[OB] Part 2 Reactions

Chaos

Well, I read it as him wanting the answer...

It's only a spoiler for the epigraphs anyways, but you know you're always at risk when you're in a part of the forum that doesn't require spoiler tags. If you want to be certain you're spoiler-free, don't go into Part 2 discussion until you've finished Part 2.

Haven’t read the rest of the thread, so sorry if I am repeating.

I can understand why @Chaos would have swore so much in his review.

Here are some of the moments I swore at:-

The moon... what the

Greaves... what the

Renarin - born unto ... what the

Jasnah .... shut up with patronising Shallan as a “Child”

Puuli (interlude 1)... what the

Rock’s family... Awesome!

Hoolio.... what the

Lift.... what the

Odium... what the

Lift.... what the again!

I don't think we could've asked for a better introduction to Odium. Many of us had the notion that while he may not be incoherently angry, he would at least appear to sometimes have sudden mood shifts. 

Nope. 

Just a kind old man, lulling Dalinar out of his preconceived notions and sounding rational, then BOOM. Eternal hate fire. Then he basically says "Ops, my b D-man, accidentally let the tiger off the leash". 

Odium is going to be the villain we all hoped for. Cool, calm, collected and absolutely to the core, evil.   

Edited by Kered

I think it was unfair of Dalinar and the others to be angry with the Heralds. They ran until they no longer could. First lasting for centuries, they slowly being broken until they couldn't hold for more than an year, which is still an inhuman accomplishment. No wonder Taln is so broken, I wonder is Cultivation could help heal them? And mentioning her, I'm reminded Odium said Dalinar met her and she took that memory, but the Nightwatcher isn't supposed to be Cultivation.

15 minutes ago, Kered said:

I don't think we could've asked for a better introduction to Odium. Many of us had the notion that while he may not be incoherently angry, he would at least appear to sometimes have sudden mood shifts. 

Nope. 

Just a kind old man, lulling Dalinar out of his preconceived notions and sounding rational, then BOOM. Eternal hate fire. Then he basically says "Ops, my b D-man, accidentally let the tiger off the leash". 

Odium is going to be the villain we all hoped for. Cool, calm, collected and absolutely to the core, evil.   

Rayse is Fuhrer Bradley confirmed?

Further reactions through chapter 47:

-LIFT MET DALINAR AND THEY TALKED ABOUT BUTTS!!!!!  

-Lift is totally part of Cultivation's long term game plan.  *inserts my crackpot Lift eats Vasher's Divine Breath and obtains Nightblood because of Endownment's and Cultivation's foresight to become Returned Awakener Edgedancer Queen Lift here*

-Jasnah finally has a POV and of course it is huge.  Honorspren tried to take over Shadesmar?  (Book about that please.)  So many juicy tidbits, especially about the Skybreakers.  And what else did Wit tell her?!?!

I really want to read the replies on this thread, but have to avoid until part 2's completion.

32 minutes ago, What's a Seawolf? said:

Honorspren tried to take over Shadesmar?

Yeah, I noticed that, too. I'm sure they thought it was the right thing as all tyrants ever. And Cryptics, who keeps to themselves and stay in their city from what we know, are the ones with bad reputation... I bet they kicked honorspren asses and that's why Syl and her kind are so sore when it comes to the Cryptics :ph34r:

I'm utterly speechless. My minds is forfeit.

Sanderfans for years: "Hey Brandon, Brandon, what's this? Answer this question we've spent thousands of pages theorizing about. Tell us things Brandon. 

Brandon: Just leave me alone please! Ok fine, fine, here have the answer to everything you ever wanted to know in two chapters. Have it all! Just leave me alone. 

How is there still three parts left? HOW IS THERE STILL SEVEN BOOKS LEFT?? 

Another great part. Gonna do a quick rundown. 

Bridge Four viewpoints-didn't realize my life was incomplete until now.

Moash's missing patch hit me in the guy first of his viewpoint chapters. I've gone from being least excited about him to most excited. 

Shallan and Jasnah's dynamic makes perfect sense. Now that Shallan has been disillusioned and we see Jasnah's pov, the curtain has fallen and Jasnah is no longer presented as the perfect Alethi princess. She's quickly falling out of favor with me and I love Brandon for that. As much as I identity with Jasnah, it's nice to finally round her out and highlight her flaws more.

