Proof that adolin has already partially revived his sword?

king of nowhere

4 hours ago, Kaladin Zahel said:

I just stumbled on this thread via google and realize this is probably going to be a wasted response.

Im doing my 3rd reading of SA and taking notes at things that interest me. I stumbled upon the oddity with Adolin's Shardblade(SB) and that's how I wound up her.

I too believe Adolin has already begun reviving his Shardblade as well as producing a limited Nahel bond with it. There is am interesting scene in WoR where Adolin is practicing throwing his SB. He fails to do it correctly until 2 things occur. One, he remembers Zahel's instruction of "picturing what he needed it to do" - oddly reminiscent of awakening. And two, "Adolin let out the breath he had been holding" which is very reminiscent to Shallan's and Kaladin's experience when subconsciously using Stormlight.

It is never a wasted response as a lot of people have had (and still has) interest into anything revolving around Adolin, myself the first. So first of, hi, welcome to the Shard and thank you for showing interest into this topic.

Now, Adolin's Shardblade... The scene you are referring to has been analysed and talked about, mostly into very old threads. It ran out of fashion probably due to a lack of additional information and the impossibility to draft a valid conclusion. I will however summarize what my own thoughts are on the subject as I had wondered about the ramifications of Adolin throwing his Blade.

What stuck to me, in this scene wasn't so much the breathing, but the fact Adolin struggled at controlling his Blade. To make it short, I sincerely doubt (and am mostly certain) Adolin isn't drawing stormlight nor is the breathing syntax meant to indicate he is. People have asked about another instance of misleading grammar, the segment where something snaps inside Adolin which some thought might mean magic ability as the wording was very reminiscent of the one used in similar circumstances. The answer was no, nothing happened and the worst snap merely meant snap, nothing else. Thus, I do feel it is highly likely the word "breath" is meant to highlight burgeoning surgebinding abilities, but I do think it means Adolin, in this very moment, just relaxed. He is completely stressed out in this scene and, as a result, he couldn't command his Blade as usual. The breathing just means he is letting go of the pressure to focus on the moment which allows him to complete the command.

Is it relevant? No and yes, maybe. 

We have several examples of Shardbearers dropping their Shardblades and forcing them to remain in their physical shape: Dalinar and Amaram lent their Blades, Renarin drops his at two occasions and it remains solid. I have always found it odd Alethkar most talented Shardbearer, a young man everyone claims is nothing short of a prodigy with a Blade, a young man who trains for hours every day to hone his skills would suddenly struggle with a command everyone else, including his barely trained brother seem to manage to effortlessly. Sure, at the time Adolin hadn't sleep at all, he was drugged with some root he took to prevent himself from falling asleep, he was injured, he did hit his head hours before and he is completely stressed out, but then again, we could argue this is probably nothing compared to Renarin hearing his Blade screaming at him. So why can't Adolin throw his Blade?

The most probable answer is just... intense stress. It does however raise the question as to how capable Adolin will turn out being fighting in the Desolation is one encounter with Szeth unsettles him enough he fails at controlling his own Shardblade. 

Another answer would be the more Adolin will get unhinged, the closer he is going to get to his breaking point, then the more his bond with his Blade will deepen. It might be he will struggle more and more with his Blade, losing contact, losing the ability to control it as he goes through the process of reviving it, but this remains pure speculation. My thoughts are he is just terribly stressed out in this scene and it is only when he relaxes he can throw the Blade. I love this scene because it highlights how much trouble Adolin has navigating throw massive changes, to unexpected events and to circumstances where he feels powerless. It shows just how stressed out he can get when his father is threatened and this does give us insight into what happens later. 

I thus do not think Adolin has revived his Blade yet, even partially, but I do think as he goes throw the process, we are going to see him fail at controlling his Blade more and more.

Thank you both for responding. I was worried that the age of the post would bury any opportunity of discourse.

While I agree with the context of Adolin being stressed out, I do feel like this is very in line with Shallan's and Kaladin's ignorant/natural use of stormlight when they needed it. 

It just seems too coincidental in wording his success that way if there wasn't something extra going on.

Also, when Shallan meets Dalinar it is obvious he is still beaten up, but the only reference to Adolin is his 'wounded leg'. Landing on his shoulder should have been noticeable if it had not healed sooner than anticipated. 

I'm sure I'm just being hopeful as I enjoy out of the ordinary storytelling.

14 hours ago, Kaladin Zahel said:

Thank you both for responding. I was worried that the age of the post would bury any opportunity of discourse.

