Your favourite moments in WOR? (spoilers)

Aniki

The point where Navani finally thaws out to Shallan. The poor girl needs a non-murderous mother figure.

Rysn's interlude. 

Shallan finally using her shardblade.

Most of the Kaladin-Shallan interactions. Special points awarded to any mention of the boots, and the reasons they are glad to be in the chasm. Did anyone else think "It's dangerous to go alone, take this." when she loaned him Pattern?

The bromantic arena duel.  For some reason I couldn’t read or listen to this chapter at first, I just knew something was going to happen.  I was freaking out and half expected someone I liked was going to die.

Kaladin saying the Words.  Then Syl forming into a Blade in his hand.  Then the hallway going dark of stormlight.  Then Kaladin exploding with light. Then the Windrunner glyph appearing behind him in the frost on the floor.   

Kaladin has collected quite a few titles.  Surgeon, spearman, slave, bridgeman, Captain of the guard, Windrunner… just makes me wonder where else he could go from here.

Shallan showing Dalinar what she can do, and making the very rare awespren appear above Dalinar and making him cry.  Finally! 

Dalinar forcing some starch into Aladar and Roion.  And then his battlefield speech.  This is one of those scenes where the audiobook shines.

Hoid talking to the ugly lizard-crab-thing about art and expectation and then Jasnah appearing.  I had just given up on her, and there she was. 

Lopen’s arm growing back and gathering his cousins to take their spheres.  Pure magic.

I can think of many more, this is just the beginning.

The bromantic arena duel. For some reason I couldn’t read or listen to this chapter at first, I just knew something was going to happen. I was freaking out and half expected someone I liked was going to die.

I had to keep putting my ereader down at that part because I was totally convinced that Adolin was going to lose and the Kholins would be totally Shardless.

Add in the character development from Gaz. The bit near the end where Shallan thought he might have vanished again only for him to turn up with the book was just great. He was so proud of himself for getting it.

Edited by AyeJay

A lot of people have mentioned awesome moments or great moments or funny moments, but the one that took the cake for me was a line from (of course) The Lopen:

"You should rub yourself with curry and go prancing through the camp singing Horneater lullabies."

Probably because it helped break the tension, but still.

Bah, I am a sucker for special effects. Kaladin speaking the Second Ideal of the Windrunners, bursting with light, reuniting with Syl (gods below, I was really scared for her!), frosting up the walls, and leaving the afterimage of the Windrunners glyph on the ground. 

Many many other scenes made me happy, but this was the one that made my hands shake and knees wobble.

“Kaladin Lashed himself to the side, jerking out of the way. He swiped with his Blade, but didn’t come close to connecting. “I should have practiced more with the sword,” he muttered.

Oh. That’s right. You probably want me to be a spear, don’t you?

The weapon fuzzed to mist, then elongated and grew into the shape of a silvery spear, with glowing, swirling glyphs along the sharpened sides of the spearhead.”

Did anyone else have a total Sanderson-gasm at this point?

Regarding the hated love triangle:

Don't worry. in book 4 Odium reveals that he is Kaladin's father, and that he has a twin sister...

Does this mean that Tien was only Kaladin's father from "a certain point of view"?

“Kaladin Lashed himself to the side, jerking out of the way. He swiped with his Blade, but didn’t come close to connecting. “I should have practiced more with the sword,” he muttered.

Oh. That’s right. You probably want me to be a spear, don’t you?

The weapon fuzzed to mist, then elongated and grew into the shape of a silvery spear, with glowing, swirling glyphs along the sharpened sides of the spearhead.”

Did anyone else have a total Sanderson-gasm at this point?

I was mostly meta-happy thinking of all the other Sharders who'd be going "SHARDSPEAAAAAAR!!!" upon seeing that. :)

Kaladin has collected quite a few titles.  Surgeon, spearman, slave, bridgeman, Captain of the guard, Windrunner… just makes me wonder where else he could go from here.

Well, there is always Champion of Honor. After all, Honor himself said that it (naming a champion and forcing Odium to choose one) was the only way they could win. As for my favorite moments, I would have to say Nightblood, Syl's return, and the moment I realized that the everstorm was not some abstract term for the last desolation, but a real storm sweeping in from the wrong direction.

Pretty much all of these, but with three moments of distinction.

Renarin stepping in to that arena, especially when you consider what it cost him as we later discover. I believe that that has already been pointed out in htis thread, but that moment really shined for me.

Shallan comforting her brothers with that terrible joke while her father spoke with the bastard.

Shallan garroting her father while singing him the lullaby. I'm still up in the air about whether I prefered reading that seen or hearing Kate Reading's delivery of it. I've done both, both left me weeping.

Edit: One more...

I am a stick.

Edited by ArthurB

Oh man, so many great moments.

Shallan bluffing her way into the Nightbloods.

(I kind of wanted to see her bluff her way to the top, dramatically reveal herself, then somehow scam them all into helping her save the world.)

Then she smiled. Oh, storms. She smiled anyway.

