Mysterious Name Drop [SH Spoilers]

Pinnacle-Ferring

None of us have much more than that.

The Elantris Ars Arcanum suggests that Vax is a planet, or at least a place. My best guess has been that Ati though he was on/in Vax, something in Scadrial's Cognitive Realm made him think of it. Beyond that, we don't have anything.

This is one of two places Vax has been mentioned. The other was in the Elantris 10th Anniversary Ars Arcanum, where we can infer that it is a planet.

There's been some discussion already as to what it means: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/52570-secret-history-spoilers-last-words/. But, the short answer is: we don't know.

Peter has been his typical cryptic self on the matter: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/49440-idaho-falls-is-coming-up/?p=362712.

At that time Harmony was re-making the world and the Cognitive Realm itself was a bit strange for the Heavy use of power... Maybe it was similar of the Vax's Cognitive Realm.

Or maybe simply Ati lost the controll of Ruin on Vax and when he died and spawn on the Cognitive he himself thought to be still on Vax.

What if it has something to do with strange power the IRE seemed to be tapping from the shard world kelsier seen when he touched there fortress. Maybe the power of a shard who's holders name is Vax? Just speculating here but maybe Ati was sensing Vax's power kelsier absorbed from the sphere device.

Edited by LordOfMortals

What if its a person and a planet? Plenty of people have named cities and countries after themselves, it's not much of a stretch to imagine that someone would do the same for a planet they created

possible but unlikely... there is a WoB about the Shardworld having their name pre-shattering... it's unlikely that some Yolish guy have the same name of a Shardworld.

Of course this thought of mine don't consider a change of Vessel for the Vax's Shard

okay, I may be spewing nonsense, but couldn't tax be the original name of scaladrial? also, this would point towards the Elantris timeline being far behind the Mistborn plot.

It's impossible both Vax and Scadrial were used in the Elantris's Ars Arcanum.

okay, I may be spewing nonsense, but couldn't tax be the original name of scaladrial? also, this would point towards the Elantris timeline being far behind the Mistborn plot.

It's pretty far behind Mistborn yeah. Also I believe that Ruin and Preservation made Scadrial so it can't really have an original name.

It's pretty far behind Mistborn yeah. Also I believe that Ruin and Preservation made Scadrial so it can't really have an original name.

You could be right, but I'm pretty sure that Preservation and Ruin created LIFE on Scaladrial, not the planet itself.

We have also a direct WoB about the creation of Scadrial by R&P:

Q: If another Shard came to Scadrial, would that be enough to create a godmetal?

A: If another shard just came to visit, probably not.

Q: If they brought a spren or-

A: If they came and completely Invested the world, then things might start happening. But there's some special circumstances, remember. Ruin and Preservation created that planet. Specifically. And so there's some goofy things that happened because of that. For instance Roshar was not made by Honor, Cultivation, or Odium. That's one of the big differences about what's going on there.

I am posting the whole exchange but the meaningfull part is bolded.

Idle tangent: Why create a planet, specifically? What if it was about tying up as much Ruin as possible to keep him inactive? We've seen what happens to "negative" shards that are not given sufficient entertainment/distraction?

It's definitely possible - Ati was, in fact, a kind man when he picked up Ruin. I had assumed it was because of the combined nature of the two Shards, their ability to create, that they chose - or were driven - to start from scratch. 

Idle tangent: Why create a planet, specifically? What if it was about tying up as much Ruin as possible to keep him inactive? We've seen what happens to "negative" shards that are not given sufficient entertainment/distraction?

Well creating a planet Preservation & Ruin will bound to Scadrial very deeply... Probably without destroing (and retriving their Investiture, they can't leave).

This is a plausible answer, but I think there is more:

To me Preservation wanted to create Scadrial to have a planet with a "physical" Focus and the result was Scadrial with its metals. I think Preservation made this because he need a magic compatible to his own plan and some who give to the people (far away in the future pawns) a way to debilitate Ruin.

With enough Future Sight He could point exactly to the type of world needed to his great Plan. And creates it without much trouble

We have also a direct WoB about the creation of Scadrial by R&P:

I am posting the whole exchange but the meaningfull part is bolded.

Doesn't the rest of that WOB quote pose SERIOUS questions for SoS? Or could someone intentionally invest specifically in a God Metal and bypass Brandon's implication here?

Doesn't the rest of that WOB quote pose SERIOUS questions for SoS? Or could someone intentionally invest specifically in a God Metal and bypass Brandon's implication here?

Probably the generic Shard no, but we saw how that specific God Metal carry a "Stealth ability" with itself... Bleeder may be invisible to Harmony's Hemalurgic sense trought that Spike... Maybe this "Invasion" is made possible only because That-Shard's God Metal have the ability to hide itself (and it's something that push me away from Odium to be honest, more near to Autonomy)

• 1 month later...

What if Autonomy made the metal, and Odium sent the Fakeless Immortals?

Could they be working together, in separate ways?

Autonomy wanting to free the people of Scadrial from Harmony, and being tricked by Odium who (as per the Fakeless) wants to wipe out the population as part of his plan?

Is Autonomy just a useful idiot? Or does he know full well what Odium wants/is planning?

Maybe his whole schtick is that he doesn't want the Shards to control people so he helps Odium destroy them so that people can be free?

What if Autonomy made the metal, and Odium sent the Fakeless Immortals?

Could they be working together, in separate ways?

Autonomy wanting to free the people of Scadrial from Harmony, and being tricked by Odium who (as per the Fakeless) wants to wipe out the population as part of his plan?

Is Autonomy just a useful idiot? Or does he know full well what Odium wants/is planning?

Maybe his whole schtick is that he doesn't want the Shards to control people so he helps Odium destroy them so that people can be free?

Upvote for Fakeless Immortal.

I'm positive that Autonomy is either working for or against Odium. It just makes sense that Odium would need an ally to be able to take down two Shards, especially with his current fear of Harmony. It doesn't make sense that he would go after two shards on his own, especially that early on. This coupled with Hoid having a serious grudge against them two and them two alone convinces me that this is the case.

It would also be some grade A irony if Autonomy was the one to be working with Odium.

Edited by Blightsong

• 1 month later...
On 21/03/2016 at 10:47 AM, Argent said:

It's definitely possible - Ati was, in fact, a kind man when he picked up Ruin. I had assumed it was because of the combined nature of the two Shards, their ability to create, that they chose - or were driven - to start from scratch. 

Preservation is stasis. Cannot create. Ruin is enthropy can only destroy. Both they could create a dynamic world by oposing each other (which reminds me of Wheel of Time themes).

• Chaos locked this topic