What would you call a practitioner of Hemalurgy?

Bryce Carmony

Well, there's really two kinds. If they call themselves a Hemalurgist, then they probably aren't going to randomly spike you any more than an Allomancer would randomly eat every metal they came across.

If they call themselves a Lurker, well then, you might want to run.

Well...I would say that someone who spikes other people (practicing the art of hemalurgy) is a hemalurgist (as stated by happyman) vs. someone / something that has spikes put into them ("uses" hemalurgy), is a hemalurgic construct...

Well...I would say that someone who spikes other people (practicing the art of hemalurgy) is a hemalurgist (as stated by happyman) vs. someone / something that has spikes put into them ("uses" hemalurgy), is a hemalurgic construct...

I would argue that if a person just has one (or a few) spikes in them they are a Hemalurgist, not a Hemalurgic construct.  A construct is an entity that is actively changed by the spikes and their configuration into something that is no longer strictly human (or mistwraith).

Well, something as "minor" as savantism already edges you away from the "human" definition, IIRC. So one spike seems like it ought to be enough. You basically have a spiritual genome larger than other people's by the end of it.

Edited by natc

I would argue that if a person just has one (or a few) spikes in them they are a Hemalurgist, not a Hemalurgic construct.  A construct is an entity that is actively changed by the spikes and their configuration into something that is no longer strictly human (or mistwraith).

Yeah...I thought about this before posting...Kanda, Koloss, and Inquisitiors are all referred to as being hemalurgic constructs...and people tend to agree on that...but...they really don't have anything in common aside from the spikes...and being suceptable to shardic influence.

- Kandra, only 2 spikes, no real physical change from a mistwraith, become sapient, get a "blessing"

- Koloss, 4 spikes, man shaped...but not really, severly diminished intelligence and altered emotions

- Inquisitors, several spikes, look human...but...with spikes...and rearranged organs, basically human in thought, now have powers

So...I don't know...maybe I'm wrong for referring to anyone/anything with a spike as a construct...I just didn't remeber ever seeing, hearing, reading, anything to indicate otherwise.

...and as natc points out...even savants are no longer "human"...technically...

SoS spoiler...

even the weird monsters from SoS only had one spike

Mistborn spoler...

or take Zane, only had 1 spike, at first glance you'd say he was a human with a spike, but his organs would have had to reorganize around the chest spike for it to not kill him.

...now...please don't misread my typed words (which convey no tone) I'm not being argumentative...just putting it all out there.

What EXACTLY is or isn't a hemalurgic construct...

Edited by hoidhunter

Harmony himself said:

Looking back, we should have been able to see the connection between the mists, Allomancy, and the power at the Well of Ascension. Not only could Allomancers' vision pierce the mists, but there was the fact that the mists swirled slightly around the body of a person using any kind of Allomancy.

More telling, perhaps, was the fact that when a Hemalurgist used his abilities, it drove the mists away. The closer one came to Ruin, the more under his influence, and the longer one bore his spikes, the more the mists were repelled.

So somebody with spikes is definitely a Hemalurgist. I wonder how would you call somebody doing all the spiking (without bearing any spikes themselves).

My definition of Hemalurgy Costruct is something like:

"A being with Hemalurgy Spikes placed in specific bindpoints used to give him some quirks (positive and/or negative) strictly different by the power in the Spikes he wore and different by the general Hemalurgy rules (Mindcontrol weakness)"

In more common terms, an Hemalurgy Costruct is something that obtain from Hemalurgy more of what the Spikes would give to another in a standard use.

Example:
Kandra: Mistwraith obtain sentiences (or overcome their cognitive block if you prefer)

Koloss: Endless grown, change to metabolism, (maybe) Cognitive Block, estetic change

Inquisitor: change to metabolism (they have need of different cycle of sleep), extend lifespan, unability to use Smartphone/PC/TV

Edited by Yata

My definition of Hemalurgy Costruct is something like:

"A being with Hemalurgy Spikes placed in specific bindpoints used to give him some quirks (positive and/or negative) strictly different by the power in the Spikes he wore and different by the general Hemalurgy rules (Mindcontrol weakness)"

In more common terms, an Hemalurgy Costruct is something that obtain from Hemalurgy more of what the Spikes would give to another in a standard use.

Example:

Kandra: Mistwraith obtain sentiences (or overcome their cognitive block if you prefer)

Koloss: Endless grown, change to metabolism, (maybe) Cognitive Block, estetic change

Inquisitor: change to metabolism (they have need of different cycle of sleep), extend lifespan, unability to use Smartphone/PC/TV

I think their sleep cycle was supposed to be due to their use of feruchemy rather than a result of being an Inquisitor.

I would call a practitioner of Hemalurgy a "Hemalurgist," further defined as "one who creates or implants a Hemalurgic spike." This has the benefit of disqualifying the victims of Hemalurgic Spiritweb alteration (the koloss and Paalm's chimerae, for example), while catching the people who actually do the Hemalurgic stabbaging.

Harmony himself said:

So somebody with spikes is definitely a Hemalurgist. I wonder how would you call somebody doing all the spiking (without bearing any spikes themselves).

Thanks for the defining quote oversleep.  You are indeed correct.  

In regard to the question you posed next...I'm guessing that "douche bag" is not an acceptable answer?

"Lookin at you dark alley!"

Edited by hoidhunter

I think their sleep cycle was supposed to be due to their use of feruchemy rather than a result of being an Inquisitor.

Possible but I don't know in TFE an Inquisitor began to have problem to stay still because ("he was awake from too long") therefore I suppose there is something else other than Feruchemy.

Anyway that was just another example to explain my definition ;-)

• Chaos locked this topic