[OB] Ryshadium

Steeldancer

Percussion is a class of musical instruments, and horse gaits all have a rhythm of their own.  A herd of Ryshadium, being intelligent, may stagger their gaits to make a musical sound.  Perhaps the song is even used to keep time, similar to marching cadences.

Just now, redbishop said:

Percussion is a class of musical instruments, and horse gaits all have a rhythm of their own.  A herd of Ryshadium, being intelligent, may stagger their gaits to make a musical sound.  Perhaps the song is even used to keep time, similar to marching cadences.

A HERD of Ryshadium. This makes sense. 

It's just more proof that Wayne really stole a Ryshadium when he was younger. He once claimed to Wax that he stole a horse that belched in perfect pitch, and here we have musicspren following Ryshadium around. 

Just now, Steeldancer said:

A HERD of Ryshadium. This makes sense. 

That's terrible. Have an upvote :P

1 minute ago, Steeldancer said:

No i meant seriously. A herd could attract music, and we've never seen a herd of them before now. 

Ah, thank you.

I actually considered that myself too, but wouldn't musicspren then also be able to appear when there's a few 'domesticated' Rhysadium together? Dalinar and Adolin surely have one, and I could see there being more around, at least occasionally.

If I were to guess, there are different kinds of Ryshadium. There seems to be a place where you can bond Ryshadium, and so I guess that humans have a bunch ready to be bonded in a pasture somewhere. I suspect that the free Ryshadium are the only ones to attract musicspren, and that it is indeed based off on the Rythms. 

10 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

If I were to guess, there are different kinds of Ryshadium. There seems to be a place where you can bond Ryshadium, and so I guess that humans have a bunch ready to be bonded in a pasture somewhere. I suspect that the free Ryshadium are the only ones to attract musicspren, and that it is indeed based off on the Rythms. 

Ryshadium choose who they bond, though. You can't force them. So I doubt there's "a bunch ready to be bonded in a pasture somewhere". Pretty sure that Elhokar, for example, does not have one.

2 minutes ago, Leyrann said:

Ryshadium choose who they bond, though. You can't force them. So I doubt there's "a bunch ready to be bonded in a pasture somewhere". Pretty sure that Elhokar, for example, does not have one.

They do choose who they bond, yeah. But I feel like they have a pasture where lighteyes can go and attempt to attract one. Adolin knew that he was about to try bond a Ryshadium before he did it, so I do think they have a place where they breed Ryshadium. Elhokar probably tried, and failed, to bond one.

Relevant WoB:

QUESTION
Do Rhyshadium exist because of a spren bond, like greatshells?
BRANDON SANDERSON
Yea, they evolved symbiotically with spren, unlike other horses. They can still mate will other horses, but the are genetically distinct.

4 hours ago, Leyrann said:

Elohkar doesn't. He was riding a warhorse called Vengance for the Chasmfiend hunt.

Elhokar’s stallion was a good breed, but it could never match Gallant, who was a full Ryshadium, two hands taller and much stronger than an ordinary horse. The animals chose their own riders, and only a dozen men in all of the warcamps were so fortunate. Dalinar was one, Adolin another.

One of the others is Highlord Hatham.

QUESTION
Do Rhyshadium exist because of a spren bond, like greatshells?
BRANDON SANDERSON
Yea, they evolved symbiotically with spren, unlike other horses. They can still mate will other horses, but the are genetically distinct.

I wonder what you call the offspring of that pairing? a Rhyorse? a Horshadium?