[OB] The Gemstone Pillar in Urithiru's Basement is a Stormlight PowerCore

Subvisual Haze

Shallan frowned at the tone of his voice, then followed his gaze, to look at the thing Re-Shephir had been hiding. The pillar in the exact center of the room.

It was set with thousands upon thousands of cut gemstones, most larger than Shallan’s fist. Together, they were a treasure worth more than most kingdoms.

All those gemstones are a centralized area to store massive amounts of Stormlight.  I believe this pillar is the equivalent of the power-core, storing and routing Stormlight to the rest of Urithiru.  This also helps to explain the strange vents/cracks/gaps in the walls around Urithiru.  Those are pathways for the Stormlight to flow from the central pillar to the necessary area.

Once our heroes start to infuse stormlight into the pillar, the latent defensive and quality of life systems around Urithiru will begin to "power up" and the tower will become less of a Haunted Castle, and more of a Cool Radiant Fort with indoor plumbing, lighting, and magical defense systems.

Likewise I think the pillar itself was the previous prison of Re-Shepir.  The massive amounts of investiture served to keep Re-Shepir trapped inside the pillar.  

The power core idea is neat, I really wanna see the entire tower light up with stormlight.

Re-Shepir seemed to be guarding the pillar, not stuck to it. If she were trapped, I think it would likely be inside of a gemstone, unable to get out at all. In this case, she was outside of the gems, and able to flee at will. It also brings about the question of how she was trapped and then escaped. Did she release herself or did someone break her out?

5 minutes ago, Wandering Investor said:

The power core idea is neat, I really wanna see the entire tower light up with stormlight.

Re-Shepir seemed to be guarding the pillar, not stuck to it. If she were trapped, I think it would likely be inside of a gemstone, unable to get out at all. In this case, she was outside of the gems, and able to flee at will. It also brings about the question of how she was trapped and then escaped. Did she release herself or did someone break her out?

I think over time the stormlight slowly dispersed.  No energy storage medium is perfect after all.  I obviously can't guarantee stormlight works this way, but Brandon has tended to ground his magic systems in real world thermodynamic themes, so I think stormlight slowly leaking away makes sense.

It's also possible that Dalinar and gang might have drained off what limited stormlight remained when they opened the oathgate.

Not impossible, but I'm leaning towards not a prison. Four main reasons.

The first is that Re-Shepir was terrified of being captured again. If she gained freedom from her prison, I suspect the first thing she'd do is leave, not hang around.

The second is that during the weeping only the largest gems last, and that's only a few weeks. Shallan senses that Re-Shepir seemed to have been captured a couple hundred years ago. If the stormlight was what was keeping her captured, it would have failed long long ago. 

The third is that each instance we've seen of captured spren has them captured inside just one gemstone, not a collective. Scenes from Gavilar have him mentioning a special gemstone (singular). This isn't a perfect reason, as we don't know all the rules, but based on it I see no reason for using the entire pillar instead of one gemstone.

The fourth is that Shallan notes an immediate change in the tower, the disappearance of the wrongness. While it could have been a desperate act of using what was nearby, Re-Shepir's presence seems more in line with sabotage.

It is, of course, possible that the massive amount of gems was required for capturing her, that the radiants did it as an act of desperation that marked their abandoning of the tower city, and the gems were somehow able to last for so long.

14 minutes ago, Salkara said:

Calling end of part 1: Dalinar and Shallan flip a switch an Urithuru lights up like a Christmas tree. I imagine it going something like this:

At this very moment Jasnah drops out of a portal yelling about how everyone needs to retreat because there's a dangerous unmade trapped in the basement and Urithiru isn't safe until it's powered on.  Then everyone has a hearty chuckle.

So I guess the next question is how to power it up.

As far as we've seen so far a gem needs to be outside in the Highstorm to collect Stormlight. 

Does the column connect through the floor to an area below the storms or is some sort or Knight Radiant relay needed?

8 minutes ago, kmosiman said:

As far as we've seen so far a gem needs to be outside in the Highstorm to collect Stormlight. 

Does the column connect through the floor to an area below the storms or is some sort or Knight Radiant relay needed?

My guess is its those ventilation shafts. The storm blows through that section and powers the core. Then something about its structure lets it hold stormlight for a looooong time. 

3 minutes ago, Aminar said:

My guess is its those ventilation shafts. The storm blows through that section and powers the core. Then something about its structure lets it hold stormlight for a looooong time. 

Somehow that made me think of Urithiru as a giant flute.

Edited by ScavellTane

14 minutes ago, kmosiman said:

Ooh that makes sense.  There's probably a bunch of openings below the highstorm line that got blown or cremmed shut.  Someone needs to go deep into the creepy unmade infested sub-basement to open the magic windows so stormlight can blow in.

Although I do find the possibility of the Radiants forming one of those fire bucket lines to slowly transfer stormlight down into the core hiliarious.

I really doubt the Pillar was charged by Radiants. Probably some mechanism allows the gemstones to be' exposed to the Highstorms and be' charged...sure It's possible they Simply periodically carried the gemstones out but It's a bit unlikely

6 minutes ago, Yata said:

I really doubt the Pillar was charged by Radiants. Probably some mechanism allows the gemstones to be' exposed to the Highstorms and be' charged...sure It's possible they Simply periodically carried the gemstones out but It's a bit unlikely

Yes, Probably some kind of charging pole - maybe a fabrial - that hangs underneath Urithiru to come in contact with the highstorm, but Re-Shephir blocked that connection between the charging pole and the pillar.

Edited by SLNC

I guess its either it or one of the power cores of Urithiru. For some reason, maybe the size of the city, i doubt the single one pillar of gems is able to provide an energy to the whole city, especially if "Urithiru is the ancient spaceship" theory will be confirmed. I bet there will be another pillar or pillars found somewhere else.

Edited by Harbour

1 minute ago, kmosiman said:

I definitely agree with the blocked Stormlight theory. 

There's mention of basket on chains lowered into the clouds, but it seems like too much work to remove an entire pillar's worth of fist sized gemstones to lower them into the storm.  

But this theory works only if the Pillar is the only one in Urithuru and this could be false for the city's size