I found ishar and Chana!!!!!

Steeldancer

20 minutes ago, Rasha said:

Mentionned doesn't mean that they had a cameo somewhere. If someone uses the Herald name in a curse or an expression, that counts as mentionned.

Yes, and that's why they've all been mentioned in tWoK. That "Dustmother" comment was the only one people hadn't cemented in place before. 

There is a more recent WoP though that Chana has appear on screen at least once, to at least one character. So we've actually met her at some point in the first two books. 

Edit: I actually wasn't on board the "Liss is Chana" train until Peter said that. 

Edited by Calderis

The chaper headings thing has been extremely thoroughly dissected on the site before. It was several years ago, and I'm trying to find it, but I'm on my phone and it's tough for me to search threads with my data connection.

I cant really remember who the main searchers were, but I'll edit it in if I find it.

On 5.09.2017 at 9:03 AM, Darkness said:

The chaper headings thing has been extremely thoroughly dissected on the site before. It was several years ago, and I'm trying to find it, but I'm on my phone and it's tough for me to search threads with my data connection.

I cant really remember who the main searchers were, but I'll edit it in if I find it.

If you find it, let me know :)

• 1 month later...

Funny, I also found Ishi and Chana in my recent WoK reread, but somewhere else:

They are the two ardents on the Reshi islands. He is experimenting with food, she is experimenting with sprens.

At one point he tells her: "You have to taste it first, you are the brave one!" - Brave being the first divine attribute of Chana.

I doubt that the beggar in Axis' interlude is a herald. He's missing some teeth which doesn't fit well with the herald's immortality and non-aging. Could it be that an Amian, e.g. Axis, is an herald? 

8 hours ago, Dryone_2 said:

Funny, I also found Ishi and Chana in my recent WoK reread, but somewhere else:

They are the two ardents on the Reshi islands. He is experimenting with food, she is experimenting with sprens.

At one point he tells her: "You have to taste it first, you are the brave one!" - Brave being the first divine attribute of Chana.

I doubt that the beggar in Axis' interlude is a herald. He's missing some teeth which doesn't fit well with the herald's immortality and non-aging. Could it be that an Amian, e.g. Axis, is an herald? 

I am personally in the camp that says Ishar is Tezim, the Tukari God-Priest. As for Chana... I don't know if there is a good candidate beside Liss, but she seems too mentally stable to me. 

I don't think there are aimian Heralds, but I don't know if we have something that specifically disproves it.

Welcome to the forums!

3 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I am personally in the camp that says Ishar is Tezim, the Tukari God-Priest. As for Chana... I don't know if there is a good candidate beside Liss, but she seems too mentally stable to me. 

I don't think there are aimian Heralds, but I don't know if we have something that specifically disproves it.

Welcome to the forums!

Well, given, we haven't seen a lot of Chana. 

At this point I also think Ishar is Tezim. 

11 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Welcome to the forums!

Tnx. 

I looked specifically at all chapters with the double eye icon, and that gives some interesting possibilities :

* all Rhsn/Vstm chapters have that icon, so my bet is on Vstm

* Nan Balat has it, and that chapter only mentions the Davar kids and various cremlings. My guess: a Sleepless Aimian

* a chapter where Sadeas and Ialai watch Adolin duel. Maybe Sadeas doesn't have kids because his wife is a herald? 

*Axis the collector. I already said why I don't believe that the beggar is a herald 

* the ardent scientists who I take for Chana and Ishi. The quip "you do it, you are the brave one" convinced me of Chana's identity. Her companion is named Ashi (?), otherwise I don't see a direct hint to his identity 

* Shalash as Basil's mistress 

Plus Kalak/Jezrien in the prelude and Taln in the epilog makes 10 heralds. 

Oh, I forget, I also think that all heralds (except Taln) have some pet project:

- Nale kills surgebinders

- the Sleepless watches surgebinders

- Axis and Chana research sprens

- Ashi is into experimental cooking (that's why he needs a brave and obedient companion) 

- Shalash is being honest and destroys her herald pictures

- Ialai is into politics 

- Vstm travels all over Roshan and teaches traders

No idea what Kalak is up to. 