On that, Jasnah is obsessed with assassins. If she didn't reverse assassinate Kabsal then I'll eat Bashin's hat. 

Jasnah's childhood insanity? Family hurt her? Why must you tantalize like this Brandon?

Rlain better fly by the end of the book.

Lift is obsessed with butts huh? Someone's gonna have a kid by the end of the series...

When I found out Dalinar didn't kill the child...my poor heart. He and Evi's relationship hurt my soul. I'm glad they had that one. 

Adolin is "he who was born into light." It fits. I bet Maxal loved those parts (refraining from tagging since I don't think she has a book yet. But Maxal, you got tiny Adolin ^.^)

We've got a timeline for the desolations, even if it's suspect. I wish Pattern was more specific about the lies. 

Helaran was not bonded to a spren. Totally called it. 

Odium is the villain we deserve. Seriously, he's my new favorite. 

I read this review today, (minor spoilers) and it really cheesed me off, as they obviously don't have a real appreciation for the nuances Brandon has put in place here. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.avclub.com/brandon-sandersons-series-spanning-ambitions-burden-oat-1820346253/amp

Basically, it argues that OB is bad because of the plot of Mistborn. Ruin parallels Odium too much and the skaa parallel the parshmen too much. Phaw. That's like saying the guy who wants to burn you house down and the guy who wants to murder you, bury you in the back yard and then live in your house are committing the same crime. 

Odium's scene with Dalinar was amazing. He hit so many different topics of discussion I've seen here on the forums in just a few paragraphs of dialogue. I'm so excited. Poo poo on the AV club.

Edited by Fifth of Daybreak

3 minutes ago, Fifth of Daybreak said:

Another great part. Gonna do a quick rundown. 

Bridge Four viewpoints-didn't realize my life was incomplete until now.

Moash's missing patch hit me in the guy first of his viewpoint chapters. I've gone from being least excited about him to most excited. 

Shallan and Jasnah's dynamic makes perfect sense. Now that Shallan has been disillusioned and we see Jasnah's pov, the curtain has fallen and Jasnah is no longer presented as the perfect Alethi princess. She's quickly falling out of favor with me and I love Brandon for that. As much as I identity with Jasnah, it's nice to finally round her out and highlight her flaws more.

On that, Jasnah is obsessed with assassins. If she didn't reverse assassinate Kabsal then I'll eat Bashin's hat. 

Jasnah's childhood insanity? Family hurt her? Why must you tantalize like this Brandon?

Rlain better fly by the end of the book.

Lyft is obsessed with butts huh? Someone's gonna have a kid by the end of the series...

When I found out Dalinar didn't kill the child...my poor heart. He and Evi's relationship hurt my soul. I'm glad they had that one. 

Adolin is "he who was born into light." It fits. I bet Maxal loved those parts (refraining from tagging since I don't think she has a book yet. But Maxal, you got tiny Adolin ^.^)

We've got a timeline for the desolations, even if it's suspect. I wish Pattern was more specific about the lies. 

Helaran was not bonded to a spren. Totally called it. 

Odium is the villain we deserve. Seriously, he's my new favorite. 

I read this review today, (minor spoilers) and it really cheesed me off, as they obviously don't have a real appreciation for the nuances Brandon has put in place here. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.avclub.com/brandon-sandersons-series-spanning-ambitions-burden-oat-1820346253/amp

Basically, it argues that OB is bad because of the plot of Mistborn. Ruin parallels Odium too much and the skaa parallel the parshmen too much. Phaw. That's like saying the guy who wants to burn you house down and the guy who wants to murder you, bury you in the back yard and then live in your house are committing the same crime. 

Odium's scene with Dalinar was amazing. He hit so many different topics of discussion I've seen here on the forums in just a few paragraphs of dialogue. I'm so excited. Poo poo on the AV club.

I saw that review and thought that it revealed a relatively poor insight into either series' ideology 

5 minutes ago, IndigoAjah said:

I saw that review and thought that it revealed a relatively poor insight into either series' ideology 

This was my reaction when I finished reading the review.

200_s.gif

Edited by Fifth of Daybreak

Finally done with part 2.  Brandon Sanderson is one of the greatest authors of all time, if not the greatest.  And this is only part 2.

