reverse lashings

summers

Love the magic system in these series, the lashings are cool. Unlike comic book characters that have full control of gravity, the surges have real limits allowing for creative uses that readers can understand. If it was like comic books the fights would just devolve into people throwing energy beams at each other.

The applications of basic and full lashings inside and outside combat is easy to think of, but what about reverse lashings? its said to use the least amount of stormlight meaning that its applications could be used more frequently.The only use I remember is attracting arrows to bridges and shields.

I challenge forum members to think of some creative uses for reverse lashings, preferably for use outside of combat. Feel free do the same with other lashings as well if you have an idea.

My Idea for inside combat is firing reverse lashed arrow at target that will pull every other randomly fired arrow accurately to the target. 

For outside combat; cleaning up debris.

Unfortunately Reverse Lashing requires constant touch. It's a very limiting factor.

That I did not remember; very limiting indeed so my 2 ideas is dead.Makes sense though, also prevents kaladin from pulling a chibaku tensei.

If reverse lashing works on people it could be uses as a way of restraining people, similar to a full lashing.

Makes me wonder, is it fair to say the more restrictive the power the least storm light it uses?

Love the magic system in these series, the lashings are cool. Unlike comic book characters that have full control of gravity, the surges have real limits allowing for creative uses that readers can understand. If it was like comic books the fights would just devolve into people throwing energy beams at each other.

The applications of basic and full lashings inside and outside combat is easy to think of, but what about reverse lashings? its said to use the least amount of stormlight meaning that its applications could be used more frequently.The only use I remember is attracting arrows to bridges and shields.

I challenge forum members to think of some creative uses for reverse lashings, preferably for use outside of combat. Feel free do the same with other lashings as well if you have an idea.

My Idea for inside combat is firing reverse lashed arrow at target that will pull every other randomly fired arrow accurately to the target. 

For outside combat; cleaning up debris.

Regular physics still applies. If you could reverse lash an arrow without touching it, in an attempt to pull other arrows toward the intended target, the reverse lashed arrow would itself be pulled off course.  Just like in mistborn, if you iron push on something that is heavier than you (or has more friction), then you will move instead of it moving.

Edited by tobar14

War Applications

Step #1: Dig a hole behind the battle lines

Step #2: Make a "lid" for the hole that resembles the ground so that it is not easily detectable.

Step #3: Construct a heavily armored 5-sided box; there should be handles or steps built into each side of the box on the inside

Step #4: Place Kaladin in the hole and cover it with the lid.

Step #5: Place the box over the hole (make sure to leave the open side of the box to the ground) and have Kaladin remove the lid.

Step #6A: For big boxes: Have Kaladin climb into the box with his feet on the steps

Step #6B: For small boxes: Have Kaladin reach up to grab hold of the handles inside the box

Step #7: Sound a tactical retreat

Step #8: Wait for a good number of enemies to congregate around the box

Step #9: Give the signal for Kaladin to apply a reverse lashing to the entire surface area of the box

Step #10: After a sufficient amount of time signal Kaladin to drop back into the hole, replace the lid, and wait for rescue.

Result: Kaladin is able to transform the box into a gravity mine that incapacitates multiple enemies at once. ( e.g. Kind of like Star Lord uses in the opening scene of Guardians of the Galaxy as he is trying to get back to his ship.)

Better idea #1: Use the process above, but make the hole a tunnel system. This would allow Kaladin to both repeat the process at multiple locations and escape without assistance

Better idea #2: Use gravitation fabrials as gravity grenades.

Better idea #3: Use warmth fabrials to heat air for ballons, then hang gravitation fabrials at arrow height to neutralize archer attacks.

Better idea #4: Use a series of gravitation fabrials to make a rail gun.

Non-War Applications

Have a group of Windrunners use full force, omni-directional reverse lashings while flying to change atmospheric pressure and divert the Everstorm from major population centers (attracting all the air with a reverse lashing should create a low-pressure zone that would pull the storm in the direction of the low pressure zone).

Edited by KidWayne

Regular physics still applies. If you could reverse lash an arrow without touching it, in an attempt to pull other arrows toward the intended target, the reverse lashed arrow would itself be pulled off course.  Just like in mistborn, if you iron push on something that is heavier than you (or has more friction), then you will move instead of it moving.

damnation your right, this is difficult. Good thing I made a thread or I would have though our fav grouch kaliden could do some crazy stuff.

