Long Game 3: Blackwater Village

Peng the Just

I'm going to vote for Wark.  Most people are jumping on the bandwagon without giving Mabi a chance to defend.  Wark however has had a chance and didn't say anything.  If I remember correctly Wark's backstory also has him being hit by a piece of flying tin that embedded itself into his eye.  How do we know that piece of tin didn't go through another before it hit him and turned Wark into a spiked tineye.  Hiding your spike through rp is a good way to throw off suspicion..

But I did see translation below.

"I voted for Xaneth as I reckon that splitting the vote does more harm than good and only benefits the spiked.  At the time there was only three voters, Mabi, Maw and myself.  Dane had dropped out.  I would have voted for Mabi as every time that she's been nominated ther has been action taken on her tally.  But at two votes to one there would be no gain except to Xaneth if he was spiked."

Also, I would to point out that my back story, along with most others was concoted prior to roles being handed out. Everyone was way to keen to start.  That would imply Pengs assigning of roles was not random.

Edited for spelling

Edited by el_warko

In Defense of Mabi, I, being the Village Soother, have soothed her twice. because i hate it when good roleplayers die. Now How ever, I am taking my soothing orders from Gamma, so I am not soothing Mabi this time. unless he tells me to.

Gamma is here by declared to be The Hero Of Pages!

Sidenote, Game 4: I Call being Jedo, he who protects those who are to inactive to protect themselves.

EDIT: I'm still voting Mabi because Gamma said to.

Edited by The Only Joe

I do apologize Wark.  I saw your post and just quickly scanned it without bothering to decipher your speech.  I edited my post to remove the text implying this after I did a full read.  As for your rping, I really enjoy it and believe you planned it out before the game started as many of us did however it wouldn't be hard to change a few things on the fly once you got your role.

Meta dashed out of his shack carrying a sheaf of papers (I'm back, everyone! I wound up with an infected tooth due to my trip and am in great pain, but I'm back!). He ran out into the crowd, hoping to add his superior detective reasoning to the crowd when he found that many people had already made up their minds. He stumbled to a stop and gawked at the crowd.

"No," he said. "This isn't how it's supposed to work... You're supposed to deliberate and cast accusations around! You're supposed to make them work for it! You're being drawn into a crowd mentality and allowing it to cloud your judgement and I have proof!"

He started handing out sheets to everyone, filled with his sloppy penmanship and stains from various drinks and food:

First off, Mabi is likely an innocent (How Meta knew to write this down first will always be a mystery of the ages). First of all, Asp was ardent about killing Mabi within the first few days. Not only spoken to the group, but also within my personal interviews with him. It is doubtful that he would push so hard for one of his own.

I have completed my research of the past few days and of the few scraps of evidence I found at each crime scene and have compiled the following suspects. 

• Clan - While his reasoning is sound, he also kept trying to force the vote towards Mabi. Considering what we know of Asp's intentions, this does not bode well for him. Along the same lines, both Clan and Asp decided to use statistics. This in and of itself is not damning, but there is a chance that there was something of a subtle influence within the Spiked to try to use statistics to hide their agenda. 
  • Mac - He only voted for Asp after there was a good majority of votes already upon him. Possibly a Spiked hiding within the vote. Not to mention that he was the voice to drive this vote into bandwagon territory. 
  • Dane - Hasn't contributed much beyond the RP. His votes have been safe, when and if he votes at all. His lack of anything to go off of might mean he's hiding something.
  • Vizinni - Similar to Dane. 
  • Alon - He makes a good case for himself, but could it also be an easy means to hide an ulterior motive? (Note: I'm not trying to downplay the importance of real life, especially a funeral, so he is the least suspicious on my list)

"I suggest," Meta stated while handing out his papers. "That we cast the blame far and wide right now and see what sticks. Right now, you're all voting for one person. You're allowing yourselves to be fooled, especially since I already told you that our killers would likely not object to us killing one of our own."

I also request an extension. Considering this is becoming common, I suggest that our next GM take this into account when deciding their timeline.

