Which version(s) of the book will you purchase?

laeelin

Which Version?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. When you get WoR, which version(s) will you purchase?

• Hardback
    • eBook
    • Audiobook
  2. 2. Which version do you prefer?

• Hardback
    • eBook
    • Audiobook

(1) Which version(s) of the book will you be buying?

I have the audible.com version preordered. I will also purchase a signed hardback copy from brandonsanderson.com when they are available.

===========================================

(2) Which version do you prefer?

Audio.

I prefer audio for two reasons.

1) I love reading a thick hardback, but I've found that I miss a lot when I read a book. I don't know if this is a normal problem, but it is a problem for me. I don't read "word by word". I basically I skip sections without even realizing it. With an audobook I don't skip ahead, so I will not miss anything.

2) I can do other things while listening to an audiobook. Depending on the work i'm doing at the time I can even work while listening to an audobook. 

Sidenote: If I read WOR as a hardback I will finish it in 1 or 2 days (even if I get no sleep). Listening to it as an audiobook will give me about a week to savor the book in. 48.5 hours of entertainment! :)

EIther way - there is no "wrong" way to enjoy a Brandon Sanderson book!

I have all 3 versions pre-ordered but to me, nothing beats a good hardcover. One day when Brandon is nearby my town, i will hopefully get a change to have him sign it.

I usually listen to the audiobook due to my work commute, and when i'm home i read the e-book.

Hardcover all the way. Just the weight of the book in my hands makes my day. Also, I love the smell of new books. I know that sounds really weird, but when I got my copy of Hyrule Historia, the first thing I wanted to do was read it. The second thing I wanted to do was smell it.

Also, and this may mortify some of you, they make great platforms for putting your cups and food on while you sit down on the couch.

1) I love reading a thick hardback, but I've found that I miss a lot when I read a book. I don't know if this is a normal problem, but it is a problem for me. I don't read "word by word". I basically I skip sections without even realizing it. With an audobook I don't skip ahead, so I will not miss anything.

EIther way - there is no "wrong" way to enjoy a Brandon Sanderson book!

Not just you, I find when I read the book a second time I find a whole lot of new stuff.

I'm going to get both the hardback and the e-book.  I prefer to read on my kindle because it is so light and comfortable but would miss having such a beautiful book on my shelf if I didn't get the hardback.

im looking for hardback + ebook discounted offers.

btw there is allready a topic about this =) ok it has no poll, but its there.

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/5707-should-i-buy-the-hard-cover-or-ebook-of-wor/

Yeah I wish publishers would give free e-book vouchers w/book purchases like they do with blu-ray discs. 

I don't have the space really for the hardcover, but I love the art.  Do we know if either the kindle, or at least the ibook version will include the art this time?  If I can know that I'd likely get the ebook as well as the hardcover and audiobook I've already ordered.

I don't have the space really for the hardcover, but I love the art.  Do we know if either the kindle, or at least the ibook version will include the art this time?  If I can know that I'd likely get the ebook as well as the hardcover and audiobook I've already ordered.

I also love the art. If it turns out the ebook doesn't have it, though, the art is uploaded on Brandon's website. The Way of Kings took a whole month to get it up there, however.

btw there is allready a topic about this =) ok it has no poll, but its there.

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/5707-should-i-buy-the-hard-cover-or-ebook-of-wor/

That topic is about which is a better value and which he should buy first. There are replies that would fit perfectly in here though. ;)

Edited by laeelin

I will probably get all three versions eventually. My favourite format is still a proper book though despite the usefulness of having every book on one small device. I like audiobooks for when I'm working and I also find I pick up different and new things when listening to an audiobook that I either missed or overlooked as I tend to speed read things.

ebook/ebook

I've always liked having the physical thing, but as I've acquired more books and moved apartments a couple times, the iPad is a godsend. Having a whole library in one small object is just fantastic. Its way easier to hold than a 1000+ hardback behemoth, too. Search ability is an unexpected bonus.

Caveat: artwork is compromised… rarely do you get a full page cover let alone endpapers, and all the included artwork is smaller than the screen and is sometimes hard to read. I originally bought WOK physically, but snagged the ebook when it was on sale. Just finished a reread using the ebook, my first time reading WOK digitally, and I do miss the feel and look of the artwork pages. 

I love the audio version: I don't have to feel guilty about the pleasure of re-listening to it because I can get stuff done in the mean time. I've succumbed to that pleasure for WoK five times now...

But the first time through I have to read it myself because 48.5 hours is too slow. and since my bookshelves are overcapacity I am resigned to the ebook over the beautiful (if wrist-breaking) hardback.

I've got the American hardback, English paperback and Kindle version on pre-order.

I'll normally take the ebook version over a hardback until the paperback is available but for this series I want the American covers as a bonus.

I prefer reading paperback but Kindle is more convenient for a book this size.

For a book with illustrations (or a comic book) it is better to read on a Kindle Fire but a normal Kindle is better for regular books. I've just given away my K-Fire to my sister so I'll not have that option and will have to make do, illustration wise, until I receive a pulp version.

I think I'm going to get the ebook for my Nook to read, and wait to get the hardcover at the Philly signing, so I can support the hosting bookstore. It will suck to wait to see the end papers, but I know Brandon asks that we buy a book at signings. Now that I think about it though, maybe I will finally pick up a memory of light hardcover there instead....

These days, I only get hardcovers (and not ebooks/audiobooks) for books of my favorite authors.  I will get my copy of WoR signed at some point (next time Sanderson has a NY area appearance).

I'll get the audiobook eventually when I have a free audible credit and a long trip (or a lot of yard/house work to do) since I love the Kramer/Redding readings.

I'll get all three eventually, but first off is Hardcover and Audio.  Hardcover for a first fast read(I'm giving myself 36 hours to complete this while living a regular day), Audio to share with my little brothers/girlfriend and for a nice slow listenthrough while doing anything else/to listen to when I have to drive for work while I want to be reading.

I think I'm going to get the ebook for my Nook to read, and wait to get the hardcover at the Philly signing, so I can support the hosting bookstore. It will suck to wait to see the end papers, but I know Brandon asks that we buy a book at signings. Now that I think about it though, maybe I will finally pick up a memory of light hardcover there instead....

Exactly my plan (and I'm also in Philly!)

I like to read Hardcovers, so I'm going to order the US Hardcover (Australia shares the UK cover i think. I much prefer the US covers). I've not listened to Audiobooks before, so I don't have an opinion.

I also tend to skim read, skipping words, getting the gist of sentences, etc. I'm also the sort who will sit down and read 3 days straight till the book is done. Skipping bits adds a bit of rereadability though - Each read-through is slightly different (you'll miss different things, while picking up cool other things you missed first time round)

I will be getting the US hard cover as I just ordered the US hard cover of the Way of kings. But if I see the Gollancz version in stores here I'll get that too as I much much prefer the cover style (not necessarily better art) to that of the American books.And it's also good to support your local stores.

Edit: I will probably get the ebook too as soon as it becomes available.Also though interesting I have no desire to get the audiobook three copies is enough I think haha.

Edited by Iredomi

I'll buy me a Hardcover on release day, and see if I can hold out on the e-book until I can find it on sale. I'll probably end up buying the e-book at full price though because it's so much easier to find quotes in and do research with.