade. That's a pretty good way to break some glass ceilings.

But Kaladin and Dalinar have both been super busy with other stuff, so it makes sense that nobody thought about giving him an official promotion.

Yes, but he had time to think about the lands for him, which I think is less important in their situation, and probably required a bit more thinking. 

15 hours ago, Ailvara said:

While I agree with you I think Captain Kaladin has a nice ring to it. Just roles off the tongue. General Kaladin not so much. Maybe Colonel Kaladin? Radiant Kaladin sounds cool though but he still has some oaths to go before I think that title should be used officially. Anything but Brigadier Bridge Boy..

I suspect a lot of this stuff will happen during the one year gap between books 3 and 4. While it is interesting, is mostly logistical stuff and the figuring it out part could get boring. I suspect we'll come back to more Radiants, and better defined Radiant orders, as well as a better understanding of their place in the world. Kal will probably no longer have an Alethi military rank, or maybe any Alethi any rank at all. Plus his parents will probably be in the tower by that point.

As for bag instead of box, I'd prefer the box, less likely to get crushed.

Honestly, that battalion command never made a lot of sense, as Kal was always occupied with other things, they didn't have any kind of proper command structure or adminstrative staff, Teft did some things with the other bridgemen, but was mostly Kal's second with Bridge 4, Sigzil was his "clerk" also only for that, etc. I wonder who was managing the duty schedules and such of the other bridges - probably Dalinar's officers. Anyway, as Kaladin himself admits in his Hearthstone chapters all of this is behind him now, he is the leader of the new Order of Windrunners.

But one loose end that really surprised me was that he never confessed his own part in the plot to murder Elhokar and that nobody wondered what happened to a shiny new Kholin shardbearer (Moash) whom Kal had bestowed the newly won shards on. I really thought that Kaladin coming clean about all of it would be an important moment of growth, both for him and for Elhokar (RIP).

And also, it is kinda odd that Kaladin promised to return to Hearthstone and take his family to safety, spoke about it with Dalinar... and then nothing happened? When he was flying places at the end of OB, I thought that he was flying to get his family, which managed to escape to Jah Keved, but it was to fetch his and Shallan's men and little Gavinor instead. That was nice, but as a known family of a Radiant, his parents and brother aren't safe under occupation!

Edited by Isilel

1 hour ago, Isilel said:

But one lose end that really surprised me was that he never confessed his own part in the plot to murder Elhokar and that nobody wondered what happened to a shiny new Kholin shardbearer that Kal bestowed his shards on. I really thought that Kaladin coming clean about all of it would be a moment of growth, both for him and for Elhokar (RIP).

This annoys me to no end, especially that neither Dalinar not Adolin question it.  You leave a full shardbearer back to protect to king, there is an attempt on the king's life, full shardbearer just disappears - and there are no questions...?  All we see in OB is Bridge 4 wondering about Moash a tiny bit.  I hope something comes of it in the next book, but I kind of doubt it.

16 minutes ago, Dreamstorm said:

This annoys me to no end, especially that neither Dalinar not Adolin question it.  You leave a full shardbearer back to protect to king, there is an attempt on the king's life, full shardbearer just disappears - and there are no questions...?  All we see in OB is Bridge 4 wondering about Moash a tiny bit.  I hope something comes of it in the next book, but I kind of doubt it.

Kaladin is a moody and introspective person, trying to mine him for personal information that he doesn't want to share likely wouldn't have accomplished anything and just made him more hostile.  I say this as a self-admitted moody and introspective person :P

Also Dalinar and Adolin are soldiers.  They've almost certainly seen plenty of rust that they don't want to talk about either.  Unless they had an immediate reason to doubt Kaladin, I don't imagine they would pry.

3 minutes ago, Subvisual Haze said:

Also Dalinar and Adolin are soldiers.  They've almost certainly seen plenty of rust that they don't want to talk about either.  Unless they had an immediate reason to doubt Kaladin, I don't imagine they would pry.

I see it less as questioning Kaladin and more as asking what happened to two (supposedly precious) shards.  I would think someone would ask the question about how a Kholin shardbearer just disappeared taking his shards with him.  There is a factual explanation for this (said shardbearer tried to kill the king and then ran away when Kaladin stopped him), but I don't see Kaladin being able to give the explanation without telling his part in it.  So, I'm assuming no one even asked what happened to those shards.  And that's just inconsistent with their supposed value.  (Or if someone asked and Kaladin lied, that's a big issue too!)

Yeah the Moash assassination attempt bothers me too. One opportunity for this to be picked back up is you would think Kaladin would eventually tell Dalinar exactly what happened to him at Kholinar and this is a chance for Kaladin to come clean. The problem with this is if there is a year gap I do not really see how this comes up a year later that we would see on screen. I dunno there seems to be several things that have lost their tension even if they come to light later. Makes me wonder if the books/plots just got too big for everything to be addressed properly. 

50 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

Yeah the Moash assassination attempt bothers me too. One opportunity for this to be picked back up is you would think Kaladin would eventually tell Dalinar exactly what happened to him at Kholinar and this is a chance for Kaladin to come clean. The problem with this is if there is a year gap I do not really see how this comes up a year later that we would see on screen. I dunno there seems to be several things that have lost their tension even if they come to light later. Makes me wonder if the books/plots just got too big for everything to be addressed properly. 

Plot twist! Book 4 opens with the execution of Adolin and Kaladin for the murder and attempted murder of Sadeas and Elhokar following a lengthy trial during the time gap. ;-D

Edited by Strifelover