Just blame it on you getting new to this new incarnation, Selvar. :P

That said, I am withdrawing my vote from Mabi. I only threw her name out to get some discussion going, not a bandwagon. I would like her to come and defend herself, still, because the more we have everybody talking the better, obviously.

Hey Vizzini and Alon, just remember that Wark argued to lynch Asp.  Or at least I think he did.  It was kind of difficult to figure out what he was saying.  

Vizzini suspects Wark because Wark isn't posting that much... The same can be applied to Vizzini.

Alon suspects Wark because Wark's RP is suspicious... The same can be applied to Alon (he showed up and the rest of his caravan had been killed... What if he killed them?)

Sorry guys been trying to get to a working computer for a while now, but my phone will have to do since there are so many people asking that I defend myself.

So first in my defense I was voting after the people that had initially voted against me when Asp had voted against me. That meant Clan or Xaneth. As there wasn't much discussion going on at the time I had to guess one before I went to sleep. When I woke up and finally got to a computer to see that Xaneth was a Connector I was disappointed that I had guessed wrong.

Mabi was going through emotional turmoil. She was in part responsible for the death of Xaneth who turned out to be a Connector or some such nonsense of magical power user. Still he was not against the village. He was not responsible for the death of Cyrus. For that she felt grief.

She was also in pain. She had followed the doctor's orders and had been treating her injuries with care. Going beyond her means to keep the bandages changed, the stiching clean, and not exerting herself keeping to the bed. But that did not mean that her wounds didn't hurt. Irritation and itching sensations intermingled with the pain making it hard for her to rest.

She was also hurting emotionally. This was not the first time that she had been suspected for the death of Cyrus. Some callused part of herself thought that she should be used to this now. That she should live out her words and be happy to have what little life she did have. But in combination with the grief and pain she found that she was losing her capacity to look at life with her normal positive attitude.

What could she say that would sway the hearts of men that she had known for the better part of a decade?

Mabi made her way toward the center of the crowd, leaning heavily on the crutch that The Doctor had provided her.

"You all have asked me to defend myself. And in truth I do not believe that I can sway the hearts and minds here that would see me dead."

"I can only say that I want to live. I would strip myself bare here standing in front of you if I thought that would sway your opinion. In fact I know some of you have seen me as such already and I see no shame in my form. But alas I know that some of you here will not be swayed by that and would rather see me dead for transgressions that I have not committed."

"I loved Cyrus and all that he represented. I owed. No I still owe my life to his efforts. I owe my freedom and over a decade of joy-filled memories to what he did. I would not be involved with such treachery against him." She ended with tears streaming down her face. She did not know whether the tears were from the emotions that she had touched upon, or that her wounds were ailing her. Whatever the case she found that she did not have the energy to continue her impassioned speech.

She started making her way back through the crowd and toward a seat. "If we must do this horrible thing then let it be so." She continued on her voice deadened, "The time that I voted first, I cast the stone against Xaneth. I was horribly wrong and I do not want to bear that guilt again."

"If the majority of you vote to kill me, then let it be so. As much as I would want to live, if I must continue to go through this life with suspicion continuing to be cast against me I will endure this bleak existence."

Well then, I guess I shall explain myself. On the first day I didn´t vote because we didn´t have anything solid to go on. I did try to make some discussion, though. For the second day I only voted after Asp outed himself because I was still arguing with Meta, if we should vote for him or try something else, for those that go back to look at it most of my arguments boiled down to "So we could try this convoluted thing or just vote for Asp, so any reason we shouldn´t just vote for Asp." Concerning the third day, I tried to get an argument rolling and I thought Xaneth was a bad vote and by the time that someone pointed out to me that Mabi is most likely innocent, because of the votes for her, coupled with the inactivety that would make getting enough votes on anyone pointless I just kinda gave up. But I tried, damm it!

