Naming the letter in WoR (minor spoilers)

Chaos

I wanted a thread where we name what the letter in book two should be called. Either "The Letter Response", or, what I prefer: "The Second Letter". I prefer the Second Letter because then if there is a third or fourth letter, it's a more sustainable term to call it.

Thoughts?

I think we should start titling these in regards to their content, if there will be more. At some point, either Hoid or the Dragon will issue an ultimatum regarding their course of action, and we'll want to refer to them by content for clarity.

Hoid's letter 1

Dragon's letter 1...

HL1

DL1

the next hoid letter (response to the response) would be HL2 and so on...

That way it is clear as exchanges continue which exchange and which half of the exchange you are referring to?

I would say that we either go with first, second and so on or name them after the books. Both is clear on what letter is meant even to people that don´t know about our decision.

Personally I like the first letter variante, just sounds better to me.

Personally I've been referring to it as The Response.  I like the simplicity.  As for sustainability I think it could work (Letter/Response/SecondLetter/SecondResponse) and it would help differentiate the missives written by Hoid and those by the Dragon?

Personally I've been referring to it as The Response.  I like the simplicity.  As for sustainability I think it could work (Letter/Response/SecondLetter/SecondResponse) and it would help differentiate the missives written by Hoid and those by the Dragon?

That is what I've been calling it in my head too, that or the Dragon's Response. 

At this point I think it's find to keep it as "the Letter" and "the Response" since we have a couple of years before book three will be out and may or may not have a 3rd one (though it is likely). 

Also - how on earth are they exchanging letters? The 17th Shard people can't even locate Hoid... how are they leaving notes for each other? 

I felt the Response wasn't as fun as the Letter. For some reason I'm picturing a Dragon speaking in a British accent wearing a smoking jacket dictating this letter to someone else in his library somewhere. 

For now, The Letter and The Response will work.  I don't think we need to bother changing that until the next book, at the very least.

Also, the fact that the Dragon also doesn't like Rayse is pretty telling, don't you think?  It's not just Hoid/Wit who thinks he's dangerous.  It's just that they have a different attitude toward what can be done.

• 2 weeks later...

Who is the dragon

His name is unknown right now. He is from Yolen, so I'm of the opinion we have never met him on-screen.

I still think the Second Letter is the best name for this :P I don't think we should give them fancy names, personally.

Well of course it wasn't as fun...HOID wrote the first one. Some dragon with a dry and sarcastic sense of humor wrote this one.

It's a letter from a dragon!

Okay so... We don't know what sort of a dragon it is, or even what the word dragon translates out to in the cosmere- and I wonder if it's significant that no Shardworld we've seen has examples of the Shards trying to create dragons the way they did humans- but still! A giant dragon, writing a giant letter with a giant pen at a giant desk!

Oh, and I was calling it the Second Letter, but the Response is probably better.

Do we have confirmation that the dragon is directing the 17th Shard? Yes, Hoid refers to them as 'your friends' in his letter, but I always thought that that was a tad sarcastic; that the Dragon is a neutral party in the conflict, rather than actively supporting one side or the other.

Do we have confirmation that the dragon is directing the 17th Shard? Yes, Hoid refers to them as 'your friends' in his letter, but I always thought that that was a tad sarcastic; that the Dragon is a neutral party in the conflict, rather than actively supporting one side or the other.

I suppose it's open for interpretation, but I didn't get a sense of sarcasm there, I thought it was pretty specific. we'll have to wait and see I guess. I don't think there is any official confirmation that the dragon directs the 17th Shard. 

I suppose it's open for interpretation, but I didn't get a sense of sarcasm there, I thought it was pretty specific. we'll have to wait and see I guess. I don't think there is any official confirmation that the dragon directs the 17th Shard. 

I didn't get the sarcasm here either. My impression was that the dragon has authority over the 17th shard, though for some reason I can't quite put my finger on, I didn't assume it to be their leader. Maybe because I imagine a dragon sitting around non-intervening on it's pile of gold sipping tea or something,  :rolleyes:

I think either The Nth Letter or the Response is good, but for the sake of easiness and clarity when the next books comes out, it should probably be The Nth Letter. The Nth Hoid/Dragon Letter would work too, but it maybe a bit wordy.

Edited by Delightful

• Chaos locked this topic