Jasnah's most important lesson for Shallan

Scrutiny

What do you think will be Jasnah's most important lesson for Shallan?

1) The voidbringer writings she worked so hard on?

2) Lessons about Shadesmare?

3) Soulcasting?

4) Something else?

I think her most important lesson is summed up from this quote in chapter 1:

“There is a secret you must learn, child,” Jasnah said. “A secret that is even more important than those relating to Shadesmar and spren. Power is an illusion of perception.”

Shallan frowned.

“Don’t mistake me,” Jasnah continued. “Some kinds of power are real— power to command armies, power to Soulcast. These come into play far less often than you would think. On an individual basis, in most interactions, this thing we call power—authority—exists only as it is perceived.

“You say I have wealth. This is true, but you have also seen that I do not often use it. You say I have authority as the sister of a king. I do. And yet, the men of this ship would treat me exactly the same way if I were a beggar who hadconvinced them I was the sister to a king. In that case, my authority is not a real thing. It is mere vapors—an illusion. I can create that illusion for them, as can you.”

Jasnah even says its the most important lesson, more important than soulcasting.  This quote is very foreshadowing, not only because it is important for Shallan to stand up for herself and face her dark past, but also because talks about illusion even before we know she is a light weaver, or what light weaving really is.  

I'd have to agree with you Scrutiny.  The confidence that Jasnah bears herself with is what gives her her power over people.  I always laugh when I watch TV or movies when I see someone behaving furtively when trying to not draw attention to themselves.  The best way to not draw attention to yourself in such a situation would be to act as though you belong there.

If confidence is the most important lesson for Shallan to learn, she's got a lot of homework to do...

The thing is, Jasnah's interpretation of what the most important thing to learn is totally different from the actual most important thing to learn. The Desolation is coming fast, and Shallan's got to learn more Surgebinding before she gets creamed by Odium's forces. Although, one could argue that it requires confidence to face the enemy in combat. 

Interesting points, Scrutiny. Upvote for you!

In fiction, character growth as a person tends to match their growth as a powerhouse. Find self-confidance? You just got the ability to stand up and beat down. Reject your dark past for a bright future? That brightness is gonna shine around you contra jour style as you feed the dark hordes their own intestines on a stick.

Won't her most important lesson be honesty?  The secondary attribute of Shalash - the one she needs to grow into?

She has a liespren (though the name might not be quite right). Somehow, I doubt Honesty is meant in the typical sense... I'd say that the Honesty attribute has more to do with ferreting out secrets and demanding honesty of other people, or being honest by telling half-truths. Pattern has a thing for true lies.

Edited by Moogle

Every time I read this quote, it makes me think not about self confidence but about the appearance of self confidence.  The illusion!  I think the most important lesson pointed to here is not honesty or self confidence but rather quite the opposite.    Light weavers create lies, and Jasnah pretty much tells her that power comes not only from within but rather how people perceive.  This is a very important lesson whose other surgebinding power is the creation of lies,err I am mean illusions.

Could it be a hint to the lightweavers 1st ideal?

Second Ideal; the First is always the same.

Don't see why not. 

Perhaps: The world believes what it sees.

I like it, but it sounds kinda sinister. Then again, I suppose that's not exactly a point against it.

Don't see why not. 

Perhaps: The world believes what it sees.

I like it, but it sounds kinda sinister. Then again, I suppose that's not exactly a point against it.

Seems similar to the Wizard's First Rule, in a way. "People are stupid. They can be made to believe any lie because either they want to believe it's true or because they are afraid it's true."

I think you could rephrase it to be a bit more... hopeful. Brandon deals with something similar in the Liar of Partinel chapters (though I can't for the life of me find the version of them where Hoid is still alive and talks to Midius), and funnily enough, the Liar also uses Lightweaving. I could see an Ideal along the lines of "I will lie to those who wish to believe and give them hope."

Seems similar to the Wizard's First Rule, in a way. "People are stupid. They can be made to believe any lie because either they want to believe it's true or because they are afraid it's true."

I think you could rephrase it to be a bit more... hopeful. Brandon deals with something similar in the Liar of Partinel chapters (though I can't for the life of me find the version of them where Hoid is still alive and talks to Midius), and funnily enough, the Liar also uses Lightweaving. I could see an Ideal along the lines of "I will lie to those who wish to believe and give them hope."

I found this .....

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/35772519/The-Liar-of-Partinel

*Edit

If your looking for the rewritten version its here (click on link at bottem of blog post)

http://brandonsanderson.com/new-dragonsteel-chapter-one/

Edited by CodeMnke

Great point!

These "true lies" can be extremely powerful.  In a way, good and evil are both self fulfilling prophecies.  When Syl coaches Kaladin to move forward and help recreate the Radiants it is a sort of "true lie" that can become true. 

Just like when Yalb suckers the new guy into doing his chores, but says it can help his standing among the crew.  If the new guy takes it well, it can help him get along (until he turns out to be a Ghostblood agent and sinks the ship, anyway).  If the new guy acts surly, it can make things worse. 

I found this .....

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/35772519/The-Liar-of-Partinel

*Edit

If your looking for the rewritten version its here (click on link at bottem of blog post)

http://brandonsanderson.com/new-dragonsteel-chapter-one/

Thank you! The rewritten version was the one I found, but it was not the one I wanted. The first version was. The line I was thinking of was this:

"They will believe your lies," Hoid said. "For lies are precious to us. Tell them of beauty when all they see is dirt, and they will love you for it."

I could see this being related to the Lightweavers.

• Chaos locked this topic