Harmonium

Kinetic

Atium was the metal of Ruin and let a person to see another's future, lerasium was the metal of Preservation and when burned, the person burning became a full allomancer. What would Harmony's metal be able to do? My theory is that if "Harmonium" is burned, the burner becomes a full Ferruchemist.​

WARNING. this contains some spoilers for the first Mistborn Trilogy.

Edited by Kinetic

I think it's Ettmetal. "Ett" is Swedish for "One", which fits well with the Southern Scadrians' view of Harmony.

Also, the two shards that make up Harmony are very different, so that might be why it easily explodes. Thirdly, it has a very unique way of interacting with, and enhancing, Investiture.

Unless there's some WoB that contradicts this, it just makes a lot of sense to me.

This would probably mean that it doesn't make people into Feruchemists, since it's lethal to eat... maybe a lerasium-harmonium alloy?

(I still think it should be Sazedium, by the way)

Edit: also, I'm pretty sure there is a Harmony shardpool in the south, since there have been Southern worldhoppers in the past. That could be where it's created and mined.

Edited by Eki

I think it's Ettmetal. "Ett" is Swedish for "One", which fits well with the Southern Scadrians' view of Harmony.

Also, the two shards that make up Harmony are very different, so that might be why it easily explodes. Thirdly, it has a very unique way of interacting with, and enhancing, Investiture.

Unless there's some WoB that contradicts this, it just makes a lot of sense to me.

This would probably mean that it doesn't make people into Feruchemists, since it's lethal to eat... maybe a lerasium-harmonium alloy?

(I still think it should be Sazedium, by the way)

Edit: also, I'm pretty sure there is a Harmony shardpool in the south, since there have been Southern worldhoppers in the past. That could be where it's created and mined.

I like your idea, ettmetal does make sense. So it said it is poisonous to eat, does that include allomancers? Allomancers eat a lot of stuff that isn't technically "good" for you. Besides, even if it is poisonous to eat, I bet you could store stuff in it.

I too like Sazedium much better than Harmonium. But this made me think of something. If the other shards had metals, what would they be? (I'm pretty sure WoB say that they don't)

Edglium/Endowmentium

Raysium/Odiumium

Tanavastium/Honorium

?ium/Cultivationium

It's not that it's poisonous (it might be), but since it explodes in water, you don't want it anywhere near your insides...

Aah, right.

If you encase metal in plastic then swallow it, can you still burn it? If yes, you could do that to the metal.

This made me think of a death pill made of ettmetal being covered in a thin degrading substance, then swallowed. After a few minutes... Boom!

It's not that it's poisonous (it might be), but since it explodes in water, you don't want it anywhere near your insides...

It wouldn't be no longer "burning", but "exploding" :D

Anyway, godmetals are quite special in their own systems.

Lerasium - allows you to burn anything

Atium - steals everything

Harmonium - it probably should be something like "universal metalmind", perhaps.

I don't think it's ettmetal. Naturally occuring godmetals are incredibly rare - there were only sixteen beads of lerasium (probably ever). Preservation cut off a part of Ruin and forced it constantly produce atium and atium was still very rare.

The amount of ettmetal they use is way too high to be a godmetal. They based their technology around it. Even if we assume that Sazed is producing harmonium as hard as atium was and that it is at two time greater rate (cause he is double Shard) it still doesn't match up.

I don't think it's ettmetal. Naturally occuring godmetals are incredibly rare - there were only sixteen beads of lerasium (probably ever). Preservation cut off a part of Ruin and forced it constantly produce atium and atium was still very rare.

The amount of ettmetal they use is way too high to be a godmetal. They based their technology around it. Even if we assume that Sazed is producing harmonium as hard as atium was and that it is at two time greater rate (cause he is double Shard) it still doesn't match up.

Keep in mind that Preservation specifically put the pits in a cave structure that was near impossible to navigate in an attempt to prevent Ruin from finding them. On top of that, the one thing that could be used to help with gathering the beads (allomancy) destroyed the crystals that produced them. The crystals also shattered slightly each time someone retrieved a geode, and had to regrow. Harmony, on the other hand, could have easily made an accessable shardpool that could be carefully harvested for ettmetal while avoiding all damage to production rates. Also, because allomancy is no longer the opposite of the shard's intent, time bubbles could be used to up production. On top of that, ettmetal was used at a much greater rate than Atium, and therefore more would be in the system, so to speak. We have basically no frame of reference to judge how much ettmetal there is Edited by Bugsy6912

Personally I'm more inclined to believe Ettmetal is a godmetal alloy of some kind, simply powering things doesn't seem like it would be enough for a full godmetal. Perhaps a Lerasium Nicrosil alloy? It preserves your Investiture by powering stuff for you.

Personally I'm more inclined to believe Ettmetal is a godmetal alloy of some kind, simply powering things doesn't seem like it would be enough for a full godmetal. Perhaps a Lerasium Nicrosil alloy? It preserves your Investiture by powering stuff for you.

That sounds very plausible, except that it should make you a Nicrosil misting. Also, where would the blowing up come from?

That sounds very plausible, except that it should make you a Nicrosil misting. Also, where would the blowing up come from?

That's one effect but not necessarily the only one. The blowing up is weird though, I don't really have any answers for that.

I doubt it's a lerasium alloy, just because that would cause massive problems plotwise. If people can extract lerasium from ettmetal, it wouldn't take long for them to try burning it.

The exploding could easily just be mundane coincidence, as that could definitely occur under entirely chemical principles. That would eliminate atium and lerasium alloys though, as those don't turn you into a shower of giblets or even detonate in normal air.

It apparently radiates power though, which interests me.

I doubt it's a lerasium alloy, just because that would cause massive problems plotwise. If people can extract lerasium from ettmetal, it wouldn't take long for them to try burning it.

Well extracting it may not be particularly simple. Technically the Mists are Lerasium too and no ones managed to actually condense it into a metal yet.

Well extracting it may not be particularly simple. Technically the Mists are Lerasium too and no ones managed to actually condense it into a metal yet.

The mists also seem to be, at least, semi-sentient and might resist being "condensed". 

Also, are we saying the Mists are Lerasium because they are of Preservation?

No, they are the gaseous analog of Lerasium, which can be distilled somehow into solid pure preservation, i.e. Lerasium (there's WOB out there on it, if you want to know specifically).

I personally doubt ettmetal would qualify. Surely someone would figure that out, in the time the South has had to play with ettmetal. It just takes a non wet finger to touch the metal, and boom, you would figure out how to be a Feruchemist, so I think it's pretty implausible.

It apparently radiates power though, which interests me.

The description of ettmetal glowing makes me think of how metals glow in the Cognitive.  Perhaps they're a sorta super-open gateway, constantly leaking Investiture?

Though if so it makes me wonder why it doesn't "burn" away.

No, they are the gaseous analog of Lerasium, which can be distilled somehow into solid pure preservation, i.e. Lerasium (there's WOB out there on it, if you want to know specifically).

I personally doubt ettmetal would qualify. Surely someone would figure that out, in the time the South has had to play with ettmetal. It just takes a non wet finger to touch the metal, and boom, you would figure out how to be a Feruchemist, so I think it's pretty implausible.

Thank you for the clarification as I was interested in that WoB. Have an upvote!