WoR Chapter 84 code

Satsuoni

I tried translating the - "every second letter starting with the first and second" into java code, no sucess.

used:

http://pastebin.com/qn47zWvj

got:

1) AbttytbidtisbistattbdBttbisRaiatiiapiityyaittistidCaatsatssCaataap
2)eeatbeaaeWatiteaetpTePaeieteYeteyaeteiipieePuteletitetyteutitbeetiebtaiteipeItillabie

Another thought maybe every second letter starting with the first and second means take the second letter from all Paragraph that start with 1 or 2 like 15 = 1 and 27=2 but not all of them contain 1 or 2 =/

Edit: decided on pastebin ;). I was too lazy before.
Edited by shinintendo

With my method, I seem to have managed to get the word "shatter" to appear.  I have no clue if this route leads anywhere though...

For those that missed it, I'm assuming that the entire thing is actually two phrases, either alternating or separated at some point.  Assuming the alternating letters creates two phrases idea, I have managed to decrypt the following by using every other letter starting with the first:

.at.r.e.ete..e...a....atshatter.e.e..h

Line:

['18', '10', '12', '24', '51', '01', '11', '02', '11', '12', '11', '17', '44', '11', '71', '42', '14', '10', '61', '14', '41', '22', '10', '12', '27', '15', '10', '12', '12', '11', '51', '57', '11', '34', '11', '91', '21', '15']

Substitution rule (Python Dictionary):

decrypt1 = {'01':'.', '02':'.', '10':'a', '11':'e', '12':'t', '14':'.', '15':'h', '17':'.',
            '18':'.', '21':'.', '22':'.', '24':'.', '27':'s', '34':'.', '41':'.', '42':'.',
            '44':'.', '51':'r', '57':'.', '61':'.', '71':'.', '91':'.'}

Python Code: http://pastebin.com/GLvKu6R1

I'd like to reiterate the Keep It Simple approach... code is great for a lot of things.  If this gets bruteforced, it would completely cheapen the experience.  Let's trust in Sanderson's literary awesome.   

I agree. Alethi script, Thaylen script, and Alethi glyphs are all extremely simple in their execution.  While automation is certainly helpful for testing out keys, I doubt Taravangian had a computer at his disposal.

My gut feeling is that the code is syllable based, and the decryption key will end up resembling something like this:

a2BILmD.png

edit: And I think the number parsing will look something like this:

qGRLlGk.png

118 25
10 11 12 71 24 9 151 2 10 101 114 10 2 151 17 112 10 11 121
71 34 48 31 110 71 51 42 54 14 34 109 16 14 91 49 34 121 22 54 10 10 12 51 27 10
151 9 10 11 12 34 12 55 11 52 51 21 57 55 11 12 34 10 11 12 9 15 12
106 15 34

post-1847-0-78964300-1394306294_thumb.pn

post-1847-0-41162700-1394307678_thumb.pn

Edited by Harakeke

All Brandon would say at the signing is that "the key is in the book". He was quite specific about that and repeated it a couple of times. There may be some hidden meaning or not so hidden meaning in that. He wouldn't answer about pattern 15. Even after I begged :)

Most of it had been written in an alien script—a language he himself had devised, for the scripts he had known had been unable to convey ideas precisely enough. Fortunately, he’d thought to carve a key on the top of his bedside table, otherwise they wouldn’t have been able to make sense of his masterpiece.

Red herring...? or is there a carved nightstand somewhere in the book?

Edit: the above quote is from T's interlude =D

Edited by Leiyan

Unfortunately there is no "ode to the carved bedside table" in the epigraphs. In search for a key there are several possibilities:

1.) Epigraphs of part 5 (perhaps also the others, but I like to keep it "simple")

2.) Taravangian Interlude

3.) Graves passages (he wants to introduce Moash to the diagram, so he is related to Taravangian)

4.) Information about Cryptics (Patterns name and his state before bonding can only be described by numbers properly)

5:) Amaram chapters - he seems to know a lot he shouldn't

Edit:

6.) The Ketek on Navani's notebook

Since it's getting late, more tomorrow - perhaps I get an apricity-like dream ;-)

@Harakeke: Did you make progress with Alethi glyphs?

Edited by Pattern

@Pattern. A fair bit -- I posted the basics of a working key in the other thread. I've exhausted most of the easily legible glyphs, and the calligraphic ones give me a headache.  So I'm taking a break for a while and just reading.   :)

Hmmm for a radial pattern, if you look at the map of Roshar, the stamp on the lower right corner is written in a rotation.

Glyphs can be written three ways:

• "standard" blocky glyphs that are similar to Thaylen. e.g. Name labels on the battle maps
  • "radial" circular glyphs that are warped rotationally e.g. The glyph on the Kharbaranth illustration 
  • "calligraphic" glyphs that are warped artistically e.g. the Bridge 4 Tattoos.

The one underneath the cartographer's signature says something like "ReR<squiggle-squiggle>"

The "Compass Rose" glyph says something like "?S?N?K". That one uses some letters I haven't pinned down yet.

Unfortunately there is no "ode to the carved bedside table" in the epigraphs. In search for a key there are several possibilities:

1.) Epigraphs of part 5 (perhaps also the others, but I like to keep it "simple")

2.) Taravangian Interlude

3.) Graves passages (he wants to introduce Moash to the diagram, so he is related to Taravangian)

4.) Information about Cryptics (Patterns name and his state before bonding can only be described by numbers properly)

5:) Amaram chapters - he seems to know a lot he shouldn't

Since it's getting late, more tomorrow - perhaps I get an apricity-like dream ;-)

@Harakeke: Did you make progress with Alethi glyphs?

