[OB] Mayalaran

Leyrann

On 11/14/2017 at 8:55 AM, Salkara said:

My personal theory is that he needs greater Connection to Maya in order to revive her. If only he were a duralumin compounder, it would be a cake walk.

If only he was related to a splinter of a shard that seems to be all about Connections...if only.

2 hours ago, kari-no-sugata said:

On a side note, I was wondering if we might see Adolin become one of Shallan's squires. I wonder if that would help or not with reviving Maya? Do squires generally have to be of the same Order?

So far they have.

Which means he could become Lift's squire.

2 hours ago, Leyrann said:

Isn't that photographic memory though?

No. She takes specific snap-shot images and they fade after she draws them. She mentions at one point they put a pressure on her to draw them.

Elsewhere she mentions that unusually she can draw a perfect image of Jasnah killing muggers desppite not having taken a Memory.

5 minutes ago, TheGoodyShop said:

What if instead of him speaking the words of the Edgedancers, Mayalaran has to speak the words to be revived and create the Nahel bond? It is clear that Maya is regaining some semblance of consciousness and quite frankly I find the symmetry appealing. Also I factored in the fact that Adolin didn't have anything to do with Maya's initial death.

So it would be the spren that is broken and the human who fills in the cracks? Interesting idea!

5 minutes ago, taxilian said:

Okay... so I'm obviously missing something here. Why is everyone so convinced that Adolin's sword is a cultivationspren (edgedancer)? Everyone is so certain I feel like I must be missing something really obvious.

Brandon has said it is a cultivationspren. People guessed it because of a description of his sword forming involving vines.

2 hours ago, taxilian said:

Okay... so I'm obviously missing something here. Why is everyone so convinced that Adolin's sword is a cultivationspren (edgedancer)? Everyone is so certain I feel like I must be missing something really obvious.

Brandon confirmed it, but it's also made clear by Maya's description in Shadesmar.

19 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

That feels too complicated. It's probably just a normal radiant spren. 

You're probably right. Maya is gaining back some tiny bit of her sentience, presumably via Adolin. We've had oaths occur off screen before, any reason to believe Adolin has not said the first oath? How in the world is Maya able to think at all? Perhaps they've only gotten as far as Pre-1stOath, much like when we first meet Sylphrena?

I really want Adolin to re-awaken his Blade, bring Maya back to life, and have this event reinvigor the Spren to bond. Or begin giving specific Blades to specific Squires, who haven't bonded a Spren. 

28 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

That feels too complicated. It's probably just a normal radiant spren. 

Agreed. This feels like a clear case of Occam's Razor to me.

2 minutes ago, MoS03 said:

You're probably right. Maya is gaining back some tiny bit of her sentience, presumably via Adolin. We've had oaths occur off screen before, any reason to believe Adolin has not said the first oath? How in the world is Maya able to think at all? Perhaps they've only gotten as far as Pre-1stOath, much like when we first meet Sylphrena?

I don't believe Adolin would say his oaths off-screen, he's too important a character for that, and additionally the reviving of Maya (which I would assume is a part of it) would be an extremely important event, worthy of being a part of a climax of one of the parts of a book if not the full book's climax. I think that Maya got kind of a little bit alive because Adolin truly started seeing her as a being in Shadesmar, and also because they were together for a while in Shadesmar.

Wouldn't say his Oaths off-screen due to importance? Shallan, Jasnah, Lift. All flashback characters, two of which whom we might see later, I'll grant. Renarin.

I guess my block is the idea that Maya's original wielder needs to be involved in any attempt at bringing her back. Perhaps, that's not the case? Adolin DID listen to TWoK with his father before, he may have said Oath One after hearing it then, but he doesn't seem that broken. Perhaps that will come when he discovers the truth about how his mother died...

22 hours ago, Ryshadium said:

Adolin summoning Maya in under 10 heartbeats was one of the more surprising moments in the book for me. I had to read it a few times to really register it.

I also noticed a striking similarity to Maya in Shadesmar and Ash scratching out her own eyes in all depictions of Herself. Not sure that’s relevant to anything, but I actually thought briefly that Maya was Ash in the Cognitive at the very beginning of that sequence, partly out of confusion since it was about 2 AM, and partly because of the scratched out eyes.

