Aesudan Kholin, Theories and Speculations

17 hours ago, Radiant_Jaeger said:

What do you think these shadows that elhokar, Shallan' father and many others have seen are. These things that seem to be the foundation of a whole lot of evil in the books?

I have a feeling that only certain people are susceptible for some reason. I hope to see more reasons for this in the next book.

Sprens are naturally drawn to those standing in position of powers: it is thus safe to assume whichever ones are creating those shadows are doing it out of interest for what Elhokar/Aesudan are doing. Also, LIn has been under the influence of Odium, we could argue those shadows, the ones Elhokar sees, have similar intentions.

• 2 months later...

MOOSE

Has Hemalurgy been used on another planet besides Scadrial?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes it has. Brandon did not want to give out any more details about who was getting spiked or if the spiking was successful.

Is it really that far-fetched, or has this been debunked?

7 hours ago, Solant said:

Is it really that far-fetched, or has this been debunked?

You mean that Aesudan is spiked? Could be possible, I guess, but then comes the obligatory question of who did the spiking.

However, her behavior feels more like something a selfish, worried and incompetent person would do. The one thing that speaks for her being spiked is, in my opinion, that she might have been different just a couple of months before the Kholinar interlude, since Navani seemed to think that Aesudan, and the capital, could handle itself without her. A spike could explain Aesudans sudden change of behavior.

Well just keep in mind that a spike would usually kill the spiked one... unless the spiker has extraordinary expertise in Hemalurgy. Which, to our knowledge, only one person has (and he's not even really alive).

Eh, I don't think Aesudan is spiked. I think it's something far more mundane. Maybe a secret lover with bad influence or the such?

1 hour ago, Rob Lucci said:

Eh, I don't think Aesudan is spiked. I think it's something far more mundane. Maybe a secret lover with bad influence or the such?

I have had this very small and insignificant theory wanting Aesudan to actually have a lover (or lovers). Worst, my theory wants her son not to be Elhokar's, but some "other man"... I thought it could lead to an interesting character, within the back 5, the bastard child of the former queen, but it may be a tad-contrived.

Edited by maxal

5 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

mean that Aesudan is spiked? Could be possible, I guess, but then comes the obligatory question of who did the spiking.

However, her behavior feels more like something a selfish, worried and incompetent person would do. The one thing that speaks for her being spiked is, in my opinion, that she might have been different just a couple of months before the Kholinar interlude, since Navani seemed to think that Aesudan, and the capital, could handle itself without her. A spike could explain Aesudans sudden change of behavior

Spoiler

The only reason it occurred to me, her erratic behavior is reminiscent of Penrod post spike in HoA, especially the way he would hear TLR. She is mysteriously certain the Almighty is displeased with her, but this could also be just a guilty conscience for whatever reasons yet to be revealed.

34 minutes ago, Solant said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The only reason it occurred to me, her erratic behavior is reminiscent of Penrod post spike in HoA, especially the way he would hear TLR. She is mysteriously certain the Almighty is displeased with her, but this could also be just a guilty conscience for whatever reasons yet to be revealed.

Mistborn Spoilers:

Spoiler

When did Penrod hear TLR? I know he got spiked, but I dont recall any specific mention about TLR.

My thoughts are still that it is just religious worry. Some religious people are very scared of sin/displeasing God. This is an aspect of religion Brandon hasn't yet discussed very much, so I think it is more likely that she is suffering from normal worries (possibly enhanced by Unmade/other evil things) than her being spiked. 

And then @maxal, don't you think poor Elhokar has had a rough enough life without having to deal with an unfaithful wife as well? :-D

Edited by Toaster Retribution

1 hour ago, maxal said:

I have had this very small and insignificant theory wanting Aesudan to actually have a lover (or lovers). Worst, my theory wants her son not to be Elhokar's, but some "other man"... I thought it could lead to an interesting character, within the back 5, the bastard child of the former queen, but it may be a tad-contrived.

It sounds interesting, but to me it seems similar to Redin's character. He is the bastard child of the former king of Jah Keved. I'm one of the people who believes Redin will become a Dustbringer, and I think he'll get a story arc. 

11 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

And then @maxal, don't you think poor Elhokar has had a rough enough life without having to deal with an unfaithful wife as well? :-D

I do not pity Elhokar. I do not pity the man who blames his own short-comings onto others, who bullies others just to make himself appear strong and who expects to be great just because of his lineage without having to work out for it. While it is true life sometimes deal you bad cards, how you deal with them is the measure of yourself and Elhokar chose to deal with his ordeals by whining and playing at being a victim. He even crafted a fake assassination attempt just so Dalinar would see him as a poor victim and quite frankly nothing riles me up worst than this kind of behavior.