It was the single most beautiful thing he’d seen in his entire life.

“How?” he asked.

I burst into tears when I read this part. So sad, especially 'cause the reason she can still smile like that is partly because she's hidden her past behind lies. She went a bit insane, as she puts it.

Yeah, whenever Wit's around it's a good time, generally.

Dalinar showing Amaram what for. Finally.

Kaladin and Shallan make it out of the chasm, aww yes!

OATH GATE, OOHAHA

Dalinar binds the STORMFATHER?

"I know the oaths. C'mon, I need to be a radiant."

I DON'T WANT TO.

"... Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination..."

NO. I DON'T DO THIS SORT OF THING.

"... I will unite instead of divide. I will bring men together..."

... FINE, WHATEVER. BUT I'M NOT ANSWERING YOUR CALLS, I HOPE YOU KNOW.

Renarin's a radiant! Dalinar's a radiant! Shallan's a radiant! Kaladin's a radiant! Lopen's a radiant! Everyone's a radiant! They all know! No more secrets! ... Mostly!

Sadeas gets his comeuppance? Not entirely sure how I feel about this scene. It was a long time coming, though.

Hi! New to the forum, but absolutely loved this book.

My favorite parts were:

Kaladin vs. Szeth

Adolin/Shallan poop discussion LOL

The Lopen glowing

Kaladin and Shallan in the chasms,

and Adolin and Kaladin laying the smackdown in the arena

Favorite part, definitely all of the Kaladin Shallan arguments.

"No. Boots."

God I laughed so hard there. But I really loved when they both started yelling insults at each other in the king's palace.

Wit would have passed a kidney stone watching that.

So many!  Much of what has already been said, plus here's some other things gave me teh shivers:

Kaladin stepping up to challenge Amaram after his duel.  Stupid, stupid...and yet so Kaladin. 

Adolin putting himself in prison as protest to Kaladin being in prison, cologne--baths, and all.   Adolin offering Kaladin Shards, and Kaladin again refusing them, and Adolin reacting like "Huh? Really? Well, ok...weirdo" as contrast to how Amaram reacted. 

Elhokar asking Kaladin for help at being a leader, and even apologizing for having put Kaladan in prison, admitting his reasons were childish.

Kaladin flying for the first time! 

Shallan summoning her own Shardblade when Renarin's and Adolin's didn't work to open the Oathgate, revealing her powers when needed rather than continuing to weave a lie.  (And in general, main characters pretty well helping each other when it made sense to rather than bickering or being all mad because They Didn't Need a Woolhead to Save Them/Aes Sedai to Control Them/etc.)

This is a small thing, but it really got me:  When Shallan is playing with her Lightweaving ability in her room in Seberial's warcamp and Pattern tries to push her to acknowledge something of her past, and so she Lightweaves a broken scared girl huddled up on her bed, unable to do anything. She thinks to herself that this is the real Shallan, while the woman she had become instead is just a lie she has created for herself.  That was a really well-done little tidbit of her arc.

Renarin saying "I see," when explaining what his order does.  (I do wish we'd get a Renarin point of view--all we ever get of him is what others see of him)

Shen! Being a spy (how many people totally called that?)...but also...still being Bridge Four.  And seeing that his people have transformed into something horrible and even saying that killing them is better than letting them do what they're trying to do. 

Kaladin flying for the first time (of course it is not so much "flying" as it is "falling with style). Totally had a Wax and Kelsier feel. Brandon really likes his characters to fly.

Wit/Kaladin/Adolin/Shallan combo "You! Me!" was hilarious. Would like to have Seen more between Wit and Shall an.

The stormfight at the end. Kaladin dropping from the sky like a blue comet with rain and thunder and mass chaos, ready to kick butt and take names. Priceless.

Oh and everything else as well.

The coming of the Shardspear.

Dalinar blocking a Honorblade with his bare hands

The long-awaited "The brightlady has a Shardblade?"

Dalinar giving speeches.

A lightning bolt getting thrown at Adolin and him tanking it, as his Shardplate served its original intended purpose of protecting against Voidbringers.

Dalinar bonding Stormfather.

Nightblood! He's back!

Shardspear! Called that one.

Nightblood! Definately didn't call that one.

Kaladin jumping down into the arena, casually.

All of the Kaladin/Shallan interaction, particularly the chasm. I'm not going to apologize for shipping this couple.

Lopen's advice to get Syl a hat!! "If a tailor tries to charge you full price for a hat that small, you thump him real good!"

Most of my favorites have been listed multiple times.

But one in particular that hasn't that often is Sadeas and Adolin at the end. I know it doesn't confirm with Journey Before Destination, but if ever there was an ends justify the means moment it was then and Adolin executed it perfectly.

Adolin is a very sympathetic and great character in WoR. (In fact I think he got the best character development of anyone except Shallan.) I think his character could be a good way to introduce a little nuance into the black and white morality system created by Honor we got going. So far the books have portrayed everyone who is a journey before destination as purely good, and everyone who has been ends justify the means as the avatar of evil.