Do we have a WoB if Aimians have a fixed gender? 

Edited by Dryone_2

16 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Liss seems too mentally stable to me. 

You'd be surprised what sort of facade can be put up by someone who is focused on something.

8 hours ago, stonedshaman said:

szeths claim of "one of the other 7"  which to me reads as there is one Honor blade unaccounted for

Taln, Nalan, Jezrien(Szeth). Out of Ten, there would be Seven left. All accounted for. You're probably forgetting that Nalan took his back at some point in time.

8 hours ago, stonedshaman said:

So what is the Liss theory I've never heard it.

Here's the Condensed Version:

On 5/24/2017 at 6:17 PM, The One Who Connects said:

Long story short: Discussions about Aesudan(and Jasnah hiring Liss to tail her)
Spoiler tag to condense quotes

Hide contents

Credit to Gavin-Son-Son-Odegard for starting the talk about her blade.

We know that Taln's Honorblade was swapped for a Shardblade of unknown origin at some point between his arrival in Kholinar at the end of WOK and his arrival at the Shattered Plains in WOR. Now since I'm pretty sure Liss is still in Kholinar spying on Aesudan, and she's, as far as I know, the only Shardbearer present in Kholinar at this point, could she have swapped her Blade for Taln's Honorblade?

This led to Weltall theorizing that she may be a Herald(as possible motivation for taking his Blade)

One possible explanation for why Liss might take the blade: She's a Herald. She would know what an Honorblade is and might be inclined to grab one, if only to get access to Stormlight healing again. I thought it might be possible to speculate on which Herald she could be until I realized that Taln's blade shares no Surges with those possessed by the female Heralds, so whichever of them picked it up they'd be getting powers they'd never had access to before.

Which then led to me trying to patch holes in the idea(since I liked the line of thought)

Well, to kill two birds with one stone, she combats her insanity by focusing on combat. The whole "keep your mind off of it" schtick. Or better yet, following Weltall's "Chana" idea, her insanity is a twisting of the "brave, obedient" divine attributes where she follows orders/the contract(obedient) without regard for who, where or how(brave, in a sense)

Which led to Calderis' topic here.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2017 at 8:08 AM, Steeldancer said:

a man refers to the "dustmother"

Sorry to double post, but in light of OB Spoilers:

Spoiler

Chemoarish, the Dustmother, has some of the most varied lore surrounding her. The wealth of it makes sorting lies from truths extremely difficult. I do believe she is not the Nightwatcher, contrary to what some stories claim.

- From Hessi's Mythica, page 231

What do we think now?

1 hour ago, The One Who Connects said:

Sorry to double post, but in light of OB Spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

Chemoarish, the Dustmother, has some of the most varied lore surrounding her. The wealth of it makes sorting lies from truths extremely difficult. I do believe she is not the Nightwatcher, contrary to what some stories claim.

- From Hessi's Mythica, page 231

What do we think now?

Basically, yes I already realized that, and this theory is dead, and I'm back to not knowing anything. 

23 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

Basically, yes I already realized that, and this theory is dead, and I'm back to not knowing anything. 

The OB Spoiler board still has.. way too many topics I haven't looked at yet, so I missed the thread where you realized that. However, the OB Spoiler mentions "varied lore." I find it entirely possible that the term has gotten conflated with Chana over the centuries. Jezrien and Kalak have been equated with the Stormfather in Vorin/Natan lore over time too, so why not this too?

Between the Desolations, the Recreance, the Hierocracy, and the fire in the Palanaeum, there have been too many losses of knowledge for it to be ruled out.

9 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

The OB Spoiler board still has.. way too many topics I haven't looked at yet, so I missed the thread where you realized that. However, the OB Spoiler mentions "varied lore." I find it entirely possible that the term has gotten conflated with Chana over the centuries. Jezrien and Kalak have been equated with the Stormfather in Vorin/Natan lore over time too, so why not this too?

Between the Desolations, the Recreance, the Hierocracy, and the fire in the Palanaeum, there have been too many losses of knowledge for it to be ruled out.

And considering the in world connection between Releasers and Voidbringers that make them hate the name Dustbringer..... Yeah, totally believable. 

• Chaos locked this topic