[OB] Lopen not a squire

Watchcry

Since a squire needs to be near a Radiant to use Stormlight and Kaladin was in Urithiru when Lopen regrew his arm this means he did it independently from Kaladin, right? But if so he had a spren he was working with without the reader's knowledge....

1 minute ago, Watchcry said:

Since a squire needs to be near a Radiant to use Stormlight and Kaladin was in Urithiru when Lopen regrew his arm this means he did it independently from Kaladin, right? But if so he had a spren he was working with without the reader's knowledge....

I thought of this as well. The reality is though, we do not know how far of a distance that a Squire can be from their Radiant and still use their powers. It is possible the Narak is close enough to the war camps that Squire powers are still active.

With that said, I suspect you are indeed right and Lopen is a Proto-Radiant with a Spren.

I feel like Lopen's sudden ability to heal was a first, obvious way to show that Kaladin's breakthrough allowed his Squires (Bridge Four) to start manifesting additional capability.  Otherwise, Dalinar's comments about Squires would have been jarring.  Aside from that, the timing of him being able to draw on stormlight just as Kaladin broke through seems a little beyond calling it coincidence.

Aside from that, I see Lopen as loyal and dedicated to Kaladin, but not inherently dedicated to the same ideals that Kaladin and the others do.  We also see no specific sign of a spren, nor obvious indications of him saying the Words with any sort of effect.  Besides, I doubt Lopen would be able to keep sufficiently quiet about being a KR to avoid Dalinar's notice, especially since he noticed the regrown arm.

On the other hand, you could argue that perhaps Syl's redoubled defiance of the Stormfather gave the other Honorspren a chance to "make a break for it,"

Perhaps it is just an assumption that it is distance. Maybe it is how long Kaladin has been away instead? When Kaladin drops the king off with Lopen it was presumably only the length of the unexpected highstorm, and the Everstorm before we see Lopen begin growing the arm back. Now Kaladin has been away a full day.

I just dont think that with a windrunner having around 20-30 squires (perhaps more? I dont know how many men are left in Bridge Four) would preclude them from being used as scouts or even to deliver a message through an Oathgate as they would lose their abilities once they did.

Edited by skyeel

26 minutes ago, skyeel said:

Perhaps it is just an assumption that it is distance. Maybe it is how long Kaladin has been away instead? When Kaladin drops the king off with Lopen it was presumably only the length of the unexpected highstorm, and the Everstorm before we see Lopen begin growing the arm back. Now Kaladin has been away a full day.

I just dont think that with a windrunner having around 20-30 squires (perhaps more? I dont know how many men are left in Bridge Four) would preclude them from being used as scouts or even to deliver a message through an Oathgate as they would lose their abilities once they did.

Good point. Maybe it could be related to how much Kal is thinking about them or a function of a number of factors including distance, cognition somehow, stormlight, books strength etc. 

I think it is more location and timing. The armies were in Urithiu, word went out for them to evacuate, Lopen starts regrowing his arm. Kaladin was still fighting Szeth we know Szeth fell into the Storm lands. then Kaladin heads back and meet up with Bridge 4. so warcamps to shattered plains is in range, but Alethkar to Urithiu is not. Lopen also arrives before Kaladin leaves, another chance to finish regrowth.

On 8/31/2017 at 6:13 AM, redbishop said:

on the other hand, you could argue that perhaps Syl's redoubled defiance of the Stormfather gave the other Honorspren a chance to "make a break for it,"

Hahaa!!

Anyone else get a giggle from this seemingly unintentionally one armed herdazian joke ;)

Im going with squire, though i swear i read somewhere that squires have a slightly greater potential to attract spren..

Lopen would make a great lightweaver! Or edgedancer... maybe a dustbringer.?

Ahhh.! I really dont know what a two armed herdazian would do with stormlight...

!~ HIF ~!

Edited by Hoids Imaginary Friend

39 minutes ago, Irregular said:

We don't really know if Parshendi can be squires ( they supposedly can't be KR). Personally, I'm waiting for Gaz to squire up

Actually, I'm pretty sure the WoB is that no Parshendi has been a KR before but it is possible (not sure how/where to search those though so someone else will have to tell me if I remember that right, sorry).

