Lounge II (The Lounge Strikes Back)

kais

19 hours ago, Silk said:

I'm currently "enjoying" the symptoms of what is almost certainly a pinched nerve somewhere, so I can't sit down or stand up comfortably for any length of time. It has not exactly done wonders for my productivity. :rolleyes:

Oh no! I hope you feel better soon! 

Thanks everyone. The very worst seems to have passed at least, though it is now stubbornly refusing to continue to get better. I did find some stretches yesterday which seem to help, so at least that's something until I can carve out the time to make an appointment...

5 hours ago, The Kraken's Daughter said:

Hey all, RL got really busy for a while, which is why I haven't been around for a few weeks. Hoping to get back into the routine of critting and submitting!

Woop, woop. Glad to see you back :) 

Edited by Robinski

Project 75192: Update 18 - Bags No.14 - "Wings of  Falcon"

Now, we're going back to the middle area, and construction of a kind of winged section that sits in front of the crown of the fuselage(8). It's hinged on either side (5,6,7) so that it can rest over the different angles of the substructure and look 'bolted on', although actually there are not that many point of connection. It has a 'notch' out of one 'wing'(3,4) to permit a view of internal mechanical gubbins, as the four openings in the front 'prongs' did. The more I get into this the more boggled my brain gets at the design that has gone into it, the sheers calculation and, no doubt, trial and error, to get to the end result must have been immense, even if they did start from the previous Millennium Falcon model (which was present at the Lego exhibit at the art exhibition over at Point Square!).

IMG_0310a1.thumb.JPG.e40ab2b194c7c3a9a3271b9f481da811.JPG  IMG_0311a2.thumb.JPG.4db3957de025c9abd25b45ebd06c9ae5.JPG  IMG_0340a3.thumb.JPG.f5f751377026d39d84d859a5fc2e14bb.JPG  IMG_0341a4.thumb.JPG.226498ee359276f95a57c0e841349ead.JPG

IMG_0345a5.thumb.JPG.fa37a2cf41a246a920226fdf1de96da8.JPG  IMG_0346a6.thumb.JPG.6435ee4491bbdeed963389e2911f85b4.JPG  IMG_0347a7.thumb.JPG.edb97c4d2feed11f8f99bbf2e3e6d6a6.JPG  IMG_0348a8.thumb.JPG.013b57561414d98813362267e9a0145c.JPG

11 hours ago, Robinski said:

The more I get into this the more boggled my brain gets at the design that has gone into it, the sheers calculation and, no doubt, trial and error, to get to the end result must have been immense, even if they did start from the previous Millennium Falcon model (which was present at the Lego exhibit at the art exhibition over at Point Square!).

I always love trying to reverse engineer what the designers were thinking when they put a set together. When I was a kid, I'd get the castle sets and be disappointed they didn't have proper fortifications on the back side (so they were open for play) I fixed that as soon as I finished building!

Well, since someone else posted his assembly-required puzzle toy, I'll post mine. ;) This is a Boss Grade Mirai Cortex and unlike certain spaceships, she doesn't come with instructions (there're a bunch of fan-made walkthroughs, though, so it's not totally uncharted territory). I'm still waiting for my nippers and extra-tiny drill bits to arrive, and then I'll have to wait for a weekend when I'm not working two or three jobs, but I'm super excited to play plastic Frankenstein.

P1120263.thumb.JPG.96c2dcebaabc3cb6689cc07dd1e763d9.JPG

P1120266.thumb.JPG.a920ec4495787d6dec068178c3e54130.JPG   P1120265.thumb.JPG.6b6a2c75997ac521039ada76992f6b0f.JPG   

P1120268.thumb.JPG.158361d60be252e798a5eb5bf2f439f7.JPG

Hey, everybody!

So, life has been getting in the way of writing again... But this time it's something GOOD. I got a promotion at work! Woo!

I'm going to be mostly MIA for the next month or so while I'm learning the ins and outs of my new position. I'm still going to be an active participant in the group, reading everything and commenting when I can, but I'm sorry if I'm not able to do proper critiques like you all deserve.

I will of course be pulling myself out of the submission rotation until such time as I can provide proper feedback. 

Anyway, just thought I'd drop a line. Happy writing!

Edited by hawkedup

On 02/10/2019 at 6:31 PM, Mandamon said:

Cool! Looking forward to assembly pictures...

Yes!! No instructions?! Awesome!!!! :unsure: 

I'm very interested to see how this goes together. My curiosity was peaked when you show some parts before.

