[OB] Theory for how Adolin resolves his current situation

Fifth of Daybreak

It is a great theory. It works well with Adolin being the background character: there is a consequence, but it is not really relevant to his character. It doesn't create turmoil or anything, or character crisis, not waves, no nothing, but it resolves the murder. I can't say this is my favorite outcome, but I do find it a very plausible outcome. It is a very likely outcome I would even say.

7 minutes ago, Aleksiel said:

If Adolin confesses, I doubt he will lie and saying he considers it the duel granted by the king's boon is a lie.

That's the justification, not the rationale. It's a very Alethi tradition to attack those who insult or attack your house. Sadeas has done so repeatedly. In my op, I'm stipulating that Adolin is forthcoming about how the original situation went down, Sadeas provoked Adolin by calling them liars and saying that he was going to take everything from his house. It was an insult an a declaration of war, so Adolin attacked in Alethi tradition, which is the rationale at the time. 

However, he presents that he is also justified in his actions because he has the author of the king's boon and he invokes it in that instance, and also offers to duel Amaram to offer satisfaction to house Sadeas and for Amaram's crimes. 

Does that help clear up what I'm trying to say? He's taking responsibility, but not claiming guilt under Alethi tradition with retroactive justification.

@Fifth of Daybreak I like your theory because it provides an outcome for Adolin that doesn't involve exile or execution. My main concern is there were no witnesses, so it's Adolin's word alone. I don't feel like Ialai will let him off the hook that easy. She seems ruthless, and if Adolin confesses I think she would try to get the maximum punishment. A duel with Amaram doesn't seem like a very severe punishment since Adolin has a good chance of winning. Amaram hasn't had his blade(s) very long, and Adolin is a highly skilled duelist. Even if Adolin does lose his blade and plate, he can probably obtain others fairly easily. I don't recall the exact whereabouts of all the shards he won in WOR, but there is probably a spare Kholin shardblade (or honorblade) lying around that he can use to win back more shards.

On 11/4/2017 at 10:24 AM, Fifth of Daybreak said:

Adolin will tell him that, according to Alethi tradition, he took this as both an insult and declaration of war on his house, and that under the authority granted him by the boon of the king he engaged Sadeas in a duel to the death.

I don't think this is how duels work. Dueling contracts are witnessed before a judge. The time, place, and stakes are pre-established in public. And everybody knows that Sadeas didn't want to duel any time soon, and wouldn't agree to an impromptu duel to the death in an Urithiru stairwell.

36 minutes ago, Harry the Heir said:

I don't think this is how duels work. Dueling contracts are witnessed before a judge. The time, place, and stakes are pre-established in public. And everybody knows that Sadeas didn't want to duel any time soon, and wouldn't agree to an impromptu duel to the death in an Urithiru stairwell.

Fair point.

I'm not sure how allowed this is, but I highly doubt that Adolin's going to confess.  I'll put the rest of this in a spoiler tag, just in case.

On Reddit, someone who read Oathbringer early said "I was actually really pleased with Adolin's plot in Oathbringer!!  What an upstanding guy." 

Not a lot to go on, but that sounds super sarcastic to me, almost as if Adolin lets somebody else take the blame for it.

Edited by Patrick Star

^^ I'm guessing there it sounds more sarcastic within the rest of the context because it doesn't from what you posted. 

I like the theory above except what others have said regarding the duel justification. Honestly did Adolin really have an alternative besides killing Sadeas after his attempted murder and implied threats? I think it is a reasonable argument for pretty much everyone except Ialai who will not rest until her husbands work is done. 

I'm actually going to revise my opinion again. This excerpt is pretty clear-cut. I think my theory is still plausible. 

Dalinar turned his attention to Sadeas, speaking very softly, very pointedly. “Sadeas. Surely I did not just hear you openly—before the king—call my son useless. Surely you would not say that, as such an insult would demand that I summon my Blade and seek your blood. Shatter the Vengeance Pact. Cause the king’s two greatest allies to kill one another. Surely you would not have been that foolish. Surely I misheard.”

Sanderson, Brandon. The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, Book 1) (pp. 227-228). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition. 

Just because he called Renarin useless. Sadeas says that it's Dalinar or him, that he's going to take everything from him. It's an open declaration of war. I interpret that as cause to seek blood if Dalinar can claim it in this situation. 

Granted, the important exception is that here it was in front of witnesses and before the king, but that's why Adolin is also justified by his boon granted to him by the King back from WoR. 

Edited by Fifth of Daybreak

1 hour ago, Fifth of Daybreak said:

Just because he called Renarin useless. Sadeas says that it's Dalinar or him, that he's going to take everything from him. It's an open declaration of war. I interpret that as cause to seek blood if Dalinar can claim it in this situation. 

