Roshar was "Grown by Adonalsium"

Argent

And interesting bit of information came out of a recent Reddit conversation. Take a look, I'll just do a poor job summarizing it anyway.

(regarding Roshar's shape resembling a storm)

Brandon: I was searching for something that at once felt organic, but would hint at a pattern. (Much like cymatic patterns, as referenced in the first book.) Fractals and mathematical functions became my go-to place to hunt, as I like the blend of structure and spontaneity they can sometimes exhibit. The slice of the Julia Set was the one that stuck with me as feeling perfect for Roshar. As the continent was specifically grown by Adonalsium, you now know the seed that was used in-world to create it.
The fact that it looked like a swirling cloud is part of this all--but also part of the connection between natural patterns and the underlying math, which is a primary theme of the Stormlight books. So yes, it SHOULD look like a storm--but for deeper reasons than you might assume.

He then elaborated that "Roshar predates the shattering" (which we knew) and that "There are many things that are unique about Roshar, but it wasn't the only world created in this way."

Ooooohh! Very nice tidbit. I'm going to have to put some thought into those revelations. I really hope we get to see and experience some of Adonalsium, maybe in Dragonsteel. Good find!

Edit: I wonder what's hidden underneath all the stone/crem. WHY grow Roshar in such a pattern?

Edited by Ardjet

Awesome. Have an upvote for the courtesy shown to give this information to us here without us having to search it out as well. 

I love the care he gives each world. I love that math is very important here, because of what we see in the geography (continent, Dawncities, matched number of people and powers, and kingdoms.) It just makes it more fun to read because of the thoroughness in his planning. I wonder now is there is some mathmatical formula for the storms' frequency and path, the stormlight and recharge times for gems and larger creatures hearts? Would that be asking for way too much worldbuilding of an already awesome author?

14 minutes ago, 1stBondsmith said:

I wonder now is there is some mathmatical formula for the storms' frequency and path, the stormlight and recharge times for gems and larger creatures hearts? Would that be asking for way too much worldbuilding of an already awesome author?

Honestly, every time I tell myself "this is too much, there is no way Brandon outlined and researched this", Brandon shows up and proves me wrong. So these days I just assume he has outlined and worldbuilt everything.

On 9/29/2016 at 0:23 PM, Argent said:

As the continent was specifically grown by Adonalsium, you now know the seed that was used in-world to create it.

The "seed" is likely a reference to how to seed the algorithm to generate the same Julia set again. As a side note, the Mandelbrot set is supposed to contain the "seeds" to every Julia Set. So there could be some tie-in there, though there are no hints to that. I wonder what the people on Roshar would think if they figured this stuff out....

22 minutes ago, Argel said:

The "seed" is likely a reference to how to seed the algorithm to generate the same Julia set again. As a side note, the Mandelbrot set is supposed to contain the "seeds" to every Julia Set. So there could be some tie-in there, though there are no hints to that. I wonder what the people on Roshar would think if they figured this stuff out....

I really hope this is a plot point or something in Space Mistborn :D

• Chaos locked this topic