Brandon could you hurry the hell up?? and what was with Calamity?

snacpacc

9 hours ago, snacpacc said:

Could we not wait for the next stormlight book for another year??? 

And how could you ruin the reckoners series with calamity, the book and the character... he was supposed to be a badass... ugh!

I think the State of Sanderson speculated writing time for the Stormlight books at about 18 months a book. Adding in him doing other project to recharge his creative batteries, I'm guessing we'll get a Stormlight book every two-three years.

Considering that time in between releases is still filled with other books... I don't mind. If one of those books ends up being Nightblood, I'll be ecstatic. :ph34r:

Haven't read Calamity, so no comment there.

9 hours ago, snacpacc said:

Could we not wait for the next stormlight book for another year??? 

And how could you ruin the reckoners series with calamity, the book and the character... he was supposed to be a badass... ugh!

If you want good books to keep being churned out at a somewhat constant rate (rather than poor and unpolished books every, say, 6 months or so), I'd suggest keeping your complaints to a certain level of civility.

If he didn't take so long to work on his books, they wouldn't be the masterworks that we gather together on this site to obsess over discuss.

Also, on a personal note, I was quite happy with the Reckoners conclusion, but that may just be me.

Edited by bleeder

People, we have just found just found another @alexanderkeeton.

As to your complaint about SA, I see where you're coming from. I wish he did write faster, but if you look at Martin or Rothfuss he already writes ridiculously fast. And as for Calamity, I at least thought it was fine, a sentiment many share. 

Ummm...at what point was David ever supposed to be a BA? I always saw him more as the awkward nerd that was willing to do the things that needed to be done. He grew as a character and I really enjoyed it. As for the last book, I loved everything but the very end. I was a little disappointed in the final confrontation simply because it seemed a little anticlimactic. That being said though, it was still a solid book and it wrapped the story up in a rather pleasing way. I think that I'd have rather seen the reconers being a 5-6 book series so that the final confrontation could have had time to build. 

Spoiler

Honestly though... How in the world could he have legitimately defeated Colamity... He had already done the impossible more times than he should have been able too.

Seriously though, Brandon is an incredibly fast writer, especially when you consider all of the hidden details he puts in his stories. If Patrick Rothfuss ever manages to finish his third book, he will likely go down in history as having wrote the best trilogy of our generation. However, that being said, Brandon in my opinion is still the best author I know. His output is extraordinary. The level of depth and creativity is just insane. I'm sorry you were disappointed in Calamity, but if that is an example of his writing done poorly, (and trust me it's not) then we can expect great things from him. And he's proving that it's alright to expect great things because he's constantly delivering high quality material. Thanks Brandon!

On Friday, January 06, 2017 at 6:39 AM, Assassin in Burgundy said:

People, we have just found just found another @alexanderkeeton.

As to your complaint about SA, I see where you're coming from. I wish he did write faster, but if you look at Martin or Rothfuss he already writes ridiculously fast. And as for Calamity, I at least thought it was fine, a sentiment many share. 

Was that the guy we voted to Braize?

On 1/6/2017 at 2:15 PM, DarkJester said:

Hide contents

Honestly though... How in the world could he have legitimately defeated Colamity... He had already done the impossible more times than he should have been able too.

The illogical alternate ending I cherish is:

The "My name is David Charleston and I kill Epics thing", but David dies and the bomb kills Calamity.

It would be more badchull, but also wouldn't really make sense. Still. Badchull.

1 hour ago, WayneSpren said:

The illogical alternate ending I cherish is:

Reveal hidden contents

The "My name is David Charleston and I kill Epics thing", but David dies and the bomb kills Calamity.

It would be more badchull, but also wouldn't really make sense. Still. Badchull.

Lol. Do you watch HISHE (How It Should Have Ended) on YouTube? I believe there were talks of a Steelheart movie. Perhaps if they go through with it and make this series we will get a HISHE with your ending.

On 1/7/2017 at 9:41 PM, DarkJester said:

Lol. Do you watch HISHE (How It Should Have Ended) on YouTube? I believe there were talks of a Steelheart movie. Perhaps if they go through with it and make this series we will get a HISHE with your ending.

I wish. Though I'll wait to spam them with requests until the movie is actually made.

Loved Steelheart, was disappointed by Firefight, liked Calamity.  Thought the conclusion wrapped things up pretty well.  But obviously, opinions vary. 

On 1/6/2017 at 8:32 AM, Hemalurgic_Headshot said:

The Calamity Conclusion might have been done differently to create more appeal, however it successfully brought the trilogy to a close.

As for SA, I can not think of anyone who is a Sanderfan that does not want more SA books at a faster pace.

Agreed.  Everyone wants more SA, faster.  But getting too worked up about the speed with which our golden goose produces eggs leads down dark roads.  

Show me another writer who produces better fiction than Brandon as fast as he does, or fiction of the same quality, faster.  

(Actually, if you do know of any, I'd seriously like to know because that would be super awesome.)

On 1/7/2017 at 10:50 PM, Elenion said:

Was that the guy we voted to Braize?

On 1/7/2017 at 11:52 PM, bleeder said:

Yeah. Still sorry I missed that. :P

Wait, when and where did this happen? Anyone have the links? I want to read it :P

Brandon seems to try his best to write his awesome books fast while also doing signings and stuff which is cool, and he's still writing them fast so far.

I hope he just keeps doing what he's doing, especially as he seems happy with his lifestyle. 

Calamity did seem rushed at the end. I wish it had been 20-30 pages longer to wrap up the story fully.

When it comes to Stormlight, no one likes waiting. But a positive thing about the wait is discussion and speculation. Once we have all the books, that will die down, since we know everything (kind of).

On another note, I dont really see why a guy gets 21 downvotes for voicing his opinion.

3 hours ago, Chull #445 said:

On another note, I dont really see why a guy gets 21 downvotes for voicing his opinion.

I think it's probably because it seems to a lot of people quite entitled (not quite the right word, but close enough). I think a lot of people take for granted the speed of Brandon's writing, and his communication with his fans. I know that I certainly find it grating when people feel like the author owes it to them to write an amazing book really quickly. Given how involved and long Stormlight books are, I can understand why people feel entitled to a book when they want it, rather then when an author thinks his/her art (because that is what really good books are) is ready. There also wasn't much reasoning, so that could have been a factor; it seems like complaining without reason about something a person feels entitled to. Pretty much making the worst of an already amazing situation (remembering that Brandon owes us nothing, and doesn't need need to be so fast a writer whilst doing amazing things on the side like book tours, podcasts and generally being excellent at communicating with fans). (Sorry for the probably overblown explanation, I get carried away sometimes -_-)

• 1 month later...

On a completely unrelated note (lol, 'lamespren') 

Is there a compiled list of reputation titles? Negatives and Positives?

(Sorry for being off topic... just pretend this post doesn't exist :ph34r:... unless you know of a compiled list of reputation titles:P)

Nevermind... I just found it... this never happened :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Edited by The Technovore
lol wups

4 minutes ago, The Technovore said:

On a completely unrelated note (lol, 'lamespren') 

Is there a compiled list of reputation titles? Negatives and Positives?

(Sorry for being off topic... just pretend this post doesn't exist :ph34r:... unless you know of a compiled list of reputation titles:P)

There is, but there is not one for the negative, as far as I know. Look in 17th Shard Discussion for a thread named New Reputation Levels (or something of the like).

• Chaos locked this topic