Size of Scadrial

Kal

As a geologist, geographer, and cartographer, I'm curious if there anyone has any clues as to the size of the planet Scadrial? The only hints I can think of would be the travel times between cities (which I don't know and haven't looked it up).

In terms of the actual planet, I don't know of much info. I'm sure someone made a list of travel times between cities, but I do have something useful to consider about those travel times. Source

One side effect of this is that all compasses point toward Luthadel. Since it’s been that way for a thousand years, no one finds it odd–in fact, it’s used as evidence of the Lord Ruler’s divinity. It also makes it mathematically very easy to pinpoint one’s exact location in the Final Empire using a combination of the compass reading and noon observations. Not that it’s easy to get lost in the Final Empire in the first place—the geographical area of the planet’s surface that the Final Empire covers is actually quite small.

Relevant Emphasis added.

We know that Scadrial is supposed to be pretty earth-like. We don't know exactly how, but presumably gravity is one of the similar things. So unless the planet has a vastly different chemical composition (possible, but probably not), it should be about the size of earth as well. Right now, only a small portion of it has humans though. Unless the Southerners have migrated to lots of other continents (if they exist), of course.

3 hours ago, Eki said:

We know that Scadrial is supposed to be pretty earth-like. We don't know exactly how, but presumably gravity is one of the similar things. So unless the planet has a vastly different chemical composition (possible, but probably not), it should be about the size of earth as well. Right now, only a small portion of it has humans though. Unless the Southerners have migrated to lots of other continents (if they exist), of course.

Knowing Sanderson there is a probably a plethora of different cultures and peoples that will come more into play in the third trilogy I imagine.

23 minutes ago, Rellar said:

Knowing Sanderson there is a probably a plethora of different cultures and peoples that will come more into play in the third trilogy I imagine.

Possibly. Don't forget though that when Rashek ascended and fiddled with the planet he rendered most of the world inhabitable, with the main exceptions being the area of the Final Empire and the South Pole. While it's likely that we will see some spread come Era 3, we already know that in Era 2 that not much is settled outside of the Elendel Basin, which means the only real source for spread at that point is from the Southern Continent. They have airships though so they may have spread a fair bit. Overall though, I doubt that we'll see any cultures radically different than that of the Basin or the South, since there just aren't enough seeds and not enough time for those shifts to occur. 

Edited by Spoolofwhool

Similar gravity to earth but given that Scadrial has different metal contents that might change its mass.
Still I'd say relatively close to earth sized, which is probably a better estimate than we could get by calculating rough distances between cities based on walking times, especially since those cities are only on one end of the planet.

On 9/28/2016 at 7:32 AM, Voidus said:

Similar gravity to earth but given that Scadrial has different metal contents that might change its mass.

Do we know that the planet in general has a different composition? The area of Luthadel is metal-rich, but the planet isn't necessarily. (Kelsier claims that's why TLR built Luthadel there, but given the whole "moving the Well" thing, I doubt that.)

Scadrial is an Earth analogue, so I'd think it's the same size as Earth.

Just asked on Twitter, I'll report back if I get an answer (first time asking on Twitter, and I tagged Brandon, Isaac, and Peter just in case :P).

Edit: got RAFO'd.

IMG_2064.PNG

I'm guessing this will be more relevant in the space-faring trilogy.

jW

Edited by Jondesu
Answered

• Chaos locked this topic