While I agree with the context of Adolin being stressed out, I do feel like this is very in line with Shallan's and Kaladin's ignorant/natural use of stormlight when they needed it. 

It just seems too coincidental in wording his success that way if there wasn't something extra going on.

Also, when Shallan meets Dalinar it is obvious he is still beaten up, but the only reference to Adolin is his 'wounded leg'. Landing on his shoulder should have been noticeable if it had not healed sooner than anticipated. 

I'm sure I'm just being hopeful as I enjoy out of the ordinary storytelling.

The Adolin will revive his Shardblade discussion used to be fairly popular, but it has run out of fashion lately. It lost most of its traction, but it doesn't mean we won't get to read it. It just means either frequent and new posters alike do not have much to add on the subject or they just don't support it anymore based on the planning of SA3 which was a massive bummer for the Adolin fans.

It is good you are raising Adolin's injuries as this has been bothering me as well. He gets seriously injured on a few occasions: the Tower fight left him completely drained out (practically unconscious if we are to trust Kaladin's words for it), the first encounter with Szeth bruised him badly over the shoulder, the leg not to forget he hit his head pretty hard. He was half-conscious for a while and he complained of a headache on the following morning which are clear cut signs of a head concussion. However, later on, Adolin's injuries do not seem to matter anymore as if they... disappeared or at least, healed very fast.

At the time, I had thought Brandon, just like most authors merely ignored the fact he injured the character, choosing to downplay how the injuries would have realistically impact him because huh injured characters are boring (which isn't true, I personally love tropes involving injured characters). While it could be Adolin is indeed secretly surgebinding, I honestly doubt he is. Adolin is an unlikely Radiant to begin with, reviving a Blade is nearly impossible, it seems far-fetched to think he might have done it well enough to gain access to surgebinding. It is way too early.

What is happening then? Well, recently however something I never thought of popped into my mind. I started wondering more about the Truthwatchers and I noticed each known one had one thing in common: they secretly worked towards providing small goods to people around them, they were unconsciously healing others.... which made me wonder about Renarin. How did it fit into all this? What small good is he secretly doing, unknown to all?

My new theory is Renarin has been secretly healing his brother. In shorts, he's been feeding stormlight to Adolin since WoK, helping him recover faster from his injuries. Since his bond isn't advanced, it is slow going and it goes by completely unnoticed, but it does explain how Adolin is able to keep up despite being bruised all over and hit on the head on a frequent manner. I also noticed how, each time they are together, Renarin initiates physical contact with Adolin... I never thought much of it until I realized it was a very peculiar behavior for an autistic individual. Aren't autistic individuals having trouble with touching people and physical contact in general? So how do we explain Renarin's behavior? He's doing it on purpose. He may not understand how and why, but he added one and one together: he touches his brother because it allows him to use regrowth on him.

So while I do think there is something about Adolin never being impacted by his injuries for a lasting period of time (except at the end of WoR where he is much more battered and Renarin is likely not around to provide him the healing he needs), but I do not think it is Adolin doing it.

I don't know if we'll see anyone revive their Shardblade but if it does happen it wouldn't surprise me if it takes a long time. To form a normal spren bond takes months normally. If reviving a Shardblade is a similar process but much much harder then it could take a lot longer - like well over a year.

3 hours ago, kari-no-sugata said:

I don't know if we'll see anyone revive their Shardblade but if it does happen it wouldn't surprise me if it takes a long time. To form a normal spren bond takes months normally. If reviving a Shardblade is a similar process but much much harder then it could take a lot longer - like well over a year.

Well, we do know there will be a year gap in between book 3 and book 4. I do not know what to make of it, yet.

5 hours ago, thegatorgirl00 said:

Where is this information from? Not that I doubt you, this is just the first I've heard of it. 

For ease of reference:

mistborn

/r/Fantasy Best of 2015 Winner, AMA Author Brandon Sanderson
1d

1) Having not read those books, I can't say 100%--but the original plan was to do it this way, and Book Three continues the trend. Shallan/Dalinar/Kaladin will continue to be very important, but I might pull back on side characters. We'll see.

2) This is the biggest challenge in writing epic fantasy. For me, I divided the series into two halfs (books 1-5 and books 6-10) with a focus on some characters for the first half, some for the second. But also, I do plan for certain characters to step back a little in other books. It's a balance I'm still juggling.

3) Plan is for book four to take place a year after book three, so there will be some smaller timeskips too--but the biggest is between five and six.

4) Yes, many of them will--and will still be important

Source

• Chaos locked this topic