War Applications

Step #1: Dig a hole behind the battle lines

Step #2: Make a "lid" for the hole that resembles the ground so that it is not easily detectable.

Step #3: Construct a heavily armored 5-sided box; there should be handles or steps built into each side of the box on the inside

Step #4: Place Kaladin in the hole and cover it with the lid.

Step #5: Place the box over the hole (make sure to leave the open side of the box to the ground) and have Kaladin remove the lid.

Step #6A: For big boxes: Have Kaladin climb into the box with his feet on the steps

Step #6B: For small boxes: Have Kaladin reach up to grab hold of the handles inside the box

Step #7: Sound a tactical retreat

Step #8: Wait for a good number of enemies to congregate around the box

Step #9: Give the signal for Kaladin to apply a reverse lashing to the entire surface area of the box

Step #10: After a sufficient amount of time signal Kaladin to drop back into the hole, replace the lid, and wait for rescue.

Result: Kaladin is able to transform the box into a gravity mine that incapacitates multiple enemies at once. ( e.g. Kind of like Star Lord uses in the opening scene of Guardians of the Galaxy as he is trying to get back to his ship.)

Better idea #1: Use the process above, but make the hole a tunnel system. This would allow Kaladin to both repeat the process at multiple locations and escape without assistance

Better idea #2: Use gravitation fabrials as gravity grenades.

Better idea #3: Use warmth fabrials to heat air for ballons, then hang gravitation fabrials at arrow height to neutralize archer attacks.

Better idea #4: Use a series of gravitation fabrials to make a rail gun.

Non-War Applications

Have a group of Windrunners use full force, omni-directional reverse lashings while flying to change atmospheric pressure and divert the Everstorm from major population centers (attracting all the air with a reverse lashing should create a low-pressure zone that would pull the storm in the direction of the low pressure zone).

Epic. I can so see Kal chilling underground laying in wait with a frown on his face.  gravitation fabrial  exists? or is it possible.

KidWayne, awesome Non-war application. I should have thought about Windrunners using air pressure to influence weather patterns! With that and my theory that Bondsmiths can use Adhesion and Tension to liquify stormlight, no-one will call Adhesion an useless surge anymore!

Edited by DreamEternal

I assume that since we have seen a "Regrowth" fabrial, it is possible to construct fabrials that imitate the powers of each of the 10 surges.

All Damnation will break loose if someone manages to weaponize, say, division fabrials.

BTW, I feel I need to remind you all that while the Basic Lashing creates a gravitational pull of exactly the planet's pull, Reverse Lashing creates a far stronger field.

Except curiously, things actually touching the ground aren't affected as much.

I assume you can't lash a shardblade because of the investiture interference.

And you can't Lash somebody in Shardplate.

But we're talking here about your Shardblade. It's your Investiture. Similar to how Shallan infuses Pattern with Stormlight to sustain her Lightweaving.

I expect that, much like simply Soulcasting an opposing force into Strawberry Jam, it's simply not cost-effective at the end of the day. Considering that Reverse Lashings don't affect things touching the ground as much, and that people can brace to resist since it's not over-writing the normal gravitational pull like a Basic Lashing, and even if it's stronger than gravity (do we know that it is?) people are fully capable of using muscle mass to resist gravity all the time; it's called jumping. Or standing. Or climbing a set of stairs. Or raising your hand. Or just about literally any action that isn't falling limply to the ground. I don't know if there's an upper limit to how powerful a Reverse Lashing you could make, but even if there's not, the amount of Stormlight you'd need to actually summon even just one person to your Shardblade would likely be prohibitive. And even if it worked... what then? Now you're holding a sword that has a dead body stuck to it, and other screaming people (and rocks, and plants, and animals, and carts) are also flying through the air right at you. If you're lucky, you'll kill one person before their body around your Shardblade prevents anyone else from being cut, even if they are attracted.

