Pondering State of Sanderson 2016

1 minute ago, Pagerunner said:

Yeah, I go a little overboard sometimes. Sixth of the Dusk has been my favorite novella, and it still is. I view Brandon as a sci-fi writer working in a fantasy world, so I was pleased when he did actual sci-fi and was able to explore some common sci-fi themes in there. I've been restricting myself to only reading cosmere, so I haven't read Steelheart or Perfect State or most of his sci-fi. But the free short stories on his website, like Firstborn, have also been great. I'm really looking forward to when Brandon gets into the 'futuristic' cosmere, and maybe we get a short story compilation book like AU is primarily sci-fi. 

Ha, you didn't go overboard, I just made a mistake thanks for the correction! I, as of yet, haven't read AU, but look foward to it, my favorite part about it being the solar system charts. ( I love maps!) I have to be in the right mood for sci-fi or fantasy. I loved the Steelheart series and look forward to the sequel series Apocalypse Guard.

By the way, your theories are very interesting, I've wondered if you could shed some light on the shards. (Is it okay to ask that on this part of the forum, or should I go to a different part?)

2 hours ago, The Quiet One said:

Ha, you didn't go overboard, I just made a mistake thanks for the correction! I, as of yet, haven't read AU, but look foward to it, my favorite part about it being the solar system charts. ( I love maps!) I have to be in the right mood for sci-fi or fantasy. I loved the Steelheart series and look forward to the sequel series Apocalypse Guard.

By the way, your theories are very interesting, I've wondered if you could shed some light on the shards. (Is it okay to ask that on this part of the forum, or should I go to a different part?)

Well what do you want to know? The wiki contains most of our solid information, but there are lots of theories floating around the Cosmere boards.

17 minutes ago, The Quiet One said:

Ha, nice name! I wanted to know if the shards have opposites, I thought I saw they didn't have exact ones, but I wondered. (By opposites I mean like Ruin and Preservation.)

In other words would Odium's opposite be Honor, or would it be a shard with absolute love?

Thanks! Mistborn is still my favorite series.

You are correct, we have a WoB stating that not all shards have exact opposites like Preservation and Ruin. Those two were actually drawn together precisely because of their opposing natures. We'll probably see as more shards are revealed, but I'm inclined to believe that you could sort of invent opposing pairs with semantics. Devotion could be a nice opposite to Odium, but so could Honor like you said. 

12 minutes ago, Ironeyes said:

Thanks! Mistborn is still my favorite series.

You are correct, we have a WoB stating that not all shards have exact opposites like Preservation and Ruin. Those two were actually drawn together precisely because of their opposing natures. We'll probably see as more shards are revealed, but I'm inclined to believe that you could sort of invent opposing pairs with semantics. Devotion could be a nice opposite to Odium, but so could Honor like you said. 

Yeah mine too, seeing as I just started the Wax and Wayne series! The end of the original mistborn series actually answered a lot of questions about the shards.

The reason I came up with honor is because I looked up the antonyms of Odium... but I don't know cultivation could be an exact opposite of ruin and have an opposite in preservation too and ruin could be vice versa. (Your brain gets boggled by these questions...) Autonomies opposite is Dominion... Hmm maybe there's a list of these...

Honestly, I don't expect anything earth-shattering. I think the general plan for the next few years he posted last year (Apocalypse Guard, then Rithmatist 2, then Mistborn: The Lost Metal, then Stormlight 4) will still be his plan going forward, and the far off stuff like Nightblood, etc. will still be put in the future development category with no projected release dates.

Then again, it is Sanderson, so maybe he'll tease a mystery novella, or confirm White Sand vol. 2 for 2017.

Edited by HarryLime

On 12/17/2016 at 1:57 AM, FiveLate said:

Did he announce he was doing anouther Alcatraz after book 5?

Did you read all of book 5? Even the secret letter at the end? Pretty clear indication there is more to come in the series

for my money I think Defending Elysium is my favorite Sci-Fi of his

The outline he presented us last year was pretty comprehensive so I'm not expecting huge revelations this time but hey, if one happens I will not be the one to complain that we're getting more. So I'll be looking forward to it mainly for his commentary on the past year and if we're pleasantly surprised, so much the better..

17 hours ago, bleeder said:

"Oops. Just wrote a 100,000-word book by accident."

...again. :D

Just now, Weltall said:

The outline he presented us last year was pretty comprehensive so I'm not expecting huge revelations this time but hey, if one happens I will not be the one to complain that we're getting more. So I'll be looking forward to it mainly for his commentary on the past year and if we're pleasantly surprised, so much the better..

...again. :D

The afterword to Edgedancer was very amusing to me.

8 minutes ago, bleeder said:

It's one thirty AM for me, so I've spent all of my day so far wondering why I am not yet asleep.

I'm an hour behind you here in Minnesota. I work nights so sometimes my clock is a little bit skewed as to what day it technically is. The last two were posted on the 18th, so I had been assuming that it would be on the 18th again this year. 

So

• Elantris sequels - plural
  • I don't even know what Soulburner is!
  • No progress on Dark One :( 
  • Mizzy story might still happen!
  • Snapshot is Reckonverse!?
  • Silverlight novella sometime in the future!
  • Exclamation marks!

Things I found notable:

• A Threnody novel that's been planned since his unpublished days! That finally rounds out the old 36-book cosmere sequence. Although, people returning to the Evil-stricken continent does sound a lot more appealing than those who were originally fleeing it, since we've already seen the aftermath.
  • Silverlight novella. That could make a very nice tide-us-over e-book-only novella for 2017, and who knows, maybe include the missing Nalthis essay and map?
  • I guess Adamant isn't cosmere, if Brandon will bring in other authors.

But, I like how he has accepted that Stormlight books are 3-year endeavors, and that he doesn't want to slot too much in. A much more realistic State of the Sanderson, without too many changes from last year. Like I said earlier in this topic, we don't want to see his 5-year plan changing drastically on a year-to-year basis.

EDIT: @Argent, SotS2015 had two Elantris sequels in the plan, and he name-dropped Soulburner as a new setting he started developing. No story attached, just a 'very distinctive' world.

Edited by Pagerunner

"Dragonsteel

This story (the story of the shattering of Adonalsium, as told by Hoid) is next-to-last in my sequence of cosmere novels (though it’s first chronologically). So don’t expect it until Stormlight 10 is done.Status: A long way off. Though it might still beat that one book by that other author."

So is referencing George R.R. Martin or Rothfuss? Its funny either way!

I assume he's not referencing anyone in particular, but just authors that write slowly in general, as he knows/has worked with both of those authors in the past. Silverlight novella is exciting, but I'm incredibly excited for this probably Threnody book. The second idea, where an expedition is sent back to the old continent is the story I've been wanting to hear since I first read Shadows for Silence. Hey Nightblood fans, take heart! From this it sounds like although Nightblood isn't close, we'll see it before we see the modern Mistborn trilogy. It is pretty cool to see that Brandon is going to start to complete the main stories that he originally wanted to tell on some of these planets (at least for now).

The idea of a Silverlight novella (or two or more) to tide over ravenous Cosmere hungers is an attractive one!

I knew Dynamite would storm things up with regards to releasing White Sand installments. They can still prove me wrong, but they got a reputation (and this State didn't really contradict that reputation).

The rest of it seems to be intent on lowering expectations, due in large part to what we got last year and the frustration of and optimistic Stormlight release schedule.