Marvel Cinematic Universe

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

So I'm going to see Doctor Strange in cinema. However, I have not seen Civil War. Is this a good idea? I mean, it doesn't seem like a movie with tons of continuity and references.

There were only small references to the MCU in this movie, and they were really only namedrops at that. You can see it without knowing what happened in Civil War 

15 minutes ago, Nightbird said:

understanding Doctor Strange is not dependent on having seen Civil War

I know this. My question is more like asking about cosmere books - they're independent of each other but everyone would tell you it's a good idea to read Warbreaker before Words of Radiance.

I liked catching the reference in Ant-Man about Avengers dropping cities out of the skies so I'm asking whether there is anything like that between Civil War and Doctor Strange.

So I went to see it last night. 

WOW

I guess I've got an idea of what taking acid is like:o Holy cow. Those were some great visuals. 

This is probably my favorite MCU movie. Probably because it's tone is much darker, while still keeping the classic marvel humor. Benedict Cumberbatch was fantastic as always. I did actually like the ancient one, although I do have to agree with the internet, there was no need to change the character to be Celtic. As an origin story, it was better than most. I don't want to spoil anything, but I do hope that maybe the ending means that in Strange 2 the MCU will finally have a compelling villain aside from Loki. 

The only Dr. Strange material I've consumed prior to this movie was an animated movie that was on netflix last year that was pretty great. So compared to that film, it felt true to what Dr. Strange is supposed to be. I'm not really sad that it didn't tie in too strongly to the MCU since it looks like Strange will be in Ragnarok( and I personally wouldn't be surprised if he made a tiny cameo in Guardians). The rest of the MCU is very Earth based, and I think it would be hard to tie Strange to the other films without also loosing some of it's cosmic qualities. 

This isn't something that normally bothers me, but as I was watching it...It does feel really odd that they made another movie with a white lead, changed an asian character to a celtic one, and there's another black sidekick. I really hope the Black Panther movie helps to balance it out, because I normally DON'T care about this but at this point it even feels off to me. 

15 hours ago, LeftVash said:

So I went to see it last night. 

WOW

I guess I've got an idea of what taking acid is like:o Holy cow. Those were some great visuals. 

This is probably my favorite MCU movie. Probably because it's tone is much darker, while still keeping the classic marvel humor. Benedict Cumberbatch was fantastic as always. I did actually like the ancient one, although I do have to agree with the internet, there was no need to change the character to be Celtic. As an origin story, it was better than most. I don't want to spoil anything, but I do hope that maybe the ending means that in Strange 2 the MCU will finally have a compelling villain aside from Loki. 

The only Dr. Strange material I've consumed prior to this movie was an animated movie that was on netflix last year that was pretty great. So compared to that film, it felt true to what Dr. Strange is supposed to be. I'm not really sad that it didn't tie in too strongly to the MCU since it looks like Strange will be in Ragnarok( and I personally wouldn't be surprised if he made a tiny cameo in Guardians). The rest of the MCU is very Earth based, and I think it would be hard to tie Strange to the other films without also loosing some of it's cosmic qualities. 

This isn't something that normally bothers me, but as I was watching it...It does feel really odd that they made another movie with a white lead, changed an asian character to a celtic one, and there's another black sidekick. I really hope the Black Panther movie helps to balance it out, because I normally DON'T care about this but at this point it even feels off to me. 

Yeah. I think it is hard sometimes because a lot of comic book characters are white guys, so the most straightforward adaptions can be stupidly white and male heavy and so the movies really don't need to be any more white. 

Then again, I think most of the roles were well acted.

49 minutes ago, Delightful said:

Random fact, dr strange is namedropped in winter soldier. 

I remember that. It got me more excited about it coming up.

Edit: Spoilers:

Spoiler

I wonder if Thanos and Dormammu will team up at all?

Edited by Jondesu

38 minutes ago, Quiver said:

Hide contents

That's why I thought Doctor Strange was a prequel movie. I think I still headcanon this film as happening before Winter Soldier

Spoiler

Well, one of the cases presented to Strange before his car crash was (likely) a result of the experimental Hammer suits in Iron Man 2, so it probably starts at around that time.
You know, the marine that got his spine crushed by experimental armor.

16 minutes ago, Nightbird said:

Did this occur to anybody else during/after watching Doctor Strange? Spoilered for size.

Hide contents

Doctor Strange Avatar TLA Similarities.jpg

Hah, no, but I did immediately think of (Agents of SHIELD Spoilers):

Spoiler

Coulson's shield built into his prosthetic arm from the last episode.

Speaking of Agents of SHIELD, I just watched the 2nd episode of the current season, "Meet the New Boss"...

Spoiler

Agents of SHIELD Darkhold Namedrop Freakout Smaller.jpg

Being that the Darkhold is an apocalyptically powerful magical artifact, could this be the beginning of a setup to get Doctor Strange involved?

(BTW, "Meet the New Boss" is as far as I've watched this season, so no big spoilers for later episodes, please. :D )

On 11/16/2016 at 10:43 AM, Delightful said:

Random fact, dr strange is namedropped in winter soldier. 

On 11/18/2016 at 9:13 AM, Quiver said:

Reveal hidden contents

That's why I thought Doctor Strange was a prequel movie. I think I still headcanon this film as happening before Winter Soldier

Spoiler

But in Winter Soldier, it was brought up in conjunction with the huge airship things that could foresee people's actions. I assumed that the name-drop was referring to Doctor Strange happening in the future, and stuck out as an obstacle to Hydra.

I've seen Dr. Strange yesterday and I was disappointed. I've heard a lot of good stuff about this movie, but after the "wow effect" faded out (the special effects were incredible) the story was just another remix of Iron Man/Batman/Spider-Man/Any other super hero getting his/hers powers. I think I've seen too much origin stories throughout the last couple of years to be pleased with another one. The only thing that differs them is the power set :/ 

After all, I don't consider my money wasted, but I was expecting more after all the positive reviews I've seen.

2 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

After all, I don't consider my money wasted, but I was expecting more after all the positive reviews I've seen.

People like a certain type of story.  Eventually they'll get bored, but right now Marvel can basically print money by reusing a plot line and changing up the characters/powers.  It's hard to create something new, and when you have a storyline that works... Just change a bit here and there and make some more money.  That said, I'd like to see some more different stories.  There's only so much you can do, and it's a bit scary to try something new when the movies are costing as much as they are to make, but I'd like to see them vary just a bit more.

I still haven't seen the movie, so I suppose I can't really talk more about that. :P Hopefully I'll be able to see it soon.