Cultivation is a Dragon

LordOfStorms

Support:

1. Dragonsteel, where the original Shardholders came from, contained 3 sentient species. One of them was dragons. It's a fair assumption that at least one of the Shardholders came from each species. 
  2. The first Letter, written by Hoid, was addressed indirectly to a reptile. 

"Ponder on that for a time, you old reptile, and tell me if your insistence on nonintervention holds firm."                                                                                                                           It's far from certain that the letter was addressed to Cultivation, but that should certainly be considered a possibility.                                                                                                             

3. The double eye of the Almighty looks reptilian, with scales at the edges of the eye. 
  4. Because the double eye is Rosharan, it could refer to either Honor or Cultivation. However, we get a clue to its origins in the drawing of Szeth by Ben McSweeney- in that drawing, Szeth's belt carries a double-eye. This implies the double eye is of the Shin culture, which we know worships Cultivation. 

What do you guys think?

I can't say I have seen the connection between the Double Eye and a reptilian eye, but it's an interesting one. Maybe it will end up being important, maybe not. Brandon has said that it was at least party inspired by the Kabbalah, however, so take that as you will. 

As for Szeth's belt, my impression is that the Double Eye is present in more, if not most, cultures than just the Alethi and/or the Shin. Many nations on Roshar believe in the Almighty in some way (though they don't all revere him as much as the Alethi, I think), so it would make sense for many of them to have some variations of the Double Eye. 

On 01/06/2017 at 8:34 PM, The Invested Beard said:

As far as #2 is concerned it's been confirmed that Hoid is talking to Frost, a dragon from Yolen.

Has that been confirmed? It's very, very likely, but I can't remember if it has been stated outright.

Anyway, from what I can remember of that letter, the writer seems to write as if they themselves weren't a shard.

2 hours ago, Eki said:

Has that been confirmed? It's very, very likely, but I can't remember if it has been stated outright.

Anyway, from what I can remember of that letter, the writer seems to write as if they themselves weren't a shard.

Surprisingly I didn't find outright confirmation but just short of it.

Around Nov 29th, 2016, Brandon Sanderson said:

Question

During the events of Stormlight Archive, is Yolen still populated?

Brandon Sanderson
Yes... yes, I would say so since a letter is written to somebody on Yolen.
(source)

Around Jan 7th, 2015, Brandon Sanderson said:

Question

Is Hoid a dragon?

Brandon Sanderson
Oh I will give you a RAFO card.  Have you read Dragonsteel? Don’t read it, it’s bad. He is one of the oldest people in the cosmere, but he is not the oldest. The person he is writing a letter to is indeed older than he is.
(source)

Around Aug 13th, 2014, Brandon Sanderson said:

Question

Who is the oldest character we know?
Can a person in Shardplate be Rioted or Soothed? What about Seeked?
Could a Coinshot, in a fight, damage Shardplate?

Brandon Sanderson
Frost is almost certainly the oldest by a small amount. After that, Hoid.
(source)

Around Sep 24th, 2013, Brandon Sanderson said:

Question

You know Hoid's Letter, that is in The Way of Kings, it is given to a dragon right?

Brandon Sanderson
He calls himself an old reptile.

Question
Is he immortal?

Brandon Sanderson
Functionally, meaning he doesn't age but can be killed.

Question
And it is a he and not a she?

Brandon Sanderson
It is a he.
(source)

Edited by yurisses

9 hours ago, Eki said:

It has been confirmed.

I just a got a call from my husband. I told him to ask “If the recepient of Hoid’s Letter in Way of Kings is a Dragon?”. I really expected Sanderson to RAFO it, but instead he confirmed it!! Apparently he said that no one has ever asked him that before and that it was right on the money and from an unpublished book (Dragonsteel, I’m sure). Assuming the hubby asked correctly, that confirms both that the recipient is a Dragon and Hoid is the writer. Great catch!!!

Source, comment #46 by Ciella.

I'm pretty sure I've seen it somewhere else as well, but I can't remember where.

58 minutes ago, BlackYeti said:

It has been confirmed.

Source, comment #46 by Ciella.

I'm pretty sure I've seen it somewhere else as well, but I can't remember where.

That only says the recipient is a dragon from an unpublished book, not that it is Frost. Like I said, it's very, very likely to be Frost, but I haven't seen any confirmation.

Edited by Eki

43 minutes ago, Eki said:

That only says the recipient is a dragon from an unpublished book, not that it is Frost. Like I said, it's very, very likely to be Frost, but I haven't seen any confirmation.

Rust and Ruin, you're right; I was so focused on the dragon part I didn't notice the Frost part. So much for reading comprehension I guess. Maybe I can blame this on my dyslexia?

I think it's all but guaranteed that the recipient is Frost at this point though: they're both dragons, they both know Hoid, and they both have a non-intervention policy. There can't be all that many people going around who match all of those criteria. In terms of explicit confirmation though, I'm not actually sure that there is any. This is the closest that I could find:

QUESTION

I was wondering if we were very going to see Dragons in the Cosmere?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes, Dragonsteel. One of the first books I ever wrote in the Cosmere has dragons. It's also just one of the weaker books, so I can't publish it as is, but yea. Being a big fan of dragons, I did write them into the Cosmere. They are the one standard fantasy race in there.

QUESTION

Are they ever going to infiltrate the other worlds kind of?

BRANDON SANDERSON

*Talks about the letter and Frost, Flashback order, and the girls costume*

Edited by BlackYeti

48 minutes ago, BlackYeti said:

Rust and Ruin, you're right; I was so focused on the dragon part I didn't notice the Frost part. So much for reading comprehension I guess. Maybe I can blame this on my dyslexia?

I think it's all but guaranteed that the recipient is Frost at this point though: they're both dragons, they both know Hoid, and they both have a non-intervention policy. There can't be all that many people going around who match all of those criteria. In terms of explicit confirmation though, I'm not actually sure that there is any. This is the closest that I could find:

It does confirm that the person is male, therefore meaning that the recipient is not Cultivation.

All this said, I strongly suspect the Nightwatcher, who wields the Old Magic, is a dragon. 

I can't point to any one thing in particular. Just a suspicion. 

But if the Nightwatcher is just a super Cultivation spren.... what is it doing controlling the Old Magic? How? 

Edited by ZenBossanova

20 minutes ago, ZenBossanova said:

All this said, I strongly suspect the Nightwatcher, who wields the Old Magic, is a dragon. 

I can't point to any one thing in particular. Just a suspicion. 

But if the Nightwatcher is just a super Cultivation spren.... what is it doing controlling the Old Magic? How? 

Brandon has strongly and implicitly stated that the Nightwatcher is sentient entity composed of investiture. 

1 hour ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Brandon has strongly and implicitly stated that the Nightwatcher is sentient entity composed of investiture.

He has also confirmed that Nightwatcher is for Cultivation what Stormfather is for Honor (or that it's very similar).

It would make her a godspren.

45 minutes ago, Exalted Dungeon Master said:

Do we know if Sanderson's dragons can shapeshift? Because we have WoB that Honor and Cultivation were involved romantically, and lack of a human form for her could get...awkward, to say the least.

Brandon has confirmed that dragons can take on human avatars. 

Edited by Spoolofwhool

• Chaos locked this topic