(OB) So... what happened to Aesudan

Toaster Retribution

1 hour ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Yelig-Nar possessed her at Kholinar, but he (it?) appears again at Thaylen City and gives Amaram his new killer look. Yelig-Nar is said to consume his victims. While he failed to do so with Amaram, do we think he succeeded with Aesudan? Is she dead and gone now?

She is most likely gone. Given that we know Yelig-Nar consumes his victims, that he's present for the Battle of Thaylen City, and that Odium implied she was eaten, it seems like a safe bet.

Beyond that, she struck me as a kind of Useful Idiot to Odium, and accordingly the sort of person who's best off being liquidated once you take over. She was playing around with the powers of the Unmade, with all the disastrous consequences that entails, but if she'd been serving Odium directly and/or intentionally, it seems like it wouldn't have been hard for her to open the gates and end the seige quickly. Drop a couple of Fused into the palace complex, use them and the Queen's Guard to storm one of the gates with a force of Parshmen waiting outside, then advance the whole army. 

1 hour ago, Heir of the Void said:

Beyond that, she struck me as a kind of Useful Idiot to Odium, and accordingly the sort of person who's best off being liquidated once you take over. She was playing around with the powers of the Unmade, with all the disastrous consequences that entails, but if she'd been serving Odium directly and/or intentionally, it seems like it wouldn't have been hard for her to open the gates and end the seige quickly. Drop a couple of Fused into the palace complex, use them and the Queen's Guard to storm one of the gates with a force of Parshmen waiting outside, then advance the whole army. 

I think Aesudan wanted to use the power of the Unmade for her own goals, not Odium's. She believed she could control it, and well, she was wrong. If we look at what Yelig-nar did to Amaram in the.. 10 minutes? that he was fighting Kaladin, I think Aesudan's definitely gone.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, digitalbusker said:

She went to live on a farm.

Sure, that's what they always tell you.

Loosing your heart and lungs is a pretty hard condition to come back from, even plucky "Let them eat cake" Asuedan would probably find it difficult.

54 minutes ago, Weltall said:

She didn't read the fine print on the warning label. "Consumption of Yelig-nar's gemstone may cause spontaneous crystal growths, the replacement of your entire internal organ system, delusions of grandeur, voidbinding powers and maybe the consumption of your soul. Consult your ardent to decide if Yelig-nar is right for you before ingesting."

At this point, I'm fairly sure a signfigant plot point in Book 4 or 5 will be Sigzil leading a class action lawsuit, The People v. Blightwind in order to seal Yelig-nar away. 

It's going to be great.

@hoiditthroughthegrapevine Haha, nice job there.

@Heir of the Void That sounds awesome. In fact, you could turn it into an entire legal thriller series. The Skyeel Brief. To Kill a Larkin. Twelve Angry Listeners... And it all culminates in the explosive finale, Ardent Attorney, in which Odium is tried and sentenced to splintering as a result of the heroic arguments of Sigzil and his co-counsel Venli and Hoid is the presiding judge.

1 hour ago, Weltall said:

@Heir of the Void That sounds awesome. In fact, you could turn it into an entire legal thriller series. The Skyeel Brief. To Kill a Larkin. Twelve Angry Listeners... And it all culminates in the explosive finale, Ardent Attorney, in which Odium is tried and sentenced to splintering as a result of the heroic arguments of Sigzil and his co-counsel Venli and Hoid is the presiding judge.

Hahaha, rad!

Here's a scene from to Kill a Larkin:

SCENE: Yelig-nar figdets nervously on the witness stand, sweating black vaporous tendrils of sweat, and glances nervously at Odium who is idly playing with a pencil, looking bored at the Defense's table. His defense Attorney, Taravangian is noticeably tense as Sigzil approaches the witness:

SIGZIL: So, how do you explain your recent behavior, Yelig-Nar?
YELIG-NAR: (still glancing nervously at Odium): Well, it's like my daddy always told me, “You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view … until you climb into his skin and walk around in it.”, Isn't that right papa?

Odium stabs himself in the head with his pencil.

SIGZIL: The prosecution rests your Honor, err.. I mean your Wit.

Scene from Ardent Attorney:

“And what, exactly, are these charges?”

“Your Wit. Multiple counts of attempted genocide, which each time lead to millions of deaths.”

“Truly horrific.”

“Indeed, your Wit. However, none of this can match up to his worst crime: the enslavement of the Dawnsinger race.”

The Fused watching the trial from the balcony gasped. Muffled whispers of “It was true, then. All along, what we believed were lies of the Alethi were just attempts to save us.” and other such discussion was audible to Sigzil. He smiled. His work was done.

He soon wiped his grin off his face, however, when he saw what the defendant was doing. Rayse, enraged, had started emitting an aura of golden, blinding light.

“I will kill you all!” Odium continued to release his Shardic energies at a tremendous rate, causing the very foundaion of the court to shake. Even the Wit’s shouts of “Order!” could but add to the deafening, ever-growing noises that enveloped the courtroom.

Sigzil was panicking. Everywhere he looked, nothing anyone was doing was helping against Odium’s relentless assaults and tirades. They was, until the doors to the courtroom were flung open with a Bang!

They looked towards the doorway. In the frame stood a bald figure with the robes of an ardent. The defendant, surprisingly, was trembling, whilst the Wit grew calm, almost as if recognizing the monk.

“And to what is it that we owe the pleasure of your visit, lord Harmony?”

“Why, Hoid, nothing less than proof of the defendant Odium’s involvemen in a conspiracy for galactic domination and enslavement of all free races.”

• Chaos locked this topic