Excerpt from Words of Radiance: Chapters Ten, Twelve, Fourteen and Interlude 1

Michael Portz

There is no mention of a flash when Sadeas took up Oathbringer.

If I recall, that chapter is told from Kaladin's POV. Maybe he was too far away to see the flash, or didn't remark on it because it was not significant compared to everything else?

Could be. The fact that Dalinar didn't recognize it is super weird, though. Particularly if they're in Kholinar; the same mural should be on the ceiling of his palace.

You're probably right. Although, it has been thousands of years of Kholinar changing hands between leaders who may have painted over it. I can't keep the same desktop background for more than a couple weeks :P

If I recall, that chapter is told from Kaladin's POV. Maybe he was too far away to see the flash, or didn't remark on it because it was not significant compared to everything else?

I haven't figured it out yet.  I find it very curious and rather conspicuous.  If the gemstones were there only as decoration, then why would they flash?  If the gemstone is there as an integral part of the blade, how can it be removed and then crushed and the blade apparently remain just fine?  Further, how come there was no flash when Sadeas took up Oathbringer?  Every explanation I come up with sounds contrived. 

I just went back and reread that chapter to see if Dalinar did anything unusual that might have been him breaking the bond (no, he didn't) and HOLY S--- THAT IS THE MOST AMAZING SPECTACULAR EMOTIONAL ROLLERCOASTER OF A CHAPTER EVER!!!11OMFG AHHH!

Sorry, but I had forgotten just how much awesomeness and badassery happens in that one. Wow.

Agreed, when I u read this book the first time I started crying when he gave up the blade. It was glorious.

I haven't figured it out yet.  I find it very curious and rather conspicuous.  If the gemstones were there only as decoration, then why would they flash?  If the gemstone is there as an integral part of the blade, how can it be removed and then crushed and the blade apparently remain just fine?  Further, how come there was no flash when Sadeas took up Oathbringer?  Every explanation I come up with sounds contrived. 

It could just be a matter of pacing in the chapter.  It was the climax of the book, BS or his editors may have thought it flowed better and had more impact without extraneous lines.  

Or he may have thought of this particular effect after WoK was published.  It would be nearly impossible to fully realize the physics and mechanics of a world before you write the first book.  I'm sure things are going to evolve between books.  We just look waaaaaaaaaaay too closely :)

I was wondering about that too. In fact, I had a reply half written down, but couldn't make anything coherent out of it, so I dropped it. My best guess is that Shardblades were designed with a slot that could be optionally filled with a gem (of maybe certain characteristics) - and Oathbringer simply didn't have it. This gem could have served a number of different reasons - ornamentation, source of emergency Stormlight, some kind of a battery for the Blade, or simply an LED indicator that tells you when a Blade changes ownership. 

My best guess, though? An oversight by either Brandon or Kaladin. 

I don't think it's an oversight by Brandon. Kalidin saw the gem flash when Sadeas took his blade, right? It's definitely conspicous in it's abscence with Oathbringer.

Which is why I think it might be an honorblade or the third type of blade. Then again, people would probably notice if normal shardblades have gems and Oathbringer doesn't...

I just reread that particular scene. The way things developed, Kaladin (who is the viewpoint character there) wouldn't have had a very chance of noticing a flashing gem, even if there was one. Dalinar summons his Blade, drives it in the ground in front of him, exchanges about five sentences with Sadeas, then turns around and hurries everyone away from the camp. We don't really know when exactly he forfeits ownership of Oathbringer - but if it's any time after he turns around, chances are that Kaladin wouldn't have noticed the flash as Dalinar immediately engages him in a conversation. 

On top of all this, the flash could be unnecessary in the first place - just something duelists do, to show the crowd that they have really given up their Shard and not just lent it temporarily.

Possible explanation: a Shardblade bonding with someone releases a short puff of Investiture. Any gems nearby would naturally flash because of it. We do know that gems are not required to power a Blade, which makes me believe they're entirely ornamental.

It could just be a matter of pacing in the chapter.  It was the climax of the book, BS or his editors may have thought it flowed better and had more impact without extraneous lines.  

Or he may have thought of this particular effect after WoK was published.  It would be nearly impossible to fully realize the physics and mechanics of a world before you write the first book.  I'm sure things are going to evolve between books.  We just look waaaaaaaaaaay too closely :)

Scott, I am not sure since there was a mention of gem flashing when Amaram picks up the shardblade he stole.

I don't think it's an oversight by Brandon. Kalidin saw the gem flash when Sadeas took his blade, right? It's definitely conspicous in it's abscence with Oathbringer.

Shardbearer, I take it you meant Amaram and not Sadeas ... sorry, just wanted to make sure I did not miss anything.

Well. I finally got around to listen Feather's... thing. A few points of interest (because we now do reactions to reactions):

• I appear to have developed a voice crush. Which is apparently a thing. Though, being a objective and logical scientist I am, this could be due to the fact that said voice is emotionally reacting on Words of Radiance and that's pushing all sorts of buttons in my brain.
  • Feather, Y U pronounce Renarin's name wrong? You of all people?
  • I am glad my work allows me to grin a lot without being looked at strangely. 

On an unrelated note, listeners feels wrong for the name of the Parshendi. I mean, I get why it should feel right - they all listen to their songs and all that, but I that sounds like a weird thing to do, define oneself as the subject of an action, rather than the object. If anything, I'd go with singers or maybe speakers, not listeners. Listeners feels more like there was a time when all they did was listen (and obey) - to their gods maybe. 

Also, if this turns out to be even remotely on the right track, I am going to talk about my powers of intuition for ages to come!