Same. I briefly considered that Azure was Ash, until it explained who Maya was and it became very very very VERY clear who Azure was.

22 hours ago, Ryshadium said:

I also noticed a striking similarity to Maya in Shadesmar and Ash scratching out her own eyes in all depictions of Herself. Not sure that’s relevant to anything, but I actually thought briefly that Maya was Ash in the Cognitive at the very beginning of that sequence, partly out of confusion since it was about 2 AM, and partly because of the scratched out eyes.

And I thought she was Sja-anat, because S-a was also described as having blank spots for eyes, or something like that. 

26 minutes ago, Leyrann said:

Agreed. This feels like a clear case of Occam's Razor to me.

Also agree. I think we'd need something substantial to conclude that Maya was anything special in her past.

However, if Adolin does revive her then that very fact would make her special in the sense that it would change how people view the eyeless and also humans.

26 minutes ago, Leyrann said:

I don't believe Adolin would say his oaths off-screen, he's too important a character for that, and additionally the reviving of Maya (which I would assume is a part of it) would be an extremely important event, worthy of being a part of a climax of one of the parts of a book if not the full book's climax. I think that Maya got kind of a little bit alive because Adolin truly started seeing her as a being in Shadesmar, and also because they were together for a while in Shadesmar.

Indeed. If Adolin is able to revive Maya fully then skipping out on it happening would be extremely dumb. Why have all the build-up then squander the payoff? I know we don't see every Oath made, but there's generally a good reason for it - eg it happened before the story started or would give away future plot developments. Neither of those would apply here.

Going back to Maya herself, we saw from Dalinar's case with Oathbringer that the eyeless can feel something. They are affected by their wielder. Given this, Adolin's attitude towards his Shardblade would be reasonably expected to have some kind of effect. I also agree that Adolin meeting Maya would be significant - since we know that perception matters. Now that Adolin knows her name, his bond to her should increase further. Now that Maya is actively responding to Adolin, there's scope for that to be slowly built up. That being said, I think there'll be a threshold where the only way to get further progress would be Adolin to say the Words and that might be harder than for normal Radiants and I believe there was also a WoB that said he'd have to say the exact same words as Maya's original wielder.

It'll be interesting to see what Adolin does in the next book (and before then). I can imagine him wanting to do little things to help Maya or to meet her. I'm sure he'll be asking Shallan for help since she can enter Shadesmar.

4 hours ago, MoS03 said:

Hmmm. So, Nin isn't sure if he's the only Herald to also bond a Spren. What if Maya's Radiant is a Herald?

Folks are saying this possibility is too complicated. Occam's razor and whatnot. But is it?

Possible Theories

1. Maya's Radiant is a Herald - This would mean that individual is still alive and on the physical plane. This makes it much less complicated for Adolin to find them and reconnect.
2. Adolin has to find Maya's original wielder in the spiritual realm to re-forge the connection (I need to fine the WoB for this...)
3. /hand waves/ Dalinar magically connects them (seems cheap to me)
4. Adolin somehow says his Words exactly the same as the original wielder, ala -  "there was also a WoB that said he'd have to say the exact same words as Maya's original wielder." - but I'd need to fine the WoB on that as well. 

Of those options, 1 actually seems like the least complicated to me. Then again, this is a very long series and 2. could make for a great story-arc with room for lots of exposition. 

(apologies if I did quoting and spoilers wrong. This is my first complicated post. ) 

Edited by Vianki

Did great.

If her original Radiant is a Herald, I'd imagine the whole process would be much easier.  Could just be that it would take some Stormlight to fuel a rekindling of her Spren Spiritweb, and then initiating a bond afterward.  Maybe it's as easy as someone swearing the Oaths, fitting personality, and a bunch of light while holding an Honorblade.  Possibly even the Bondsmith Honorblade specifically.  It's a big "RAFO" I think, but I am convinced that Adolin will be the one to do it.  He just fits as an Edgedancer in my mind.

I definitely agree with that idea. One of the recurring themes has been that things are happening that have not occurred before. 

Some of the things that Dalinar does surprise the Stormfather when they happen. While he has existed "forever", he has not had the same abilities and has not been bonded while he has the level of power he has now. 

Just because he said that he knows of no way to restore a broken spren doesn't mean that he can't now.