For the going vote, as Chid pointed out to me, Asp vote on the first day for Mabi makes pretty much no sense if she was also spiked, which gives her a good alibi and Maw voted rather early for Asp, so I would put them low on my list. I still thing that on of the tree that voted yesterday is likely to be spiked.

Which leaves me with Wark.

Now on to the rollplay:

Dane set yet again over his ledgers. This time he even had to ask Cole for help just so he could finish these in time. They made good progress and were mostly finished when Alon barged in, wanting to talk. My am I proud of those guards. He signaled Cole to work on the ledgers alone for a while and calmly faced Alon.

"Okay, lets talk. A nice conversation to break up important work is always entertaining."

How many years was it when his teacher thought him to just go along with random stuff?

Flashback

A couple of days passed since Cyrus and... his colorful crew picked him up. Apparently, they wanted him to play their fake noble. To bring him up in shape they left him in the care of another crew member named Stei and he had a very strange way to teach.

"So why are we heading straight into an alley filled with thoughs, even if they are the mundane kind?" Dane asked.

"I want to see how they beat you up." Dane shot him a sidewards glare. Stei shruged his shoulders. "Boy, you are supposed to throw a quip back at me. Trust me, it´s great practice for improvisation. Which is also the reason you will talk those thugs of."

"Ah yes, given that you brought it up, what if they decide to beat me up."

"Meh, you´re thougher than you look and I will just apologize and swear to never again follow people dressed like nobles into dark alleys, even if they give me sweets. Anyway those suits look natural on you." With those words Stei just head into the alley.

Dane followed a little bit later. Stei was already surrounded by thoughs and they looked pissed. With a confident stride Dane headed to the group and gave one of the Skaa a slight tap with his cane.

"Would you not harm that Skaa, little one. Opposed to you he is at least somewhat valuable."

The thug faced Dane, anger in his eyes. Seeing his noble cloth gave him a pause. Let this follow up work. Dane quikly but smoothly pulled out a coin and pressed it agains the mans chest.

"These cloths are way more expensive than you, so lets not make us stain them, okay? Also, I would hate to annoy any Inquisitors with the clean up."

Some of his bluff seemed to hit the group, whatever exactly it was they decided to scramble. After a while Dane and Stei also headed back to the hideout. How did this work.

"We might make a actor out of you afterall." Stei said.

Dane clasped his hands behind his back and said "Skaa, starting from today you are also forbidden to follow anyone that wants to show you a puppy."

Stei laughted out and gave him a clasp on the shoulder, "Mist, I might end up being proud of you, if this continues."

Edited by Edgedancer

(I'm back, everyone! I wound up with an infected tooth due to my trip and am in great pain, but I'm back!).

I have completed my research of the past few days and of the few scraps of evidence I found at each crime scene and have compiled the following suspects. 

• Clan - While his reasoning is sound, he also kept trying to force the vote towards Mabi. Considering what we know of Asp's intentions, this does not bode well for him. Along the same lines, both Clan and Asp decided to use statistics. This in and of itself is not damning, but there is a chance that there was something of a subtle influence within the Spiked to try to use statistics to hide their agenda. 

:( Hope you feel better soon.

Regarding the Mabi thing. Saying I "kept trying to force the vote towards Mabi" is overstating things somewhat. I suggested that Mabi was one of those who we had any reason to be suspicious of the first day and voted accordingly. The second day I voted Mabi, less out of a belief that she was spiked and more because, as I explained at the time, we wanted to be wary of bandwagoning and someone needed to set up another option and Mabi still seemed vaguely suspicious (thoroughly paraphrased). And...that's it. Mabi hasn't really acted any more suspiciously since that first day and other people have. Which is why I didn't vote for or cry against her yesterday or today.

Regarding the statistics thing, well, if I was a spiked, both Asp and I using the stats as a barrier to hide behind would not be a great idea. As another note a good proportion of the stats I have figured I did because someone asked me for them. *shrug*

@Dane. That does make sense.

I'm not quite ready to vote yet though Wark does seem moderately suspicious I'm not convinced and we still have time. SO.