6. The Ketek on Navani's notebook.   ;)

Edited by Harakeke

The pictures of Pattern included a smudged out note that says "I am almost certain I have seen this somewhere before. It shares some resemblance to----------- I observed in K---------- shat the----------

I wonder if the key isn't some form of Cryptic... We know Taravangian wrote the key on his bedside table. Could Shallan have seen him looking at it during The Way of Kings?

Edited by Aminar

What about that scene where

Pattern is explaining the patterns he sees in the message that Tyn was receiving from the Ghostbloods]

I'm pretty sure that he explained to Shallan how to puzzle it out.

I'm pretty sure what Shallan saw that looked like Pattern was on the doors of the Palinaeum, which would make sense... Checking out the Pattern section now.

I can't make hide nor hare of the pattern on page 481... The example Shallan uses doesn't even seem to fit the code(a function of translation from Alethi perhaps.) That doesn't mean it isn't important though....

Edited by Aminar

Ok, my annealing algorthm got stuck in the "the" rut:

"tthetimwhatethatityblandftbvxhhisjezthathetherthhofthethwickingtheereaqutinthethestex"

I have modified the scoring and am now trying the suggestion of splitting it into odd/even substrings, as proposed above.

It spit out rayze once :)

"ewhefringthespudceocrrayzeheevameboar"

Also something weird, like

"okathedorwoumysouloftreeingboothewo"

I am starting to think there are a lot of decodings made out of real words but meaning nothing...

I need a better scoring system.

In the image preceding Chapter 11, there are what seem to be glyphs or letters in blocks on the top and bottom of the illustration.  They look like decorations at first glance but at second and third, they could be Alethi script, or some other form of writing?

I mentioned the radial stamp because it might be a way of laying out the numbers to possibly form coherent words?

Those are the Thaylen alphabet, and Harakeke has already decoded it. It's just a naval chart, and those are numbers for longitude.

Ninjas! Ninjas everywhere :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:<_< <_< <_<

But what he said.

Edited by Satsuoni

Maybe this was already mentioned, but what if the epigraph from chapter 86 ("One is almost certainly a traitor to the others.") is indicating that we must remove the 1's from the code? That would bring us to an 88 character-long code looking like this:

8250272495200402572027344830754254434096494934222540025270590234255525257552340295206534

Ok, annealing half of the message (even positions only) gave once a string "raredaycantitevereeiseehipkyq"

and "raredaywantitevereeiseehigfyk" which seems... promising, I guess

H O W T H E 7 E 4 9 15 E T T H 14 T 2 15 H 7 H 2 T H E 17 13

4 4 8 3 H T 7 15 14 W 4 14 3 4 T 9 16 14 9 14 9 3 4 E E W 4 T T E 5   

E 7 T 15 19 T H E 3 4 E 5 5 H 5 W E 15 7 5 5 H E 3 4 T H E 9 15 E T 6 15 3 4

Is the best I could come up with tonight. :P It's probably dead-wrong, but who knows? Someone could see something useful there. :)

What about that scene where

Pattern is explaining the patterns he sees in the message that Tyn was receiving from the Ghostbloods]

I'm pretty sure that he explained to Shallan how to puzzle it out.

I have tried that, there is only one explicit sample given. I have posted it somewhere in this thread, but it looked much like a dead end. To summarize: There were quintets of letters, three of which would be used by the ghostbloods at the beginning of a correspondence (first three words beginning with those three letters) and letter 4 and five would by used by Tyn (selection from the quintet which was started). Thats no "code" but just an authentication procedure.

@Aminar: Shallan has many sheets of spanreed paper from earlier correspondences, which are not shown to the reader.

Earlier conversations are not shown from the beginning, but only lots of stuff the Ghostbloods write. They would write that stuff only after authenitcation was successful, right?

@Harakeke: Looks like you moved your post about the frostish map. Did you also do the numbers/letters on the border of the map? 

What I didn't see on that map some days ago were the lines across the map. Lines running from top to bottom connect the same symbols (geographical lenght). But: There are 5 different sets of lines which intersect in one point.

1.) North of Shattered Plains

2.) Southeast of scipt "KR" from Alethkar

3.) left border of the map, same geographical width as The Shalllow Crypts

4.) small one South West corner

5.) on ocean, above "STHRN"

There is one line in each set connecting the same numbers on top and bottom of the map - that would again be meridian.

The other lines marking directions.

The "south line" of the biggest compass rose ends on the bottom line on "°". From this point, 4 readable symbols are ordered symmetrically (naming degrees east and west from 0-Meridian). Therefore I would propose as translation table for numbers:

gallery_9681_9_3015.png

Ok, can that help us to crack the code? I don't know. Perhaps we can translate numbers to Thaylen symbols, look which Alethi glyphs can be built from them, take their sound (like on Amarams maps, stormwarden script) and build hopefully English words with them.

Edit: Ah, I've found your thread abouth Thaylen script and Alethi glyphs. Very nice job there: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/6487-thaylen-and-alethi-glyph-translation-spoilers/page-2

Edited by Pattern