2 hours ago, cometaryorbit said:

I think Talenel is his real name. Talenelat is an altered version that the Vorin religion uses because they find symmetry holy. Same for Jezrien -> Jezerezeh, Nale/Nin -> Nalan, Ishar -> Ishi, etc.

The 'Elin seems to be a title, I think.

Fortunately, I confirmed this for you some time ago :)

QUESTION

Can you confirm the real names of the Heralds for me?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Jezrien, Nale, Chanarach (nickname: Chana), Vedel, Paliah (nickname: Pali), Shalash (nickname: Ash), Battar, Kalak, Talenel (nickname: Taln), Ishar

Source

On 10/6/2016 at 3:15 PM, Ardjet said:

I was actually JUST about to post something to that effect, Argent. The way he's described, I always associated it with Shardblades and how they're wet with condensation after summoning. I believe the same type of thing happened to Taln. He was made to appear somewhere (perhaps in a fashion similar to Elsecalling?) and the transition left him covered in condensation, as does a Shardblade when summoned.

I doubt it was similar to Elsecalling. When we see Jasnah appear, it is in a swirl of light and without condensation (or at least none is mentioned). However shardblades (and possibly Taln) appear, it is different from the way an Elsecaller steps from Cognitive to Physical. M:SH Spoiler:

Spoiler

Which seems, in appearance,  much more like a portable version of the Wells as seen in Mistborn: Secret History when Wit Hoid uses the well to get at the cavern.

He walked toward the middle of the pool. Kelsier watched through eyes quivering with pain as Drifter held his hands out to the sides and closed his eyes. He stepped into the center of the pool, the deep portion, and vanished into the light.

The air in front of him blurred, as if heated in a ring near the ground. A streak of light spun about the ring, forming a wall five or six feet high. It faded immediately—really, it was just an afterimage, as if something glowing had spun in the circle very quickly.

In the center of it appeared Jasnah Kholin, standing tall.

Her clothing was ragged, her hair formed into a single utilitarian braid, her face lashed with burns. She’d once worn a fine dress, but that was tattered. She’d hemmed it at the knees and had sewn herself a glove out of something improvised. Curiously, she wore a kind of leather bandolier and a backpack. He doubted she’d had either one when her journey had begun.

The description implies heat and light. If heat/light is a consistent theme of transition from Cognitive to physical, is it possible that mist/frost is transition from Spiritual to Physical?

1 hour ago, Treamayne said:

The description implies heat and light. If heat/light is a consistent theme of transition from Cognitive to physical, is it possible that mist/frost is transition from Spiritual to Physical?

This is a really astute observation. Is using an excess amount of Stormlight considered a transition from the Spiritual to the Physical, however?

6 minutes ago, Tariniel said:

This is a really astute observation. Is using an excess amount of Stormlight considered a transition from the Spiritual to the Physical, however?

Brandon has said that Kaladin has glimpsed the Cognitive Realm at one point, so it is definitely possible to slightly cross the Realms with large usage of power. I don't know about viewing the Spiritual though..

Using Atium is a glimpse into the Spiritual Realm. (Might be a special case because God Metal) The Metallic Arts also don't make a frost/burn/light, so maybe not the best example anyways.

2 hours ago, Tariniel said:

Frost from surgebinding doesn't have to be the KR transitioning; it could simply be the Spiritual power of stormlight. In my mind, the effect is so small, though, that it would take excessive amounts of stormlight being used for frost to form (which is pretty much what happens). If this is the case couldn't the "misting" off of stormlight from a KR's skin just be the physical manifestation of stormlight returning to Spirtual?

4 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

Brandon has said that Kaladin has glimpsed the Cognitive Realm at one point, so it is definitely possible to slightly cross the Realms with large usage of power. I don't know about viewing the Spiritual though..

I think the scene is pretty well described in WoR.

On 14/10/2016 at 5:54 PM, marianmi said:

I think the scene is pretty well described in WoR.

Indeed. If I recall, it's when Kaladin first consciously uses Gravitation to do a Basic Lashing in the chasms. He mentions something about being able to see a strange sky, almost glimpsing something, and then he changes gravity's pull.

4 hours ago, Ardjet said:

Indeed. If I recall, it's when Kaladin first consciously uses Gravitation to do a Basic Lashing in the chasms. He mentions something about being able to see a strange sky, almost glimpsing something, and then he changes gravity's pull.

Also in WoR around the time fighting Szeth, he sees "the familiar strange sun" or something along those lines.

“The voice faded. For a moment, Kaladin thought he saw shadows of a world that was not, shadows of another place. And in that place, a distant sky with a sun enclosed, almost as if by a corridor of clouds.”

Excerpt From: Sanderson, Brandon. “Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive, The).” iBooks. Page 926

This is all the description we get the first time Kaladin changes gravity. @marianmi, I just looked through Kaladin's fight with Szeth at the end of WoR and didn't see any mentions of the Cognitive Realm or the strange sun. 