Q:  How about the other way around? Can a Parshendi bond a KR spren?
A:  Historically, the Parshendi were not made Knights Radiant, or the parshmen weren't.

Q:  Can they become squires maybe?
A:  Historically they did not, but it's not impossible.

This states they can be Squires and maybe even Knights Radiant. 

1 hour ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

Speaking of squires...how likely is it for Rlain to be one already?

At risk of a thread-jacking?  I'd say low, for two reasons - one narrative, and one realmatic.  Narratively, Rlain beginning to manifest Squire-like powers could be a useful plot device to help bring around folks that believe the only way to deal with the Parshmen is murder-death-kill.  Realmatically, I speculate that Rlain's formal severing of ties with Kaladin weakened his Connection to Kaladin, which may be the form of the link (I almost said bond, but that word is already reserved!) with the KR.

21 minutes ago, Ansalem said:

Actually, I'm pretty sure the WoB is that no Parshendi has been a KR before but it is possible (not sure how/where to search those though so someone else will have to tell me if I remember that right, sorry).

I believe you are correct, though I shall draw from the text:

"...but more is then
Demanded by the smartest spren,
We can't provide what the humans lend,
Though broth are we, their meat is men.

But it is not impossible to blend
Their Surges to ours in the end.
It has been promised and it can come.
Or do we understand the sum?
We questioned not if they can have us then,
But if we dare to have them again."

Listener Song of Spren, 9-10th Stanza

The Parshendi, at least, think they can be... somehow... but have not before.  I think of all of Bridge Four, Rlain may actually be one of the first to be in the right headspace to attract an Honorspren of his own - he is honorable, dedicated, and is doing everything he can to protect and restore his people, even though that means working through enormous challenges like trying to convince Alethkar to view their recent enemies as a group to redeem and save.  Of course, for a variety of reasons he probably won't be the first to actually become a KR in his own right.

9 minutes ago, redbishop said:

Realmatically, I speculate that Rlain's formal severing of ties with Kaladin weakened his Connection to Kaladin, which may be the form of the link (I almost said bond, but that word is already reserved!) with the KR.

No, Nahel Bond is specific to KR and spren. A bond is exactly what they have with their knight. 

Edited by Calderis

25 minutes ago, Shrimple said:

This states they can be Squires and maybe even Knights Radiant. 

"TherehastobeananswerWhatistheanswerStopTheParshendiOneofthemYestheyarethemissingpiecePushfortheAlethitodestroythemoutrightbeforethisoneobtainstheirpowerItwillformabridge"

Floorboard 17: Paragraph 2, every second letter starting with the second

And I think this is referring to Eshonai. Apparently it will be a big victory for the KR and a blow to Taravangian's schemes if she becomes a KR. By the way, I think this was Gavilar's plan all along. I don't think the war he wanted to start was Alethi vs. Parshendi. He was going for an epic team-up.

Edited by OathKeeper
Formatting quote

32 minutes ago, OathKeeper said:

And I think this is referring to Eshonai. Apparently it will be a big victory for the KR and a blow to Taravangian's schemes if she becomes a KR. By the way, I think this was Gavilar's plan all along. I don't think the war he wanted to start was Alethi vs. Parshendi. He was going for an epic team-up.

I thought that particular message applied to Venli, as it was she that enabled Stormform, and we suspect that she had toyed with the form before giving it to Eshonai.

As for Gavilar, it looks very much like he was a Son of Honor.  Perhaps there is more to them, but they seem to feel like "Roshar + Heralds + Devastation > Roshar," and were willing to restore the Voidbringers if it meant mankind would have the guidance of the Heralds again.  Based on Jasnah's continuing research well after his death and her continued uncertainty, it seems unlikely that he knew that the parshendi actually were the Voidbringers, however (unless that was known in hidden Son-of-Honor lore).

• Argent changed the title to [OB] Lopen not a squire
  • Chaos locked this topic