3 hours ago, Robinski said:

I'm very interested to see how this goes together

Lol, it's not actually that difficult, it's basically just a human form. You can mostly tell which parts go where from their shape. The doll is made up of a jointed inner skeleton and an outer shell, which is common for a doll of this type. The shell parts are the ones that look like the outside of a person, the bust, the torso, the upper thighs, etc. This is a "ball joint" style doll, so the inner skeleton peeks through the shell at elbows, wrists, and ankles (shoulders, hips, and knees, due to the jointing types being used there, usually end up covered by the shell), and those joints are round (or bean-shaped like the double-jointed elbow). I have to assemble the skeleton (which is the complicated part), grease up the joints, then fit the skeleton pieces into their respective shells. Less complicated than a giant spaceship, for sure (but more potential for horrifying photos, I like to think). :) 

I've already sent her head off to be stripped and repainted.  :3 

On 03/10/2019 at 4:46 AM, hawkedup said:

But this time it's something GOOD.

Hey, congratulations, Hawkedup! That's great :) 

We'll still be plodding along by the time you get back, no doubt. Enjoy!

Edited by Robinski

Well, my nippers finally arrived and I started trimming up the big sprues and flashings. As expected, my wrists and hands only lasted through about 20 minutes of work before I had to go ice them. (Take breaks when you game and use your compy, kids, don't end up like me!) The cheap nippers I got went through the plastic easily, at least; I was a little worried about that. I think I'm going to have to buy the specialized tool for removing seam lines from Games Workshop, though. I tried it with the X-acto and it was not good for my hands at all (tendons should not twang like rubber bands). Ah well. Incremental progress is still progress. 

IMG_20191004_190108.thumb.jpg.8797bb6088706e0c0a96b20ee77a2cae.jpg  IMG_20191004_190041.thumb.jpg.d6acd526a53e00f55f98dfe2d02ca90d.jpg

14 hours ago, industrialistDragon said:

Take breaks when you game and use your compy, kids, don't end up like me!

:o 

tendons should not twang like rubber bands

:o:o:o 

Incremental progress is still progress.

thumbs-up.jpg.eca998f48eb4e92681af000f453fb7bc.jpg

5 hours ago, Robinski said:

:o:o:o 

lol, I'll take those shocked faces as a compliment! ;) But yeah, if you computer at all, hand-and-wrist-health is super important. I did not learn this until after I'd wrecked mine -- heck, there was a span of 5 or 6 years there where I couldn't even curl my fingers into half a fist! (I've since regained almost all my range of motion at least.) Luckily, it's not difficult to maintain your hands and wrists, since primarily all you need to do is remember to take breaks (and stretch, but if all you can manage is breaks, that's still a lot), and if things in your hands and wrists are twanging, pinging, or twitching, stop if it is at all possible. 

4 hours ago, industrialistDragon said:

lol, I'll take those shocked faces as a compliment! ;) But yeah, if you computer at all, hand-and-wrist-health is super important. I did not learn this until after I'd wrecked mine -- heck, there was a span of 5 or 6 years there where I couldn't even curl my fingers into half a fist! (I've since regained almost all my range of motion at least.) Luckily, it's not difficult to maintain your hands and wrists, since primarily all you need to do is remember to take breaks (and stretch, but if all you can manage is breaks, that's still a lot), and if things in your hands and wrists are twanging, pinging, or twitching, stop if it is at all possible. 

I don't game anymore, but I've had my moment in my youth. My best pal and I used to RPG intensively through stuff like Diablo, D2, Doom, Quake, Runes of Magic, Mabinogi, etc. Now it's all office stuff, and writing, of course!! But there are always breaks. I do get some twitches, but nothing like what you describe; that's awful! :( 

On 10/8/2019 at 0:45 PM, Robinski said:

nothing like what you describe; that's awful!

lol, That ain't even half of it! :lol: But most days, it's not that bad anymore. I have physical therapy stretches, strength training exercises,  -- *cough*whichIreallyshouldbebetteraboutdoing*cough* -- sorry, something in my throat there, more ergonomic peripherals than you can shake a stick at (I think I keep the Microsoft Naturals 4000 in production all on my own with the way I burn through them), and I like to think I've gotten better about getting over my ego and either planning more time to do things, or simply asking for help when I need it. It's mostly jar openings, pulling heavy cake pans out of the oven, and the odd grippy, fiddly thing like cleaning doll parts. And shopping bags. Can't put shopping bags (or anything, really) on my forearms. It's like instant death, since a lot of the tendons in your hand actually attach up on your forearm or elbow!  I'll never be a pro gamer, digital artist, or 100WPM typist, but I can do almost everything I want to with enough preparation, workarounds, and breaks. ;) 

Everything is mostly cleaned and I finger-fitted the parts into what I think is the right order. I still haven't had time to look at the detailed walkthroughs or the pages listing the recommended mods (i'm not entirely certain about some of those joints). There's no way I'm going to be able to actually press these parts together with just my fingers, so now I need to find something to wrap my pliers in so I can safely use them...

IMG_20191012_104407.thumb.jpg.b7b71f92e63a0759314262e667fdaea2.jpg 

IMG_20191012_104426.thumb.jpg.5d372e839cbda1a04f5cc7bbd5501a0d.jpg   IMG_20191012_104418.thumb.jpg.d477df31142aa4ade34054fe042a99dd.jpg