Well, Dalinar does say that it would "shatter the Vengeance Pact", which means that he's not talking about about a sanctioned duel, he's talking about murdering Sadeas.

45 minutes ago, Harry the Heir said:

Well, Dalinar does say that it would "shatter the Vengeance Pact", which means that he's not talking about about a sanctioned duel, he's talking about murdering Sadeas.

"Such an insult would demand that I summon my blade and seek your blood."

Taken separately, this line sounds to me like Sadeas insulted Dalinar's honor in some way. The usage of "demand" is probably the most important word in that paragraph. Honor duels are not necessarily sanctioned, but would be seen as necessary by a nobleman.

7 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Taken separately, this line sounds to me like Sadeas insulted Dalinar's honor in some way. The usage of "demand" is probably the most important word in that paragraph. Honor duels are not necessarily sanctioned, but would be seen as necessary by a nobleman.

I don't know. When Adolin is thinking about killing Sadeas in Chapter 50, he seems pretty certain that it would be illegal and lead to his death or exile. He doesn't think, "Oh, the light-eyes will generally believe that I had no choice but to answer his insults with violence, and thus I'll be able to go about my business." And, to the OP's argument, I'm not aware of anywhere where the king's boon is understood to be a general license to murder Sadeas when he's been particularly insufferable.

I think it's quite possible that, had Dalinar attacked Sadeas in that moment, other brighteyes would have been sympathetic to his response. Just as assuredly, I'm sure that a lot of people will be sympathetic to Adolin should he confess what happened. But I don't think that there's a legal argument that would save him from formal punishment.

Just now, Harry the Heir said:

When Adolin is thinking about killing Sadeas in Chapter 50, he seems pretty certain that it would be illegal and lead to his death or exile.

That could lead back to what Fifth of Daybreak said about the insult happening in front of the King. Witnesses are important, even in an honor duel.

But my response was entirely dealing with what Dalinar said, and nothing to do with Adolin. It's an argument of whether attacking someone for impugning your honor is considered an honor duel or a murder. It might not automatically be murder in the eyes of those around there, and that was what I was trying to point out.

On the Tor.com non-spoiler review, they posted this:

There are bit players who now have complex, three dimensional narratives, and others who fade to the back, to make room for their compatriots. 

Now I am DEAD worried Adolin is one of the characters who fades into the back. Of course, they don't say it, but just reading it made me fear. The 17th Shard review also make me fear, they say some paths readers will dislike. 

Am I going to like this book? I am so dead anxious I won't :ph34r::(

Edited by maxal

3 hours ago, Fifth of Daybreak said:

*Pat's you on the back* 

There, their, they're. It's ok.

Thanks ^_^ I swear this book is causing me a great deal of anxiety :ph34r:

11 hours ago, Fifth of Daybreak said:

I'm actually going to revise my opinion again. This excerpt is pretty clear-cut. I think my theory is still plausible. 

Granted, the important exception is that here it was in front of witnesses and before the king, but that's why Adolin is also justified by his boon granted to him by the King back from WoR. 

I forgot to reply to this. The situation in between Dalinar/Sadeas is very different than the Adolin/Sadeas's situation for the mere reason Dalinar is a Highprince and as such, he is allowed to demand Sadeas to duel him, for honor. Adolin is not allowed to make the same demands which is why he had to trap Sadeas into being forced to fight him. Open declaration of war or not, Adolin just doesn't have the rank to make demands out of Sadeas.

10 minutes ago, maxal said:

Open declaration of war or not, Adolin just doesn't have the rank to make demands out of Sadeas.

A visual representation of how my opinion has changed on this thread. Well put.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/WGL2dWb

Edited by Fifth of Daybreak

• Argent changed the title to [OB] Theory for how Adolin resolves his current situation

I have a sneaking suspicion that it's going to be Shallan that works out that Adolin is the killer. Pieces of the story she picks up from Adolin will connect with pieces of the story she has picked up as Veil or Brightness Radiant. What will happen next though? Will she do the right thing and turn him in, or will she help him craft some lies to help him avoid his fate? And if she does that, how will he react to it?

2 hours ago, Bort said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that it's going to be Shallan that works out that Adolin is the killer. Pieces of the story she picks up from Adolin will connect with pieces of the story she has picked up as Veil or Brightness Radiant. What will happen next though? Will she do the right thing and turn him in, or will she help him craft some lies to help him avoid his fate? And if she does that, how will he react to it?

Another possibility... Naln arrives in Urithuru, takes one look at Adolin, and says, "murderer."

• Chaos locked this topic