17th Shard App?

MistbornAlpaca

I will link you to an extensive comment of mine on this matter: 

The long and short of it is that it's a lot of development effort (especially to keep up with new mobile versions) that we don't have time for. If there was an app, then that would delay IPS software updates even more for testing to make sure nothing breaks. This is to say nothing about the amount of time that would be spent on the app itself, which would be extensive. (We already have a software project, the new WoB Archive, and this takes a lot of time.) 

Additionally, I'm still confused as to what the real gains are by having an app and spending that time doing that. The mobile site is very, very good and I use it for most things, including the backend to do administration. Perhaps you can explain to me a use for an app that cannot be served with the mobile site? The only real thing is mobile push notifications, which you could just as easily get with email notifications.

An app would just be a slightly crappier wrapper for the forum and would interact the same. I don't understand why that's preferable to opening the mobile site.

7 minutes ago, Kaymyth said:

I promise you, this is not nearly as easy as people think it is. The subject has also been discussed at length and in great detail in similar threads.

I totally understand/believe you. Just wondering what people would think about this.

5 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Additionally, I'm still confused as to what the real gains are by having an app and spending that time doing that. The mobile site is very, very good and I use it for most things, including the backend to do administration. Perhaps you can explain to me a use for an app that cannot be served with the mobile site? The only real thing is mobile push notifications, which you could just as easily get with email notifications.

An app would just be a slightly crappier wrapper for the forum and would interact the same. I don't understand why that's preferable to opening the mobile site.

Don't worry, I love the site, and it's actually a pretty dang amazing site! Like I said above, I was just wondering what you guys would think about it.

3 minutes ago, MasterJack said:

I totally understand/believe you. Just wondering what people would think about this.

Don't worry, I love the site, and it's actually a pretty dang amazing site! Like I said above, I was just wondering what you guys would think about it.

Best thing to do, then, is scroll back a page or two on this board. You should be able to find the previous discussion pretty easily. :)

32 minutes ago, Kaymyth said:

Best thing to do, then, is scroll back a page or two on this board. You should be able to find the previous discussion pretty easily. :)

Thanks!

32 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Well, I'm more wondering what makes you ask for an app? What's the use case?

I don't honestly know. Just a lot of websites have apps (or in some cases a lot of apps have websites) and many people are very opinionated about which is better, the app or the website. Another thing is just that you could have notifications on your phone through the app, but I suppose having email notification on produces almost the same effect. I totally agree with you that if there was an app, it would have to add something to the experience, not just be a website duplicate.

1 hour ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Can we have ads for Brandons books? Or are we already doing that, since the site is dedicated to them?

There will be something along those lines yes :) Stay tuned.

58 minutes ago, CaptainRyan said:

I found your use case: "Hey Arcanum, find me all the WoBs with "dustbringers" in them."

Voice controlled WoB searches.

Sorry, that's not gonna happen :P but feel free to use voice typing on your phone to fill in the search box on the website ;)

26 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

Sorry, that's not gonna happen :P but feel free to use voice typing on your phone to fill in the search box on the website ;)

You could write a skill for Microsoft's new Invoke speaker that is powered by Cortana to hook into the Arcanum! 

disclaimer: I work on the Cortana team and may be biased about this

1 hour ago, CaptainRyan said:

You could write a skill for Microsoft's new Invoke speaker that is powered by Cortana to hook into the Arcanum! 

disclaimer: I work on the Cortana team and may be biased about this

Once we go open source, you'll be able to do it yourself ;)

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/27/2017 at 7:28 PM, ethan_sedai said:

I personally would like this, because I use a shared phone, and my parents took off safari for security reasons, so an app would be nice, because I could use it.

If you miss us so badly, perhaps you could try Discord? It's not the same as the forums, but it would get you a nice Sharder fix without needing a browser.