Question about house Davar

christophalies

Currently doing my prerelease reread and I noticed something that is incredibly obvious, that I don't understand at all. If house Davar is in such terrible shape financially, did it ever occur to anyone that the family is in possession of a Shardblade?? And "Kingdoms have been sold for a single blade", so I'm pretty sure it would cover their house's debt. Surely I am missing some obvious reason why this is not a valid solution to their problem. Anyone have any ideas?

I've been wondering that too. Only plausible reason I can come up with is that they don't *know* she has a shardblade. She's certainly reluctant to use it, and doesn't even think of protecting herself with it during her "philosophy lesson" until she's back safe in her rooms. Or maybe there's some horrific secret involved in her acquiring it. (If that's the case, we'll find out soon. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D )

Now why didn't I think of that. #facepalm. However she acquired her Blade must be HIGHLY incriminating. Can't wait to see if this is something that we get an answer to. At least we know if we are going to get an answer it will definitely be in WoR because I really cannot see us getting this info in any way but the flashbacks.

It is also unclear how (the source not just the act) the blade came into her possession.  If the blade is of unknown or dubious provenance, it may be very difficult and dangerous to try to sell it.  It would raise all sorts of questions and quite possibly put her family in more direct jeopardy.   

Even if they got it quite legally, it would be hard to sell. The buyer would want to know exactly how it came into their possession. Asking those questions might find that the sword was perfectly legal, but it might uncover some of her family's other dark secrets (if it did come about legally, that is).

Moreover, they might not be willing to sell it. Settling their debts might be more than they can actually get for it with their contacts (Sadeas might not have enough spare cash to pay their price, let alone somebody less wealthy). It might have familial significance or be part of a later plan. I think they feel that they need the blade for now.

So many questions.

• Do they know she has the Shardblade (presumably not)?
  • Do they know she killed their father?
  • Was her father killed with the Shardblade?
  • How was her father killed?
  • How was Nan Balat injured?
  • There are presumably people who would pay immense sums for a Shardblade, no questions asked.  How would you transact with them safely?  "Okay, here's your money.  Thanks for the Shardblade.  Now give me the money back or your eyes are smoke."
  • How do you put the word out safely that you have a Shardblade for sale?
  • They are already afraid of the Ghostbloods wanting the Soulcaster back.  What if the Ghostbloods knew they had a Shardblade?
  • Does Jasnah know she killed her father (she said it to Pattern, but did Jasnah hear?)?
  • Does Jasnah know that she has a Shardblade (presumably not)?

Even if the rest of house Davar knows about it, if it was her Father's Shardblade, that would reveal too much to those outside the house. 

Either 1: that their Father is dead and hence passed it on, or 2: that he is in no position to stop his kids from selling a blade that they forced him to relinquish, which would undermine the house politically and even further financially as well. 

It's like trying to sell your dad's hand that has the bio-metric fingerprint password to your families vaults... it's going to raise questions regardless of its provenance!

I've always assumed the family doesn't know about the Shardblade, but I guess we'll see in WoR (I hope!!!)

I also assume that her brothers do not know about the blade.

Here is a scenario why selling the blade is a bad and dangerous idea.  They market the blade in whatever way you would do such a thing.  The rub is, what are the circumstances where someone would sell a blade?  1) They have at least one additional blade and they have obtained an extraneous blade via some form of legitimate combat. 2) They have substantial debts and are in such dire straits that they must sell such a precious object.  In scenario 1) such actions and acquisitions would likely be well-known.  Certainly the possession of the original blade would be known.  In the absence of scenario one or substantial evidence of scenario one, I would expect that scenario 2) would be the conclusion that potential "purchasers" would leap to.

And that is where the crap hits the fan.  A purchase would not likely take place.  More likely, interested parties would hire an assassin to kill the family and take the blade.  It would be likely be assumed that the family was killed due to the circumstances of their financial woes.  Not a good deal for the Davars.

Yep, I figured as much. Many more good theories out there than I could come up with on my own lol. I'm definitely starting to see how revealing that they had a Blade in order to market it for sale might have been a bad idea. Furthermore I guess it makes sense that her brothers do not know about it or Nan Balat would probably have it instead of her.

It could always have been spontaneously obtained through the Nahail bond, after all if the shard blades are linked to the knights radiant and no one knows how to make one why not. :)

Also I am under the impression that women as a rule do not posses shard blades, through a matter of culture and the methods through witch they are inherited, ie. who ever kills a shard barer may take the shards, not many women would get them and through a male oriented line of inheritance it is also unlikely that one would end up in the hands of a woman. so my guess a possible stigma attached to the blade at this point.

also please don't give me flak about the possibility of giving it to a sibling then selling it.

if she didn't have a spren i would say it could be an honor blade that gves her her ability, nows theres an interesting question if you stack an honor blade on a nahale bond what would happen?

while that is off topic

P.S. if i rambled, which i did please excuse it i haven't posted in a while.

Flakflakflak... I don't think there would be much stigma to the blade, given that the Radiant's came in both genders and some have theorized Adolin's armor was originally owned by a woman. But Shallan might have to deal with a level of Stigma iof she outed herself as a Shardbearer. Certainly less than Jasnah's heresy though.

Also Flak flak flak from a sibling about siblings. Flak.

What would she do with the blade?

* Tell her family: hey I have this shardblade that I killed papa with, and destroyed the soulcaster with. But yeah forget about that, let's sell it.

* Put an ad in the Vedean newspaper: Selling a bright and shiny Shardblade. You deal with a 17 yr girl that was never in a city. Don't ask about papa cause we don't want people to know that he's dead. Or that I killed him. Or that we alse have a broken soulcaster.

* PS: I don't know how to unbond the blade, or what unbonding means. (I only heard it in book 2). Or actually summoned the blade, maybe just once. Trust me my offer is genuine.

* Oh, why so many assasins suddenly in my room?

* Dear brightlord X, yes I will sell you the sword. Thank you for promising not to kill me and my army - one old guy that has a soulcaster (yea don;t kill him to get that too, cause it;s broken and worthless), the guy with a broken leg, and one more guy. Yes, that;s all of us. I trust you won't kill us and take your money back. Because we are all honorable here.

Should I go on?

• Chaos locked this topic