@Leyrann @BlackYeti  Thanks to you both.  No worries about spoilers, I avoided reading anything else on this thread until now for that reason :)

Now for more reactions on top of what I already posted:

-LIFT MET DALINAR AGAIN AND SHE AGREED TO HELP!  DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS?!  LIFT WILL EAT ALL THE DINNERS, SAVE THE WORLD AND MOST IMPORTANTLY TEACH ADOLIN HOW TO SLIDE AROUND URITHIRU ON HIS BUTT!

-Slightly more serious, Lift really really needs to meet Nightblood and Vasher at some point.  I joke about Returned Awakener Edgedancer Lift wielding Nightblood because of the combined foresight of Cultivation and Endowment, but those are meetings I really want to see.  And come on, the storming awesome girl can hide from Odium and enter Honor-sent dreams at will.  Already.  Before taking Vasher's Divine Breath and obtaining Nightblood.

-That Odium scene.  Unreal chills.  Not at all what I was expecting.  And the meeting so soon!  And Dalinar even remembered to offer the challenge!  I love that Brandon is not pulling punches or drawing the story out.  And this was supposed to be the slow worldbuilding part?  Damnation.  I know Odium's flame/Investitutre seems to be purple, but he had a lot of gold going on too if I remember right.  I really think Dalinar's end of WoR dream and the glowing light early in part OB part 1 was from Odium.

-I need to reiterate again how much I love Bridge 4, and how I would gladly read a book solely about their everyday lives.  Lopen and Rock are the best.  (Coincidentally, they also need to meet Lift.  I imagine the three of them would get along absurdly well.)

-It's fascinating how much more fleshed out all the characters have become in just two parts.  From main to minor, everyone feels so much more complete.  Especially Jasnah.  I know a lot of people loved her already, but I was never really feeling her character until her POV chapters.  Now I cannot wait to read more from her POV.  And which of her loved ones harmed her.  Obviously not Navani or Dalinar.  Which seems to leave Gavilar or Elhokar.  

I'm so happy this thread is here.  As much as I want to dive right into part 3, I need some time to process everything.  Plus you know, work :P

5 minutes ago, Leyrann said:

Isn't Jasnah like ten years older than Elhokar though? Or at least like five or six?

She is definitely older, not sure by how much.  Based on the little we know about the timeline of her sickness and whatever happened to her, Elhokar seems unlikely.  But it's possible the sickness lasted a long while, or perhaps the hurt from a loved one happened after, possibly as a result of the sickness.

(The text may may directly contradict that, I don't remember the details exactly.)

1 minute ago, Efebre said:

Can someone tell me where Harmony and Taln are?

Harmony (Mistborn spoilers):

Spoiler

Harmony is the name that for the combined Shard of Preservation and Ruin that got taken up by Sazed; therefore he is at Scadrial (we know he hasn't left as Stormlight Archive plays around the same time as MB2)

Taln will appear later in this book.

7 hours ago, Fifth of Daybreak said:

Rlain better fly by the end of the book

Careful. There's more than one way to fly...

(I have not read past part two)

On a general note: Is there a place to see the Part 2 Epigraphs combined, that won't lead into spoilers about later parts of the book? If not, I suppose I'll have to do it myself.

1 hour ago, What's a Seawolf? said:

Finally done with part 2.  Brandon Sanderson is one of the greatest authors of all time, if not the greatest.  And this is only part 2.

@Leyrann @BlackYeti  Thanks to you both.  No worries about spoilers, I avoided reading anything else on this thread until now for that reason :)

Now for more reactions on top of what I already posted:

-LIFT MET DALINAR AGAIN AND SHE AGREED TO HELP!  DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS?!  LIFT WILL EAT ALL THE DINNERS, SAVE THE WORLD AND MOST IMPORTANTLY TEACH ADOLIN HOW TO SLIDE AROUND URITHIRU ON HIS BUTT!

-Slightly more serious, Lift really really needs to meet Nightblood and Vasher at some point.  I joke about Returned Awakener Edgedancer Lift wielding Nightblood because of the combined foresight of Cultivation and Endowment, but those are meetings I really want to see.  And come on, the storming awesome girl can hide from Odium and enter Honor-sent dreams at will.  Already.  Before taking Vasher's Divine Breath and obtaining Nightblood.

-That Odium scene.  Unreal chills.  Not at all what I was expecting.  And the meeting so soon!  And Dalinar even remembered to offer the challenge!  I love that Brandon is not pulling punches or drawing the story out.  And this was supposed to be the slow worldbuilding part?  Damnation.  I know Odium's flame/Investitutre seems to be purple, but he had a lot of gold going on too if I remember right.  I really think Dalinar's end of WoR dream and the glowing light early in part OB part 1 was from Odium.

