It likes riddles, praps it does, does it?

21 hours ago, The True Survivor said:

I already knew this one. You forgot 'Arnold Schwarzenegger has a long one.'

The answer, of course, is a surname.

Alright, try this one...

100 perfect logicians are in a room. They can all see each other, but not themselves. They are not aloud to talk to one another. There is no way to cheat. They are told that at least one of them has their forehead painted blue. The lights are left on for a time, then they are turned off. When the lights are turned off, anyone who has realized they have a blue forehead must walk out. The lights are then turned on again, and the process repeats.
If they all have blue foreheads and infallible powers of logic, what will happen?
(There's actually two answers for this one, but one of them is sort of a trick answer.)

The half answer is that they will touch their forehead to feel for paint. You did say everyone was painted after all, and they aren't communicating with each other, just... scratching an itch. You didn't mention the possibility of orange paint.

Real answer: The first night nobody will leave. They can't be sure they aren't that one guy who isn't blue. Then the next night they will realize that since nobody left, and everyone they see has paint, they must as well. They will all leave at this point. That doesn't hold up under scrutiny, but is the best I can do.

Or wait, they would pair off. It is easy in pairs. If you see the other guy is blue, you don't go. When you see the other guy didn't leave, you know you are blue, and everyone leaves.

I got nothing on the pink blue brown one. I have a feeling the brown will be fecal matter.

And another riddle for everyone that is truly tough, but not impossible:

Ten men are to be executed. The executioner tells them they will be let go if they can guess if a hat he places on their head is red or black. There is no set ratio of black to red. When guessing, they are placed in a line that makes it so they are in a marching order. The person in back can see the others, and the person in front can see nobody. The only communication possible is the statement of red or black. They are allowed to plan and talk together before having the hats placed. How do you maximize the number of survivors?

22 minutes ago, Djarskublar said:

Ten men are to be executed. The executioner tells them they will be let go if they can guess if a hat he places on their head is red or black. There is no set ratio of black to red. When guessing, they are placed in a line that makes it so they are in a marching order. The person in back can see the others, and the person in front can see nobody. The only communication possible is the statement of red or black. They are allowed to plan and talk together before having the hats placed. How do you maximize the number of survivors?

The way I've heard this riddle set up is that the executioner starts at the back of the line, and moves forwards. In that case, if a person sees an odd number of red hats in front of him, he calls out red. If there's an even number of hats, he calls out black. Everyone in the line must adhere to this rule, and it'll guarantee the survival of all but the very first person to be executed (since he's the only person who won't have any communication about the color of his hat, and even then, it's a 50% chance).

1 hour ago, Djarskublar said:

The half answer is that they will touch their forehead to feel for paint. You did say everyone was painted after all, and they aren't communicating with each other, just... scratching an itch. You didn't mention the possibility of orange paint.

Real answer: The first night nobody will leave. They can't be sure they aren't that one guy who isn't blue. Then the next night they will realize that since nobody left, and everyone they see has paint, they must as well. They will all leave at this point. That doesn't hold up under scrutiny, but is the best I can do.

Or wait, they would pair off. It is easy in pairs. If you see the other guy is blue, you don't go. When you see the other guy didn't leave, you know you are blue, and everyone leaves.

I got nothing on the pink blue brown one. I have a feeling the brown will be fecal matter.

And another riddle for everyone that is truly tough, but not impossible:

You misunderstand. There is at least one guy who IS blue. All of these don't stand up under scrutiny.

You're still thinking along the wrong lines with pink blue brown.

On 4.10.2016 at 9:04 AM, The True Survivor said:

100 perfect logicians are in a room. They can all see each other, but not themselves. They are not aloud to talk to one another. There is no way to cheat. They are told that at least one of them has their forehead painted blue. The lights are left on for a time, then they are turned off. When the lights are turned off, anyone who has realized they have a blue forehead must walk out. The lights are then turned on again, and the process repeats.
If they all have blue foreheads and infallible powers of logic, what will happen?
(There's actually two answers for this one, but one of them is sort of a trick answer.)

1) Okay, suppose there is only one person painted. That person sees everyone else unpainted and walks out first night since the conclusion is they're the painted one.
2) Now, if you see only one painted logician and he doesn't walk out the first night ( look 1) ), it means you're painted too. You both walk out the second night.
3) If you see two painted logicians and they don't walk out the second night (look 2) ), it means you're painted too and all three of you walk out the third night.

This reasoning can be repeated for any number of painted logicians. So if all 100 of them are painted, they all walk out the 100th night.

What is the second answer?