2 hours ago, BeskarKomrk said:

This is all the description we get the first time Kaladin changes gravity. @marianmi, I just looked through Kaladin's fight with Szeth at the end of WoR and didn't see any mentions of the Cognitive Realm or the strange sun. 

that must be the one then :) thanks for looking

Edited by marianmi

• 4 months later...

Interestingly, Sanderson confirms that Taln is the guy at the end of WoK many times (http://www.theoryland.com/intvsresults.php?kwt='taln'). Although the same link has quotes of Brandon playing games about his identity, he seems pretty blunt about it in other quotes. My vote is that it's simply taln 

Edited by joesleepsalot

3 hours ago, joesleepsalot said:

Interestingly, Sanderson confirms that Taln is the guy at the end of WoK many times (http://www.theoryland.com/intvsresults.php?kwt='taln'). Although the same link has quotes of Brandon playing games about his identity, he seems pretty blunt about it in other quotes. My vote is that it's simply taln 

Yes, Brandon talks about Taln... the thing is, he didn't confirm anything about Taln, we don't know whether he is who he claims to be etc. Brandon is especially evasive around this topic.

I suspect, that it really is Taln, but his 4,500 years fighting Odium has literally burned away his Identity. He is the Herald equivalent of an unkeyed metalmind. 

Hoid certainly seemed to think it was the same person, and that counts more than what Brandon says, in a manner of speaking. 

But if his identity is burned away, what does that mean will happen to him? If you can't get Identity back, does that mean he is still a Herald? 

Or does that mean he can bond any of the spren?

• 2 weeks later...

I reread the taln chapter just now.... I'm pretty convinced it's actually him, but his mind is trapped in torment still. (I think it was mentioned above) I'd equate it to someone in a coma. Perhaps he will snap out of it if the other 9 heralds come apologize for leaving him hangin lol. Any predictions on how that concersation is gonna go? He'll probably try to kill them all

@joesleepsalot Edgedancer spoiler

As of now, Nale is both fully aware that he's not all right in the head and getting worse, plus that Ishar (the guy who told the other Heralds that Taln could uphold the Oathpact on his own) was wrong about at least one thing. If there's anyone in a position to try and make amends with Taln that we know of right now, it's him. Actually, his view of justice might even demand he make the attempt if there was some relevant law in force at the time of Aharietiam that criminalized what he did and establishes some form of punishment.

And yeah, I'm assuming that 'Taln' almost certainly is Taln and Brandon is being evasive because there's something specific he doesn't want to reveal yet. Kind of like how there's no particular reason to think that Renarin isn't a Truthwatcher other than Brandon not explicitly confirming it. Unless you count the pocket companion which... actually did if you take it at face value. xD

I think something may have gone wrong with Taln's rebirth (we know Heralds are reborn when killed and they're a variety of Cognitive Shadows). Something in the usual process of "Heralds coming back" stormed up. And it should have been Taln but it is not quite Taln.

16 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

I think something may have gone wrong with Taln's rebirth (we know Heralds are reborn when killed and they're a variety of Cognitive Shadows). Something in the usual process of "Heralds coming back" stormed up. And it should have been Taln but it is not quite Taln.

This is the first rebirth after Honor was shattered. Maybe Tanavast facilitated the process somehow, and without that intervention Taln is... broken. 

23 minutes ago, Calderis said:

This is the first rebirth after Honor was shattered. Maybe Tanavast facilitated the process somehow, and without that intervention Taln is... broken. 

Ooo true true. Didn't think about this one probably being the first rebirth without honor. That could be a pretty important point

9 hours ago, Oversleep said:

Seriously, good point... perhaps the twist-to-the-twist is that the Heralds' abandonment of their oaths actually works in the long run because they didn't reappear like "taln" in as bad of shape as he's in?? They're getting worse but maybe (assuming they all rejoin the cause) they'll put their mental capacities and intact memories to better use than they could have otherwise. 

THEORY: Taln is a title like "Herald of War".  Different people assume the title in each desolation, if the old herald cannot return.  Hence, all heralds have multiple names, e.g. Taln, Talenat'Elin, Naal, Nale, Nin, et al.  It's not the same herald, but more like James 1, James 2 and so forth.  Also, there is foreshadowing before the man calling himself "Taln" appears at the end of WoK.  

Hoid talks about the importance of coming first and how "his friend" is too late.  Too late for what?  You have to ask that.  

And my theory is that the man calling himself "Taln" is the second person to claim the title of "Taln".  He may  or may not have been the original "Taln" who was fulfilling the oathpact, but when he returned, he was the second person to call himself "Taln" and therefore not Taln, but just a man who called himself so.

what do you guys think?

The Heralds are always themself. 10 Cognitive Shadows Who gain a physical manifestation periodically. For example the Herald Shalash is the actual daugher of the Herald Jezrien....No title, they are actual the same people over the eons

Taln is a real proper name, as Nale too.

Simply the Vorinism changed their actual name to fit their simmetry standards.