-I need to reiterate again how much I love Bridge 4, and how I would gladly read a book solely about their everyday lives.  Lopen and Rock are the best.  (Coincidentally, they also need to meet Lift.  I imagine the three of them would get along absurdly well.)

-It's fascinating how much more fleshed out all the characters have become in just two parts.  From main to minor, everyone feels so much more complete.  Especially Jasnah.  I know a lot of people loved her already, but I was never really feeling her character until her POV chapters.  Now I cannot wait to read more from her POV.  And which of her loved ones harmed her.  Obviously not Navani or Dalinar.  Which seems to leave Gavilar or Elhokar.  

I'm so happy this thread is here.  As much as I want to dive right into part 3, I need some time to process everything.  Plus you know, work :P

Literally all of the yes. Lift will take all of the food and teach Adolin how to go down the stairs at lightning speed

28 minutes ago, dantlee said:

I am so impressed by whoever came up with the “Shin are of Odium” theory. Spot. On. 

Where was this confirmed? I don't remember it.

14 minutes ago, Govir said:

On a general note: Is there a place to see the Part 2 Epigraphs combined, that won't lead into spoilers about later parts of the book? If not, I suppose I'll have to do it myself.

All the Oathbringer epigraphs will eventually be posted here, but it hasn't been updated past Part 1 yet.

Wow...Finally finished part 2. I am so glad we have individual threads for parts. I was going to avoid the forum all together but then I saw Chaos rules post that let me navigate to this individual thread without fear of seeing spoilery thread titles thanks @Chaos for doing this! 

As much as I like reading the preview chapters it really kind of killed the pace of the book which reading part 2 has now fixed. This books pace seems a lot better than the first two. There were chapters in those that my mind wandered some slower due to the WB i'm guessing but now I feel like we are really getting to the meat of the story. Even only after two parts I am having a hard time understanding how this level will be maintained through 7 more books with all that is being revealed but I know Brandon will surprise us.

Some thoughts. 

-Dalinar says "the other 8" in reference to the Unmade. How does he know there is 9 I do not remember this being confirmed anywhere on screen. We have confirmation surges will not work through live KR shardplate. Storm father dropping the Oathpact knowledge was unexpected. It is always funny to me how complicated our theories are on how something works then Brandon gives a simple but extremely elegant explanation. Poor Taln. So I am both listening and reading the book all this time I pronounced Evi as e-v but it is more like eh-vee. The last flashback was sad but we got to see baby Adolin Maxal will be soo happy. 

- BRIDGE 4 POVs Holly heck I had no idea we would see this and it was absolutely amazing! Brandon gave us all exactly what we wanted. Rock's was absolutely beautiful, Teft's and Raln's a little sad.  So exciting to see Bridge 4 progressing. I agree with others Lyn has something going on. At first I had a hard time caring too much about Moash's POV but towards the end I am intrigued. Could he be the traitor? Maybe not since he is so minor not but he is shaping out to be a traitor. I actually didnt mind at all Kaladin not having a POV let's face it he's had a lot and it was really mice to see him through others eyes. 

-Jasnah is such a badass! She came in like a wrecking ball. I liked the meeting scene the best and her interaction with Kaladin was exactly what I would hope for. I see a lot of future tension between them. Shallan and Jasnah interactions were probably the only thing I didn't absolutely love. I would think Jasnah would cut her a little slack I mean she saved everyone and all. The showdown with Jasnah and Amaram was freaking awesome. Proto KR > Shardbearer. Oh and they were a thing at once? Didn't know that ewww. So excited to see her with her family finally. 

- I miss Adolin

- LIFT I LOVE YOU AND WANT TO ADOPT YOU AS MY DAUGHTER! 

-The Stormvision network is awesome glad to see some other leaders coming on board.

-Was really happy to see more Renarin and see Shallan sticking up for him. Kinda sad to see him contemplating leaving bridge 4 but his talents are needed in other areas. Did he just find Urithiru's audible account? 

- The epigraphs are much better this part. Cant wait to put them all together and read straight through. Sazed! Btw I am now convinced Jasnah wrote the in world Oathbringer but I cant say exactly why. 

- Last but not least ODIUM!! This was literally a jaw dropping moment for me...