28 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

1) Okay, suppose there is only one person painted. That person sees everyone else unpainted and walks out first night since the conclusion is they're the painted one.
2) Now, if you see only one painted logician and he doesn't walk out the first night ( look 1) ), it means you're painted too. You both walk out the second night.
3) If you see two painted logicians and they don't walk out the second night (look 2) ), it means you're painted too and all three of you walk out the third night.

This reasoning can be repeated for any number of painted logicians. So if all 100 of them are painted, they all walk out the 100th night.

What is the second answer?

Well done.

The other answer is that each person sees everyone else painted, and assumes that everyone would be painted, so they all walk out on the first night.

31 minutes ago, The True Survivor said:

The other answer is that each person sees everyone else painted, and assumes that everyone would be painted, so they all walk out on the first night.

That's a stretch :P

I actually solved that painted logicians puzzle a few years ago when me and my friends were doing riddles. Another one form those times:

A king has 1,000 barrels of wine stored in his cellar. Unfortunately the guards found an assassin that had snuck in last night and poisoned exactly one of the barrels. Even 1 drop of poisoned wine would be enough to kill a man, but the poison takes 30 days before becoming fatal, plus or minus a few hours. The poison is colorless, odorless, and victims show exactly 0 signs of being poisoned in the 30 days prior to dying. There is absolutely no way to detect the poison.

In 31 days time, there will be a grand feast in which the king will need as much of the wine as possible. He has 10 prisoners on which to test the wine. His first idea is to give each prisoner a drop from 100 barrels of wine, and then when 1 prisoner dies, throw out all 100 barrels of which the dead prisoner drank from. However his jester speaks up and explains a solution that will pinpoint exactly which barrel is poisoned using only the 10 prisoners.

What was the jester's Hoid's solution?

Edited by Oversleep

A king has 1,000 barrels of wine stored in his cellar. Unfortunately the guards found an assassin that had snuck in last night and poisoned exactly one of the barrels. Even 1 drop of poisoned wine would be enough to kill a man, but the poison takes 30 days before becoming fatal, plus or minus a few hours. The poison is colorless, odorless, and victims show exactly 0 signs of being poisoned in the 30 days prior to dying. There is absolutely no way to detect the poison.

In 31 days time, there will be a grand feast in which the king will need as much of the wine as possible. He has 10 prisoners on which to test the wine. His first idea is to give each prisoner a drop from 100 barrels of wine, and then when 1 prisoner dies, throw out all 100 barrels of which the dead prisoner drank from. However his jester speaks up and explains a solution that will pinpoint exactly which barrel is poisoned using only the 10 prisoners.

What was the jester's solution

Uh, I need to think about this for a while. I'll see what I can do.

Give every barrel unique ten bit binary number, then assign each prisoner to different bits. They taste all barrels where their bit is one. If they die, that means the poisoned barrel has a one in that position, and if they survive, that position has a zero. This will give you the binary number of the poisoned barrel.

Edited by Eki

B

On 04/10/2016 at 6:27 AM, Darkness Ascendant said:

Give us a chance precious, GIVE US A CHANCE!

Mountains.

Who can shave 20 times a day, and still have a beard?

A guy who's shaving everywhere other than his beard?

im so sorry. I'm so so tired. 

54 minutes ago, mattig89ch said:

Heres one,

I'm always hungry

I must always be fed

The finger I lick soon turns red

If anyone needs a hint, its a creature from the KotOR universe.

Well, isn't it fire? Always hungry, if it's not fed it dies, and if it licks your finger you get burned. 

Is fire the name of a creature in the KotOR universe? I haven't played KotOR in a while... 

(if I'm right I'll post a riddle. If I haven't posted one in time, someone else can go ahead)

Edited by Erunion

1 minute ago, mattig89ch said:

Fire could work as an answer.

I got that riddle from the original KotOR, and the answer in that game was a gizka.  Always hungry, always looking to eat, and licking your hand enough would cause blisters.

But fire could work too!

... were those the creatures that got on the ship? And hopped around all the time? 

Keeping to a nerdy theme:

'You cannot make me, break me or fake me, only change me. 

Without me you cannot walk, you cannot talk, you cannot see, and you could not be. 

What am I?' 

12 minutes ago, Erunion said:

'You cannot make me, break me or fake me, only change me. 

Without me you cannot walk, you cannot talk, you cannot see, and you could not be. 

What am I?' 

Is this from another game??  I reckon it might be....your central nervous system XD jk

hmm, gonna have to think about this a bit. some of my answers a tad bit contradictory