Your favourite moments in WOR? (spoilers)

Aniki

I thought Kaladin, Adolin and Shallan recognising Wit/Hoid in succession was hilarious

"You!" "Me!"

Any scene involving Wit, really.

Lopen regrowing his arm was definitely one of the most epic moments in the book. Sadly this means no more 'armless' jokes.

Finding out Syl can turn into any type of weapon at will. I wonder if this is unique to her.

Finally, Kaladin/Shallan interactions in the chasms.

The boots.

The massive arena duel.

Syl defying the Stormfather to come back to Kaladin (not going to lie, that brought tears to my eyes even through the third read of that section) coupled with Kaladin becoming a full radiant and declaring the Radiants returned.

Kaladin's second fight with Szeth (primarily him saving Dalinar and then declaring that the winds and the sky were his).

The gathering of the 4 Radiants.

And finally, Hoid conversing with the creatures while waiting for Jasnah to appear (which I KNEW would happen, Brandon you tricksey trickster!).

And that's just off the top of my head. 

Adolin murdering Sadeas in cold blood. That was heavy .. I mean Brandon did some foreshadowing here, but i never actually believed Adolin would be able to kill him outside of a duel. Way to go, boy. I guess this character just got more interesting.

Edited by HydrogenAlpha

Adolin murdering Sadeas in cold blood. That was heavy .. I mean did some foreshadowing here, but i never actually believed Adolin would be able to kill him outside of a duel. Way to go, boy. I guess this character just got more interesting.

Yes he did. I SO did not call that one. 

It also bears mentioning the following:

One cousin is dead (at least so he thinks). His betrothed just skyrocketed past him in social standing from out of nowhere. His father, instead of fading away eventually-as it looked like might happen-just became one of the four most important people currently around. His younger, weaker, brother just got launched up there too. Not to mention a certain dark eyed gentleman, who happened to spend a night in a highstorm with his betrothed, sharing their deepest darkest secrets while huddled together in a mess of tangled hair and limbs, also became important (alongside this certain betrothed).

This leaves Adolin-who was supposed to be one of the most important people around-as an outsider, even to his own family and betrothed.

Adolin does not have happy times ahead of him me-thinks.

I really don't want to see the story go that direction... Adolin going Whiny because he's not a radiant would just be annoying. And I hope the Kal Adolin Love triangle never gets touched. Ever. Kal can find a nice girl that isn't Shallan.

Can I upvote this 9,000 times? I saw the start of the triangle and started yelling at Brandon not to do it. When I see him at a signing, I'm going to beg him not to.

On a slightly related note, I've been wondering this for a while, but is it mentioned anywhere why Sadeas doesn't seem to have a child/heir? In fact, other than Dalinar's kids, the other heirs/children of the Highprinces seem to be really in the background.... 

I really don't want to see the story go that direction... Adolin going Whiny because he's not a radiant would just be annoying. And I hope the Kal Adolin Love triangle never gets touched. Ever. Kal can find a nice girl that isn't Shallan.

I´m somewhat torn on the triangle as well. Very high potentiall of ruining a story, but by now never mentioning it again would be kinda taking the easy way out. Brandon might be able to make this engaging if it stays in the background.

I´m somewhat torn on the triangle as well. Very high potentiall of ruining a story, but by now never mentioning it again would be kinda taking the easy way out. Brandon might be able to make this engaging if it stays in the background.

Love triangles are obnoxious stories, and anyone that is truly conflicted over who to be with is debating between two wrong people.  When a person is right, you know.

Yes he did. I SO did not call that one.

It also bears mentioning the following:

One cousin is dead (at least so he thinks). His betrothed just skyrocketed past him in social standing from out of nowhere. His father, instead of fading away eventually-as it looked like might happen-just became one of the four most important people currently around. His younger, weaker, brother just got launched up there too. Not to mention a certain dark eyed gentleman, who happened to spend a night in a highstorm with his betrothed, sharing their deepest darkest secrets while huddled together in a mess of tangled hair and limbs, also became important (alongside this certain betrothed).

This leaves Adolin-who was supposed to be one of the most important people around-as an outsider, even to his own family and betrothed.

Adolin does not have happy times ahead of him me-thinks.

I can definitely see BS killing Adolin off in the next few books.

I don't think asking him not to expand on the love triangle will help, since it has already been heavily foreshadowed and he' s apparently plotted the whole series beforehand.

Edited by Endymion

I can definitely see BS killing Adolin off in the next few books.

I don't think asking him not to expand on the love triangle will help, since it has already been heavily foreshadowed and he' s apparently plotted the whole series beforehand.

I don't think he has plotted out the whole series.  He discusses the fact he has to have written and finalized the first book before he can plot the second on Writing Excuses at least once.  He knows some things, but not others.