Vizzini care to explain why you haven't voted till today?

Yay, Meta is back!...Expresses suspicion of me in his first post....yay, meta is back : P

Edited by lord Claincy Ffnord

I would like it on the record that Dane has voted for and retracted Mabi twice on the third he voted Asp very late in the piece.

I have also maintained from the start that we need to commit to a lynching when they occur, split votes only help the spiked as they know who each other are and can effect the outcome.  

I have voted for Forage, Asp, Xaneth and Mabi for teh following reasons:  

Forage because he spoke in the third person - hardly the worst reason for a day one vote.

Asp was a bit of bandwagoning I'll admit.

Xaneth because as I stated previously if he was spiked, voting for someone else gave him more of a chance to escape his fate.  My gut said Mabi.

Mabi this time as she has had her votes fiddled with twice.  Joe has claimed that he is a soother and was acting under Gamut's instructions.  Gamut has not confirmed this. What is potentially going in Mabis favour right now is that while Gamut has changed his vote, Joe has not. In fact, I think I've just talked myself out of Mabi and into either Dane or Joe.

Mac was standing in the back when he heard Meta call out his name for a suspect.

"Me?"

Mac sat down surprised. He had never thought that his fellow villagers would turn on him... what had he said that made them look at him in this way?

So, for my reasoning behind the votes I have cast. I was the 4th to vote for Asp. Someone had to die and Gamut had a good case built up. I read Asp's defense and it seemed to me the best bet was to Kill him, then kill the informant if he didn't die. I won't say it wasn't bandwagoning, but it's not like I came in as the last vote to cover up my fishiness. You yourself voted for him later than I did Meta - so I don't see how that argument works against me in this situation.

As far as Mabi goes, I have been calling for her head the last 3 days. Something about her just seems suspicious to me and has for a while (I've said as much before). If I get a vote from the one "safe" character we have going against the person I have been wanting to vote, then yes - I am going to jump on that train.

As far as spreading the votes around, I feel you all are taking care of it - and I don't want to risk voting for someone I don't want to since I'm not always able to get on. I will change my vote if, in my opinion, someone is a better target - or Gamut makes a good point on why I should switch.

P.S. I think there is only 1 other vote for Mabi now? So, Hardly bandwagoning anymore ;)

*EDIT* I put together a list of the votes so far - let me know if I have an error:
Mabi(2) - Maw, Mac
Wark(3) - Vizzini, Vron, Dane
Mac(1) - Selvar
Maw(1) - Joe

Edited by Macen

I have also maintained from the start that we need to commit to a lynching when they occur, split votes only help the spiked as they know who each other are and can effect the outcome.  

When they effect the outcome, they also give themselves away. Anyone messing with a close vote will always be suspect and same for vote changing roles, which is why I always urge vote changing roles to be very careful. The best example of this is Xaneth. He knew he wasn't tying the vote, but no one else did and he's partially dead because of it. 

Having a close vote isn't a bad thing. Letting them effect the outcome isn't even a bad thing. The bad thing is then not learning from the information they've given you. 

Alon was fuming when he left the mansion.  Not only did Dane not fully understand the situation but he completely refused to allow Alon to lead any of his soldiers in the hunt for the bandits that had destroyed his wagons and killed his employees.

Doesn't the fool understand.  Normal bandits don't use obsidian weapons only those working for the obligators do.  And just why are they only attacking those that try to enter the village?  I was able to leave with a rich wagon train but for some reason they only attacked when I returned.

Reaching for the dagger at his side, Alon was surprised to find the sheath empty.  Oh right. I left it stuck in the table. Clasping his hands behind his back, Alon headed to the market.  

Shop signs creaking in the wind, several people were moving around getting the days chores done.  Shop keepers hawking their wares.  All were lost on Alon as he slowly moved past deep in thought.