On an unrelated note, listeners feels wrong for the name of the Parshendi. I mean, I get why it should feel right - they all listen to their songs and all that, but I that sounds like a weird thing to do, define oneself as the subject of an action, rather than the object. If anything, I'd go with singers or maybe speakers, not listeners. Listeners feels more like there was a time when all they did was listen (and obey) - to their gods maybe. 

Also, if this turns out to be even remotely on the right track, I am going to talk about my powers of intuition for ages to come!

I think you are on to something. The way Eshonai describes attuning to the different songs make the songs sound like something outside of the Parshendi, not created by the Parshendi. They attune themselves to mourning, or rage, or whatever and these songs are an expression of the fundamental essence of those concepts. Probably have something to do with the cognitive realm.

I'd agree with you, but she attunes to Rhythms, not songs, and I feel this is an important distinction. The way I imagine the Parshendi talking, there are two big aspects to their speech: content and rhythm. The content, the words, is just information dump. The rhythm is what I think provides the equivalent to emotion and subtleties of speech. In other words, the words are just words, while the Rhythm provides the context. So I can attune to the Rhythm of Mourning and then everything I say will sound sad; or I could attuned to the Rhythm of Irritation, and then everything I say would convey my annoyance at whatever I am talking about. 

Side note that this reminded me of...I typically consider the pronunciation of a name in the audio book version to be the "right" way.  So sometimes when a series changes pronunciation between books it drives me up the wall! 

In this case, the pronunciations in the first audiobook are pretty much right, and the pronunciations in the second audiobook will be even more right.

Renarin's name is emphasized on the second syllable.

Adolin is emphasized on the first syllable, which is a "long" A.

However, Brandon also says people can pronounce the names however they like.

Edited by PeterAhlstrom

I was not being too serious in my comments. But I was going off from how Brandon says things - Renarin's name specifically is one that came up during one of the Chicago Steelheart signings. Given Feather's... mild obsession, I would've expected her to be OCD about getting it "as right" as possible.

Gah, I hate it when I jokingly make fun of people and then have to explain myself. It makes me look like a colossal raging dork.

I was not being too serious in my comments. But I was going off from how Brandon says things - Renarin's name specifically is one that came up during one of the Chicago Steelheart signings. Given Feather's... mild obsession, I would've expected her to be OCD about getting it "as right" as possible.

Gah, I hate it when I jokingly make fun of people and then have to explain myself. It makes me look like a colossal raging dork.

"mild obsession" a very cute way of put it =)

I ansious for the next batch of chapter, suprise whatever, because Lady Feather will do it another reaction and she is veryyyy funny with her "mild obsession" =) (and have a cute voice)

I'd agree with you, but she attunes to Rhythms, not songs, and I feel this is an important distinction. The way I imagine the Parshendi talking, there are two big aspects to their speech: content and rhythm. The content, the words, is just information dump. The rhythm is what I think provides the equivalent to emotion and subtleties of speech. In other words, the words are just words, while the Rhythm provides the context. So I can attune to the Rhythm of Mourning and then everything I say will sound sad; or I could attuned to the Rhythm of Irritation, and then everything I say would convey my annoyance at whatever I am talking about. 

That's an interesting way of thinking about it.  It reminds me of "hand talk" from Kingkiller Chronicles.

• I appear to have developed a voice crush. Which is apparently a thing. Though, being a objective and logical scientist I am, this could be due to the fact that said voice is emotionally reacting on Words of Radiance and that's pushing all sorts of buttons in my brain.

I am glad to know that I am not the only one! :P 

Seriously, though, I hope I do not come off as creepy saying this, but Feather really has a beautiful voice!

Well. I finally got around to listen Feather's... thing. A few points of interest (because we now do reactions to reactions):

• I appear to have developed a voice crush. Which is apparently a thing. Though, being a objective and logical scientist I am, this could be due to the fact that said voice is emotionally reacting on Words of Radiance and that's pushing all sorts of buttons in my brain.
  • I am glad my work allows me to grin a lot without being looked at strangely. 

Ah, a voice crush? I'm flattered! I'll say this, you will most likely be hearing more recordings from me in the future, since I've gotten such a good response from them here!

In this case, the pronunciations in the first audiobook are pretty much right, and the pronunciations in the second audiobook will be even more right.

Renarin's name is emphasized on the second syllable.

Adolin is emphasized on the first syllable, which is a "long" A.

However, Brandon also says people can pronounce the names however they like.

*the heaviest of sighs* Welp, it seems I pronounce ALL of the Stormlight names wrong. Okay then. I've managed to change Shallan and Jasnah's pronunciations, I can do the same with Renarin and Adolin as well. So, just so that i can get things straight it would be: [ɹɜnˈaɹɪn] and [ˈeɪdolɪn], not [ˈɹɪnʌɹɪn] and [ˈædolɪn]. 'Kay, I think I've got it now. I'll have to practice those. 

Hmm... I suppose this means I'll have to stop saying "SHAH-luh-rin" and use "shuh-LAH-rin" instead... So, [ʃʌˈlɑɹɪn] instead of [ˈʃɑlʌɹɪn]. 

"mild obsession" a very cute way of put it =)

I ansious for the next batch of chapter, suprise whatever, because Lady Feather will do it another reaction and she is veryyyy funny with her "mild obsession" =) (and have a cute voice)

"Miiiiild" obsession. Very mild. I don't even know what the poor boy's name is, it seems. (And now I'm blushing from all these compliments.)

I am glad to know that I am not the only one! :P

Seriously, though, I hope I do not come off as creepy saying this, but Feather really has a beautiful voice!

Aaaah you guys are all so nice. I'm wondering now if that lullaby that Shallan's father sings to her has a melody... I kinda want to try singing it now.