And frankly, Kal hasn't had so much as a single romantic thought towards Shallan.  It's obvious he respects her greatly, and that every guy in the SA finds her attractive.  But Kal has also said No Lighteyes ever.  I'm hoping he holds to the idea he likes Darkeyed women.

* Adolin's duel-with-four that Kaladin and Renarin stepped in to rescue him from.

* Shallan's exploration of the Santhid (combined with the Santhid obviously rescuing her)

* Hoid's visit to Shallan early in Shallan's childhood

* Shallan telling Pattern she hates him.

I will speak to Brandon for those readers who cannot speak for themselves.

*Shallan using her Blade in the tent.

*First fight with Szeth

*Finding out Odium is trapped in their system

*Szeth reborn- At first I went ugh but after he got his new sword I was convinced 

*Adolin killing Sadeas- I see him fleeing the City sometime in the next book

Well most of my favorite "moments" have been stated, so instead I'll quote this epigraph after which reading I did a double take and then laughed for quite a while:

“When Simol was informed of the arrival of the Edgedancers, a concealed consternation and terror, as is common in such cases, fell upon him; although they were not the most demanding of orders, their graceful, limber movements hid a deadliness that was, by this time, quite renowned; also, they were the most articulate and refined of the Radiants.

I read that last line and thought, Lift is their representative now? Genius brandon. Edited by Awesomeness Summoned

I don't think he has plotted out the whole series.  He discusses the fact he has to have written and finalized the first book before he can plot the second on Writing Excuses at least once.  He knows some things, but not others.

And frankly, Kal hasn't had so much as a single romantic thought towards Shallan.  It's obvious he respects her greatly, and that every guy in the SA finds her attractive.  But Kal has also said No Lighteyes ever.  I'm hoping he holds to the idea he likes Darkeyed women.

You might want to reread the chasm part and the parts immediately afterward. Kaladin is obviously interested, and even admits to himself that he is jealous of Adolin.  In addition, Shallan is interested back, thinking that it isn't Adolin's fault that he isn't brilliant like Kaladin is, then goes of a two paragraph gush about what she finds attractive about him. During this gush she ignores Adolin talking to her.

Now, this doesn't mean that they are going to fall in love forever or anything.  But clearly SOMETHING has to happen there.

Shallan changes Pattern's blade to a long knife when she is cutting out the cuddle hole before the high storm hits.

damnation, I completely missed that. Will have to go reread that section, thanks for pointing it out. 

For me, (no one is suprised) it was Renarin joining Bridge 4. I was completely unprepared for that one and my reaction to that chapter was... rather high-pitched. Oops.

I really wanted to see Adolin's reaction to finding out about that scene though. Like, I'm sure it was hilarious.

Adolin: "Renarin. You can't do this. Bridgeboy, tell him he can't do this."
Kaladin: "I'm pretty sure he already did, Princeling."
Adolin: "Renarin, he is making you wash dishes. That uniform is terrible. SERIOUSLY YOU JOINED BRIDGEBOY'S SQUAD THING?. We can find you another squad."
Renarin: "...But I like Bridge 4."
Adolin: "FAAAAATHER RENARIN'S DOING A THING."
Dalinar: "I think it's an excellent idea."
Adolin: "STORM EVERYTHING."

Two things in particular come to mind -

"Hello.  Would you like to destroy some evil today?"

I laughed when everyone's favorite friendly (and boy, is it friendly!) evil-destroying sword turned up unexpectedly.

Also, Jasnah's reappearence in the epilogue.  I found it a bit of a waste that Sanderson killed her off when he did.  So her reappearence makes me happy.  I'm hoping we see a lot more of her in future books.

One of my favorite moments in the book was while Shallan and Kaladin were in the chasms, where they are having the conversation about how "spoiled" Shallan had been. When he looks into her eyes and sees that she has seen the same sort of horrors as he has and is just as broken, yet she smiles through the pain. This moment to me is a major turning point for Kaladin, he realizes that just because his life has been hard doesn't mean that he has to be a complete chull to everyone.

I also absolutely loved multiple scenes that have already been mentioned :)

Finding out Syl can turn into any type of weapon at will. I wonder if this is unique to her.

Pattern changed into a knife, Jasnah's sword was not huge, but potentially can be.

I really hope it's not going to be a love triangle. Looks to me Shallan fits well with Adolin, since he is always making her smile and he's not "broken", like Kaladin is.

I also hope Sadeas' murder will not break Adolin. I see him a good Skybreaker - taking justice into his own hands, always confident... but I really hope he does not become one, and instead stays Shallan's anchor to humanity...

Favorite moments... when Syl changed shard-shapes, when Dalinar bonded Stormfather, when Adolin used ironstance, when Wit met Shallan...

Edited by marianmi