Before he knew it Alon was standing in front of the barracks, a two storied wooden building.  The sounds of clashing swords could be heard from inside.  A plan began to form in his mind as he pushed open the plain wooden door.  Inside were several soldiers sparring with one another under the watchful eyes of the Master at arms.  A burly man with iron grey hair and a short trimmed beard.  His bare arms and shoulders were heavily muscled and steel cuffs encircled his wrists..  Lining the walls were several weapon racks and various suits of armor.

Walking up to the arms instructor, Alon loudly cleared his throat.  "Listerseed oil will take care of that."  the gruff voiced man spoke.  Turning around Alon could see that the mans eyes were a pale blue.  Holding up one hand he spoke "I know why your here and no you can't have any of my men for your suicide attack.  How did I know/  Dane sent a runner to me just before you arrived."

"I need to find the ones who did it.  They must have information on who's killing everyone in town." Alon said as he eyed the training soldiers.

"Look neighbor, you don't know how many there are, you don't know how well armed they are and you don't even know where they are.  So how will me giving you any soldiers help?" the gruff man said while turning away.  "I may not be willing to give you any troops but if you train with a few of them then maybe we can see about sending out some scouts to try and learn a thing or two about your 'friends'.  Deal?"

Alon looked at the man holding out his callused hand.  "Deal." he said.

Have retracted my vote for Wark.  Voting for  Clan now, as Meta said casting a wide net will give us a better chance of finding discrepancies.

I mean no disrespect to Edgedancer in my post.  It is purely rp.

Edited by Alvron

@ Wark, I Never said I was acting Under Gamma's Instructions (I don't think i did) I Said I Am now. Today, I will sooth whoever Gamma tells me to sooth.

I'm going to Keep my vote on Maw till he defends himself, though I think he's probably Innocent.

@Gamma, could you please confirm this?

@ Peng, Could we get a Extension, this Discussion is going Good. The day's already been extended, nevermind.

Edited by The Only Joe

I think Meta already asked for the time extension, but yeah the discussion is going very good right now, this is making it harder for the Spiked to hide. 

And yes, for today's vote cycle, I will be telling Joe who to Soothe. I think he just voted for Mabi because I did.

I didn't retract my vote for Mabi because I don't suspect her, she has just as much chance of being Spiked as the rest of you. I just saw there was a slight bandwagon going towards the vote for her, and I wanted to avoid that. If there were 5 votes up for Mabi, I'd doubt there would be as much discussion taking place.

Thanks Gamma. And yes, that is why I voted for Mabi.

Currently the Votes are;

Mabi(2) - Maw, Mac
Wark(2) - Vizzini, Dane
Mac(1) - Selvar
Maw(1) - Joe

Clan(1) - Alon

Note: I just assumed Mac's List was correct as of his Post, and Updated it.

Edited by The Only Joe

Raubber is having intelligence issues in not being able to have a good reason to vote for somebody. I honestly can't see any patterns. I think I will be sitting out the next couple of games and just watching how things go. Last game and this one, when realization dawns that I can't effectively participate, I kind of lose initiative and have a harder time RPing because I don't know how to move in a way that makes sense anymore. When I get home tonight, I'll try to throw in an RP post.

Edited by Grayv

For now at least, I'm going to vote for Mac. While I'm not entirely convinced he's Spiked, like I said earlier, he waited until after there was a decent bandwagon starting on Asp to vote for him and he seems a bit obsessed with getting Mabi taken out. The chances of us hitting a Spiked with so few of them left aren't that great, so I'm sorry if I'm wrong, but we also have a lot more to go off of and I'm using that and my gut to make this call. 

I know this brings us to a three way tie, but not everyone has voted and I'm not suspicious of either of the other two that are higher on the list. 

Raubber thrust the shovel into the dirt and released it. "I am getting too old for this," he says to himself as he stretches out his back and feeling pain for having dug so many graves. "What day is it," he thought to himself as he started back into town. It seemed like so long ago that Cyrus had been killed. He barely remembered that Joe helped him with a couple of the spiked's bodies. "I wonder how everyone is doing. Who is still alive I wonder. Heh, I can't even remember who I buried. I need a hard drink."