God metals and spren

yulerule

So I was thinking. We have it confirmed that with some hacking, we can get godmetals of any shard, and presumably, they will give interesting abilities. So a lot of the focus was on soreness and Tanavastium because we already see the solid form of that investiture. So what if we do it the other way around? If, with hacking we can "tune" other shards into Scadrials magic system, can we also tune it to Roshar's? That is, turn other pieces of other shards into spren. 

If so, and those spren give us novel surgebinding abilities, is there a theoretical relationship, or similarity from the powers you get.

Example, we get Edgli/Endowment and turn a piece of the investiture into a god-metal which a mistborn eats, giving them a novel ability.

Or, we turn a piece of Edgli/Endowment into a spren (wait, that happened already:nightblood), but I mean turn it into a real spren, not a robot spren. Would there be a relationship/similarity between the surgebinding granted by that spren and an ability a mistborn would get from the god metal? 

Of all magic systems to hack, to get new Spren and surgebinding abilities, I think Seons are the way to go. They're already very similar, all you need to do is modify them a bit (somehow) so that they can grant surgebinding.

I know that We have very solid WoB on making other god metals. Do we have any WoB on sprenification of other shards?

Well, "spren" is kind of the Rosharan word for "splinter", except they behave in certain ways on Roshar. So a Rosharan native who studied Seons on Sel would probably already call them a variety of spren. Whether they would give any new Surges if they went to Roshar... It's possible. You might not even need to do any "hacking".

Any bond to a splinter such as a spren or seon on Roshar will give the bonded entity some enhancements or abilities. What those are depends on the spren/seon bonded. So someone bonded to a seon might gain surgebinding powers, or they might get something different, like improved physical strength. 

27 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Any bond to a splinter such as a spren or seon on Roshar will give the bonded entity some enhancements or abilities. What those are depends on the spren/seon bonded. So someone bonded to a seon might gain surgebinding powers, or they might get something different, like improved physical strength. 

Yes I thing something Selish related as the ability to share Stormlight with the Seon/Skaze to activate their Symbols.

I talk under the assumption that the ability to drawn in Stormlight is some basic ability gained with a Bond of every type (but it is just a theory)

Edited by Yata

3 hours ago, yulerule said:

Or, we turn a piece of Edgli/Endowment into a spren (wait, that happened already:nightblood), but I mean turn it into a real spren, not a robot spren. Would there be a relationship/similarity between the surgebinding granted by that spren and an ability a mistborn would get from the god metal?

Not got anything pertinent to add to this discussion, just wanted to say I wouldn't define Nightblood as a robot spren, considering she has her own personality, wants, desires etc, many of which are counterintuitive to the original design of her creators... I'd call her more of a FrankenSpren ^_^

Edited by Rawrbert
I find the term FrankenSpren funny, okay? xD

1 minute ago, Rawrbert said:

Not got anything pertinent to add to this discussion, just wanted to say I wouldn't define Nightblood as a robot spren, considering she has her own personality, wants, desires etc, many of which are counterintuitive to the original design of her creators... I'd call her more of a FrankenSpren ^_^

Her?  Does Nightblood even have a gender?

3 hours ago, Rawrbert said:

It's Brandon who gave us the "robot spren" term, so...

And Nightblood has been usually refered to as he, where did you see "she"?

Seon on Roshar WoB:

OUTIS

If an Elantrian bonded to a Seon and traveled to Roshar, would that act as a Nahel bond?

BRANDON SANDERSON

It would act very very similarly, yes. But it would be like… it wouldn't necesarily do the exact same things. It would be treated the exact same way, but wouldn't grant the same powers.

5 hours ago, Thanatos said:

nvesture is investure in the end. Aka the spirit realm

The issue is less this, and more how humans get to access it on different worlds. Cases in point: on Roshar, Investiture in the form of Stormlight can be obtained by anyone with appropriate ability from the environment (where concentrations of it are found).  However, it does not hold permanently and leaks out. But on Nalthis it is the other way around. Breath is a long-term Investiture which persists in humans (and in Invested entities, in fact) without leakage. But there is no obtaining extra Investiture through environment (only voluntary transfers are allowed).

The WOB quoted above seems to suggest that in the specific case of Aonic people bonded to Seons travelling to Roshar, they will obtain the ability to access Stormlight and perhaps some ability to manipulate world - I agree with @Yata that being able to activate the Seon's Aon may be possible.  The key issue specifically with Selish manipulations of Investiture is that they are tied to Connection to a specific geographic area. In case of Aons, we know how this works - an Aon has to start off with a basic shape of Arelon. So, what does activating an Arelon-shaped Aon does on Roshar? Does one need to actually change the Aon to represent a shape, or, say, Alethkar, or Vedenar, or, I don't know, Azir?  

Still doesn't refute my point.

Shards in my opinion is not power per say. But access to investure/spirit realm.

The bigger the shard/splinter, the more access they have to investure.

A shard accesses so much investure the person ascends.

Think of it like a doorway, the bigger the door opening the greater the ability to access  investure.

Look at Vasher who now absorbs Stormlight. He just had to figure out how to do this. 

Aka, manipulated compatibility between shardic intents so he could access the investure on Roshar

Edited by Thanatos

Regarding nonleaky Breath and leaky Storm light, I started wondering. We know Vasher can convert one to the other. Is it possible to have both at once? Ex: Vasher becomes a radiant, needs Storm light to Surgebind. Can he take in Storm light, convert part of it to Breath, then use the rest as Storm light. 

Or, if say, Kaladin learns about Nalthis and stuff, Kal absorbs Storm light, converts it to Breath. Them when he needs to Surgebind, converts it back on an as-needed basis. So you can store huge amounts of "Storm light" without danger.

1 hour ago, yulerule said:

Regarding nonleaky Breath and leaky Storm light, I started wondering. We know Vasher can convert one to the other. Is it possible to have both at once? Ex: Vasher becomes a radiant, needs Storm light to Surgebind. Can he take in Storm light, convert part of it to Breath, then use the rest as Storm light. 

He didn't convert Stormlight into Breath, He simply feed of the Breath. What a Returned actually needs is Investiture to consume to stay alive, He may use almost whatever he has avaliable (On Scadrial he may sustain with the Mist, on Taldain probably simply be under the Sun will be enough, enter in a Perpendicularity will work too, ecc...)

On 12/20/2016 at 4:29 AM, yulerule said:

So I was thinking. We have it confirmed that with some hacking, we can get godmetals of any shard, and presumably, they will give interesting abilities. So a lot of the focus was on soreness and Tanavastium because we already see the solid form of that investiture. So what if we do it the other way around? If, with hacking we can "tune" other shards into Scadrials magic system, can we also tune it to Roshar's? That is, turn other pieces of other shards into spren. 

If so, and those spren give us novel surgebinding abilities, is there a theoretical relationship, or similarity from the powers you get.

Example, we get Edgli/Endowment and turn a piece of the investiture into a god-metal which a mistborn eats, giving them a novel ability.

Of all magic systems to hack, to get new Spren and surgebinding abilities, I think Seons are the way to go. They're already very similar, all you need to do is modify them a bit (somehow) so that they can grant surgebinding.

I know that We have very solid WoB on making other god metals. Do we have any WoB on sprenification of other shards?

I very much like the way this is going. I suspect this is precisely how magic systems work.

Mind you, hacking to get a god metal would be tricky. In my understanding, the only known way to get a new god metal is for a shard to invest on Scadrial.

• Chaos locked this topic