I expect that, much like simply Soulcasting an opposing force into Strawberry Jam, it's simply not cost-effective at the end of the day. Considering that Reverse Lashings don't affect things touching the ground as much, and that people can brace to resist since it's not over-writing the normal gravitational pull like a Basic Lashing, and even if it's stronger than gravity (do we know that it is?) people are fully capable of using muscle mass to resist gravity all the time; it's called jumping. Or standing. Or climbing a set of stairs. Or raising your hand. Or just about literally any action that isn't falling limply to the ground. I don't know if there's an upper limit to how powerful a Reverse Lashing you could make, but even if there's not, the amount of Stormlight you'd need to actually summon even just one person to your Shardblade would likely be prohibitive. And even if it worked... what then? Now you're holding a sword that has a dead body stuck to it, and other screaming people (and rocks, and plants, and animals, and carts) are also flying through the air right at you. If you're lucky, you'll kill one person before their body around your Shardblade prevents anyone else from being cut, even if they are attracted.

But there are much more possibilities than just standing there with extended Shardblade and waiting for people to fall from the 100 meters away.

Imagine a fight in close combat, you make a swing, your opponent jumps back out of your range. As he does it, you extented your other hand forward, while summoning a straight blade pointing forward and creating a powerful Reverse Lashing on yourself/Shardblade/your hand/whatever.

The opponent is still in the air, close to you. There is nothing he can do to avoid being impaled.

EDIT: I just realized that Tendo from Naruto is a perfect example of using such abilities. He frequently pulled people towards him to impale them.

Edited by Oversleep

Now you're holding a sword that has a dead body stuck to it, and other screaming people (and rocks, and plants, and animals, and carts) are also flying through the air right at you. If you're lucky, you'll kill one person before their body around your Shardblade prevents anyone else from being cut, even if they are attracted.

But shardblades cut through bodies...

But shardblades cut through bodies...

I know. What's your point? If you're pouring enough Reverse Lashing into your Blade to make a body fly off the ground to your Blade, that's now the center of it's universe. However much you cut through the body (or rock, or whatever else you've just called to you), it's still just hovering around the blade. Next thing won't hit the blade, it'll just hit the body. Or boulder. Or cart. Pretty soon you'll just have a "ball of matter" like katamari around your Blade, and new things accreting will just stand on that.

Shardblades cut through bodies; they don't make them disappear. Remember the very first Shardblade fight we see. Szeth Lashes a couch at Gavilar. The King cuts it out of the air... and the two pieces just keep going and crash into him. "I can cut anything" isn't the solution to every problem.

But there are much more possibilities than just standing there with extended Shardblade and waiting for people to fall from the 100 meters away.

Imagine a fight in close combat, you make a swing, your opponent jumps back out of your range. As he does it, you extented your other hand forward, while summoning a straight blade pointing forward and creating a powerful Reverse Lashing on yourself/Shardblade/your hand/whatever.

The opponent is still in the air, close to you. There is nothing he can do to avoid being impaled.

EDIT: I just realized that Tendo from Naruto is a perfect example of using such abilities. He frequently pulled people towards him to impale them.

Eh. You seem to be assuming a Windrunner (or Skybreaker) against a mundane. If Kal, with all his powers, needs to resort to a trick like this... wouldn't it take a ton less Stormlight to just Lash yourself once towards the person so you're going to him? He can't avoid you any more than he could the Reverse Lashing.

What if he's an Iron allomancer, and can simply pull himself away, fighting gravity? What if he's an iron ferring, and can make himself weightless so your gravity gets no purchase on him? What if he's a Willshaper and simply teleports away?

And while we're at it... Reverse Lashings don't work on just one thing. They work on everything. If you make it powerful enough to pull a man who is "a short hop" off the ground, he'd normally land in a fraction of a second... but now you're putting so much Stormlight into it that you're ripping him at you so fast, he doesn't have time to land, to brace himself on the ground, to grab something on the ground and hold himself back. How powerful is that? What else is being affected? While you're trying to pull him, you don't see the horse flying through the air behind you to crash into your back. The innocent civilian to the side you didn't see who was just killed by your Blade.The earth itself being torn in chunks right beneath your feet.

It seems like an awfully expensive way to do something you could already do way easier with a different power, without a ton of side effects, that wouldn't work on a whole subsection of people with powers, and if you're fighting someone powerless, just holding Stormlight should make you fast enough that with a Blade you don't need any tricks.

Yeah... I'm just not seeing it. In a technical, abstract, ceteris parabis, "throw a ball off a cliff where there is no air" kind of way, sure, it sorta sounds cool. It just doesn't survive first contact with a real world situation. ("Real world" used very loosely here, I admit.)