[OB] Vedel's Keys

Ammanas

Vedel's Keys  

77 members have voted

1. 1. So we have the art now that shows Vedel handling some gold keys. What do the keys represent?

• Literal physical keys. Used to open something.
    • Literal physical keys. Used to lock something away.
    • Literal physical keys. Used to both Lock and open something
    • Symbolic. Used to represent that she is given sole power to do something
    • Symbolic. Unkown what it represents.
    • Some other explanation

I think they're like Hermes' caduceus, a symbol that she can travel where she pleases, and is welcome anywhere. I think she's styled as a messenger goddess. They might stand for 4 specific things, like trade, diplomacy, ... but I couldn't guess exactly what.

1 minute ago, MPHRD said:

They are either like a white gold or PLOT TWIST: Electrum, the gold/silver alloy. 

I doubt white gold would have remained in legends as golden keys, people would more likely remember them as silver in that case. I'm skeptical towards electrum, too. They look like regular to me.

2 minutes ago, Crucible of Shards said:

Could someone post a link please?

Sure

I have found what opens Vedel's keys. There are four keys. In the Kingkiller Chronicles, the four plate door exists in the University Archives. This is the description

"It had no hinges. No handle. No window or sliding panel. Its only features were four hard copper plates. They were set flush with the face of the door, which was flush with the front of the frame, which was flush with the wall surrounding it. You could run your hand from one side of the door to the next and hardly feel the lines of it at all. In spite of these notable lacks, the expanse of grey stone was undoubtedly a door. It simply was. Each copper plate had a hole in its center, and though they were not shaped in the conventional way, they were undoubtedly keyholes. The door sat still as a mountain, quiet and indifferent as the sea on a windless day. This was not a door for opening. It was a door for staying closed. In its center between the untarnished copper plates, a word was chiseled deep into the stone: valaritas."

Four keyholes for four keys. Both names start with a V - Vedel and Valaritas. And behind the door lies the third book of KKC. HYPE!!!

16 minutes ago, ADIMORTIS said:

I have found what opens Vedel's keys. There are four keys. In the Kingkiller Chronicles, the four plate door exists in the University Archives. This is the description

"It had no hinges. No handle. No window or sliding panel. Its only features were four hard copper plates. They were set flush with the face of the door, which was flush with the front of the frame, which was flush with the wall surrounding it. You could run your hand from one side of the door to the next and hardly feel the lines of it at all. In spite of these notable lacks, the expanse of grey stone was undoubtedly a door. It simply was. Each copper plate had a hole in its center, and though they were not shaped in the conventional way, they were undoubtedly keyholes. The door sat still as a mountain, quiet and indifferent as the sea on a windless day. This was not a door for opening. It was a door for staying closed. In its center between the untarnished copper plates, a word was chiseled deep into the stone: valaritas."

Four keyholes for four keys. Both names start with a V - Vedel and Valaritas. And behind the door lies the third book of KKC. HYPE!!!

Vedel is Worldhopper confirmed. 

Kingkiller Chronicles is Cosmere confirmed.

4 minutes ago, Erunion said:

Edgedancers are super empathetic and great at getting people to open up to them. Note the whole ‘listen’ thing. 

Thus, they are keys to people’s Hearts! One for each major race! One for humans, one for Listeners, one for Spren, and one for @The Invested Beard

(Or Aimians). 

So you're telling me there's a chance!

Lloyd_Christmas.jpg

Edited by The Invested Beard

Kelek’s breath

Ash’s eyes

Last I checked Ash isn’t doing a supergirl impersonation with laser vision.

Perhaps Ash’s eyes are pretty or they change colours or something like that.

The golden keys are referred to when talking about skills, first when Kabsal comments on Shallan’s drawing skills.  And Vedel is also mentioned by Taln when talking about training surgeons.

So, perhaps it is about metaphorical access to non-magic skills and abilities.

Edited by axcellence

I asked about Vedeledev's golden keys at Supanova awhile ago:

Darkness: haha ok. What’s the story behind Vedeledev’s Golden Keys, or are we going to hear it?

Brandon: Vedeledev’s Golden Keys are more of a mythological thing like the sword that forbad people from entering the Garden of Eden, things like this that, they have existed but they’re more symbolic… (ok) does that make sense?

2 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Am I the only one who thinks of Peter, one of the apostles, when seeing these keys? He is supposed to hold the keys to heaven. Maybe Vedel held the keys to Urithiru or the Tranquilline Halls?

I'm definitely going to get triggered every time I see a keyhole now lol