The 17S 4 Discussion Thread

Chaos

10 minutes ago, Chaos said:

What screen resolution are you running?

1600 x 900 on that monitor, 1440 x 900 on the other one. I don't run browsers full screen though, and that image was scaled down 75% so it didn't overflow the forum.

EDIT: For contrast, here's the normal front page with the adblocker turned off (also sized down to 75% and with personal info blacked out):

17s-new.png

Edited by Nyali

4 minutes ago, Nyali said:

1600 x 900 on that monitor, 1440 x 900 on the other one. I don't run browsers full screen though, and that image was scaled down 75% so it didn't overflow the forum.

I can see how the size would be more annoying, for sure.

Let me just say, I started out a bit skeptical of the new design (I'm an embittered, cynical soul) but it's really growing on me. It's going to be kinda fun to work out all the snazzy new features.

Also, I think it's pretty awesome that the admins interact with us lowly members so much and respond to our comments and concerns. Thanks, guys, you're awesome! ;)

5 minutes ago, Mistrunner said:

Let me just say, I started out a bit skeptical of the new design (I'm an embittered, cynical soul) but it's really growing on me. It's going to be kinda fun to work out all the snazzy new features.

Also, I think it's pretty awesome that the admins interact with us lowly members so much and respond to our comments and concerns. Thanks, guys, you're awesome! ;)

I do try and interact more, but I'm typically very busy. I enjoy it a lot!

1 minute ago, The Only Joe said:

How do I go to the first unread post in a thread?

Side note, where did the name 'thread' come from?

As others have stated, from the topic list view, you can list the star or circle to the left of the title to go to the first unread post.

5 minutes ago, The Young Bard said:

I'm not sure if you know this, but you seem to need to re-enter the White Sand and Aether passwords to get access again. (If there's no way around that, that's fine, it's not a major issue. Just thought you should know.)

I did not know this! But it is not unexpected. Sorry about that.

Just now, Straw said:

I had mixed feelings... Until I saw the new editor on mobile. Emojis come to mobile! :)

Pros: 

Better editor.

Neater design.

Lots of new buttons to press!

Cons:

Round profile pics.

No view unread posts button.

Orange reputation.

Bah, that's totally not orange! :P Come on :P 

As for Unread Posts, it appears on the breadcrumb off of the Forum home. http://www.17thshard.com/forum/discover/unread/

I will be making a dropdown for the newspaper icon soon for these Activity Streams so they are more obvious.

Here's something that I can't tell if is an error or not. When someone posts in a topic I'm viewing, it informs me and asks me if I want to load that new post. When I click on it, it does load the post, but it doesn't automatically scroll me down to the bottom like I believe it used to. Maybe this isn't an error, but it seems odd to click a button to see a new post and then have to manually scroll down the page to see that new post.

Just now, Windrunner said:

Here's something that I can't tell if is an error or not. When someone posts in a topic I'm viewing, it informs me and asks me if I want to load that new post. When I click on it, it does load the post, but it doesn't automatically scroll me down to the bottom like I believe it used to. Maybe this isn't an error, but it seems odd to click a button to see a new post and then have to manually scroll down the page to see that new post.

Yeah, I noticed that too! It seems really dumb... 

9 minutes ago, Straw said:

Strange things I've noticed:

Funky blue line above posts.

Will not show people on that thread.

Identical thread symbols.

Windy explained the first one there--that's what that blue line means--but what do you mean by "Will not show people on that thread" and "identical thread symbols"?

To continue my email-alert-related small-minded commentary (yes I use email alerts alot):

It used to be that there was a "the topic can be found here: <url>" link at the end of thread-post-alert emails that lead to the first post you hadn't read in that thread. That's essentially been replaced by the "Go to this post" button" associated with each post you get alerts about, in addition to a link to the thread itself (stating at the OP) at the beginning of the message.

Functionally, I used to use the newpost link as an easy way to jump into the thread where I left off, re-read anything I might have skimmed in the email alerts, and then get to the end and start replying if appropriate. But now if I want to navigate to the thread through the emails I have to either just go to the first page and navigate where I want to be or I have to find the most recent message I haven't seen on the site itself and click its "Go to this post" button.

It'd be nice if there was the return of a general "go to the first unread post on this thread" link as well.

Just now, Chaos said:

Windy explained the first one there--that's what that blue line means--but what do you mean by "Will not show people on that thread" and "identical thread symbols"?

On the old 17th shard it would show which people were viewing the thread. The replacements for the old allomantic symbols are identical. 

22 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

For me that's a feature. If I'm not on the bottom already, that means I'm reading something higher in the thread. Jumping to the new post would interrupt me and make me scroll up.

You know, that's a really good point.

11 minutes ago, Kurkistan said:

To continue my email-alert-related small-minded commentary (yes I use email alerts alot):

It used to be that there was a "the topic can be found here: <url>" link at the end of thread-post-alert emails that lead to the first post you hadn't read in that thread. That's essentially been replaced by the "Go to this post" button" associated with each post you get alerts about, in addition to a link to the thread itself (stating at the OP) at the beginning of the message.

Functionally, I used to use the newpost link as an easy way to jump into the thread where I left off, re-read anything I might have skimmed in the email alerts, and then get to the end and start replying if appropriate. But now if I want to navigate to the thread through the emails I have to either just go to the first page and navigate where I want to be or I have to find the most recent message I haven't seen on the site itself and click its "Go to this post" button.

It'd be nice if there was the return of a general "go to the first unread post on this thread" link as well.

I will investigate this after I have slept and can properly comprehend what you mean here ;) (Not that you aren't making sense, but just that I am extremely, extremely tired. I still haven't slept!)

8 minutes ago, Straw said:

On the old 17th shard it would show which people were viewing the thread. The replacements for the old allomantic symbols are identical. 

You're on point! The first is because I totally forgot to put that block in. I have now done so. Oops! For the Allomantic symbols... I'm going to be honest, it seems that there were a lot of fans of them, now that I read this topic. But I actually think that the symbols were unclear as to their function, so I did not go for putting them into this version. Those symbols do have functional meaning and obfuscating them with Allomantic symbols--while flavorful--were unclear. They didn't really scream what the icons meant, you know? Good UI design shouldn't force you to mouse over the icon to figure out what it means. 

Oh, by the Maillw, I'm not ignoring you. We're thinking about how the phone editor UI should go.

3 minutes ago, The Only Joe said:

Why is text getting duplicated in each reply in the Sanderson Elimination qf cycle 3 thread? I was careful and only hit reply once, without ever refreshing. But every post is having the text posted twice.

I will investigate. 

29 minutes ago, Windrunner said:

I literally got that pop-up as I was reading this, and I agree with Mestiv that it's more of a feature than a bug.  I wasn't at the point in the thread where I wanted to read The Only Joe's post, but I clicked the button so that it was read for when I got there.  I don't want to just skip ahead to the newest post, I want to make sure I read everything up to it too.

So with that Quick Fix topic, something is seriously wrong. Okay, maybe not ultra serious but I haven't seen an error message like this appear before. I locked down the thread and would encourage you to continue it in a new thread as I investigate. PM me immediately if you find another thread with this issue!