This being said, none of it means he deserves to be cheated on (nobody does), but if it were to happen, it would definitely help Elhokar's character garner some sympathy from readers such as myself who aren't moved by his drunken confessions.

4 hours ago, maxal said:

I do not pity Elhokar. I do not pity the man who blames his own short-comings onto others, who bullies others just to make himself appear strong and who expects to be great just because of his lineage without having to work out for it. While it is true life sometimes deal you bad cards, how you deal with them is the measure of yourself and Elhokar chose to deal with his ordeals by whining and playing at being a victim. He even crafted a fake assassination attempt just so Dalinar would see him as a poor victim and quite frankly nothing riles me up worst than this kind of behavior.

This being said, none of it means he deserves to be cheated on (nobody does), but if it were to happen, it would definitely help Elhokar's character garner some sympathy from readers such as myself who aren't moved by his drunken confessions.

I do pity Elhokar. He is supposed to rule and be the king, but basically everyone is more competent than he is, even those who he has been thaught is below him, like Kaladin. And then you add paranoia to this. He does want to be better, but he is not a very strong individual, and has a hard time improving, maybe because everyone constantly outshines him. 

While it is true that he plays the victim, it is also true that he tries to do things. He asks Kaladin for help, but is turned down. He stands beside Dalinar and Adolin against the other Highprinces. I confess to being moved by his drunken confessions :-)

And also, the fake assassination was so that he could know wether he could trust Dalinar or not. It was stupid nonetheless, but I get the impression that it was mostly there to test Dalinar, not to gain sympathy.

On 7/25/2017 at 9:28 AM, Toaster Retribution said:

Mistborn Spoilers:

Hide contents

When did Penrod hear TLR? I know he got spiked, but I don't recall any specific mention about TLR.

From the Coppermind:

When TenSoon is trying to get information on what happened to Luthadel during his year in the Kandra Homeland, he interrogates two guards in front of Keep Venture. They reveal that Penrod is commonly believed to be mad, he speaks to himself and claims he can see the Lord Ruler. He also gives disturbing orders, including forcing the skaa to fight to the death for food while claiming that only the strong may survive.TenSoon then advises local worshipers of the Church of the Survivor that they should run from Penrod as he is likely to kill them at any point due to Ruins influence, and take refuge in underground caverns.[2]

Look at the family and tell me that maybe just maybe she is not just an awful ruler. Her husband is at best an incompetent and weak ruler. Her father in law made some very questionable choices which led to his assassination. Her uncle is a former blood soaked warlord. We do not know what if any counsel she  has to fall back on other than her corrupt ardents lets face it she does not need to be possessed or the champion of a god of hatred she can simply be someone who is so far in over their heads that any decision that they make is the wrong one.

On April 4, 2017 at 7:00 PM, Gavin-son-son-Odegard said:

"Here's the thing," Lhan said. "The queen...she sometimes worries that maybe the Almighty isn't pleased with her"

My crazy, maybe not so crazy theory: Aesudan has been receiving visions from Odium, like Dalinar receives visions from Honor.  Aesudan has no idea she's interacting with Odium, and instead thinks she is speaking with the Almighty.  But, seeing as it's Odium, the conversations are probably dark and twisting her, leading her to believe that she has angered the Almighty somehow.

How this has changed her, we do not know, but it's been notable enough that both Jasnah and Dalinar have been worried into taking action.

I don't know. As soon as Navani is said to have left to return to the Shattered Plains, having decided Aesudan a capable ruler without her council, everything we have heard about Aesudan goes beyond simple negligence. I can't pin point exactly why but something screams outside influence to me. Maybe I just have a hard time believing someone used to ruling could screw up that badly this quickly by accident.

I dont like the controlled-by-Odium theories, for a number of resons:

1. It feels very predictable. As soon as someone behaves strangely/is evil people assume that it is control by Odium or Unmade.

2. It feels done already. Mistborn Era 1 spoilers:

Spoiler

Ruin basically controlled half the cast in sone way during HoA.

3. I dont want everything to be about Odium. I like it when there are human threats as well, such as the secret societies. 

Having Aesudan controlled by someone else (like the Sons of Honor) or acting by herself, feels much more interesting.