Food. Food. Food. And spreads

Darkness Ascendant

Ugh, right now I really feel like a curry.
A really nice one, not 'white people curry' or anything, the type that's really nice but probably really hard to find...
Butter chicken is nice, but I've heard thai-style green curries are also delicious...
Ugh, I'm so hungry.

36 minutes ago, A Budgie said:

A really nice one, not 'white people curry' or anything, the type that's really nice but probably really hard to find...
Butter chicken is nice, but I've heard thai-style green curries are also delicious...
Ugh, I'm so hungry.

Try some Nihari! It's my favourite, I'm not sure how hard it is to find since my mother makes all the Nihari I need. Be warned it is spicy though!

42 minutes ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

Try some Nihari! It's my favourite, I'm not sure how hard it is to find since my mother makes all the Nihari I need. Be warned it is spicy though!

I googled it and it sounds quite nice, although it does have quite a long cooking time. I'd never heard of it before now.

18 hours ago, A Budgie said:

Ugh, I'm so hungry.

I was really confused for a moment, because I forgot I was in the food topic, and I thought you were saying you felt like a curry, not like you felt like eating curry.

Also, I know curry is spicy, but that's about all I know about it. Can you educate me on the ways of the curry?

1 hour ago, StrikerEZ said:

I was really confused for a moment, because I forgot I was in the food topic, and I thought you were saying you felt like a curry, not like you felt like eating curry.

Also, I know curry is spicy, but that's about all I know about it. Can you educate me on the ways of the curry?

Yes, I am a curry.
Anyway, curry in the way we use the term is a variety of dishes. Most of them are meat and vegetables in a sauce-thing with rice, but beyond that there are lots of different types: green curry and red curry are the most common in restuarants, which can be quite spicy, and butter chicken, and lots of others.
Curry is considered an Indian dish, although there are also curries from Thailand and other places.

9 minutes ago, A Budgie said:

Yes, I am a curry.
Anyway, curry in the way we use the term is a variety of dishes. Most of them are meat and vegetables in a sauce-thing with rice, but beyond that there are lots of different types: green curry and red curry are the most common in restuarants, which can be quite spicy, and butter chicken, and lots of others.
Curry is considered an Indian dish, although there are also curries from Thailand and other places.

Oh, I didn't know that curry was multiple dishes; I thought it was a specific dish. Also, I was pretty sure I knew it was Indian, but I didn't wanna call it an Indian dish and it not actually be an Indian dish.

I would ask if you knew of any good restaurants to try it at, but you're Australian, right? I doubt there's many Australian restaurants that serve curry that are also in America.

20 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

Oh, I didn't know that curry was multiple dishes; I thought it was a specific dish. Also, I was pretty sure I knew it was Indian, but I didn't wanna call it an Indian dish and it not actually be an Indian dish.

I would ask if you knew of any good restaurants to try it at, but you're Australian, right? I doubt there's many Australian restaurants that serve curry that are also in America.

Well, when people say 'curry' they probably refer to a certain type.
Sometimes, they refer to 'white-people curry,' which is...not really proper curry. It has rasins in it.

Yeah, I doubt many restaurants cross countries.

3 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

There's a type of curry I enjoy that my dad introduced me to from Japan. It uses a box mix for the sauce that you can buy at most Asian import stores, and the mix comes in three different levels of spiciness. (I like the mild flavor because I have like zero tolerance for anything spicy, but there's also medium-hot and hot.) Other than the sauce, you put chopped onions, carrots, chicken, and potatoes in it, and then you can serve it with rice (or not, if you don't have a rice cooker or don't feel like going to the extra effort).

Here's a photo of the box:

Vermont Curry MedHot Cropped.png

But just FYI, if you have any food allergies, make sure and check the ingredient lists because I guarantee all three flavors contain foods you never would've thought would be in there. (Seriously, combinations like bananas, peanuts, honey, and cheese, all in the same flavor.)

42 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

Isn't curry just a spice? A yellow powder?

That's curry powder you're thinking of. 'Real' curry is made with a mixture of herbs/spices (exact ones probably vary), and curry powder is just a packaged form of it I think.

For the record, there are TONS of different curries. 

And they are delicious. 

Seriously, Japanese curries, Chinese curries (mmhmmm - apple curry at a bubble tea place), Thai curries, westernized curries and the ever famous Indian curries. 

I love them. 

(As long as I can handle the spice level). 

Probably the best part of living in the Vancouver area is just how many delicious ethnic and fusion restaurants there are. 

Bubble tea is a Taiwanese tea-based drink. 

Geneally, the tea is mixed with stuff (milk, fruit flavours, sweeteners/etc) and shaken. The shaking process leaves a film of bubbles on the top - hence the name bubble tea. Generally, something chewy is added as well (tapioca pearls are the most common, and imo the best, but grass or coconut jelly is also popular). 

It is almost always served cold. 

Basically, it's the most delicious iced tea you've ever had, done just right, with a whole bunch of awesome flavours as options and these delicious flavour absorbing pearls you chew on. 

It is amazing, and my description does not do it justice. 

(Note: this isn't a canned or bottled drink. It's made fresh every time. So good.)

Edited by Erunion
Forgot something!