Lounge

king007

Hey <R>, I think you should organize a fantasy series Hurt'n'Heal on this board...

Huh? /k, do I look like I need more stuff to do? And is there a particular reason that I have been chosen for this mission?

The trombone qualifies you for the job.

Okay, but I really should put it up on the Entertainment forum so that all can participate. We at RE are a happy band, but small.

• 2 weeks later...

So what part of Canada were you in, Robinski?

Creston, BC. My in-laws have lived there since 1970 (before they were my in-laws!!). Sadly, my father in-law died, so wife and I were there for the memorial and to help out with estate stuff. It was a 4 weeks trip, which was great, but for a sad reason. Creston is typical small town Canada - big fruit growing region in wide valley between the Selkirks and the Purcells - only 6 miles from Idaho border.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear about your father-in-law. Hope you had at least a few chances to relax and enjoy over the trip?

And I thought Creston sounded familiar. You were only a few hours away from me!

I think we've had this conversation before - aren't you in Fernie or some equally exotic place?

Yes, we did get some r'n'r in during our time there, but it's also relaxing in a way to be home and back into the old routine.

Thanks for you kind thoughts.

If any of you are subbing or sub-ready, a whole mess of Twitter contests are in June. I've had great luck with them in the past. Ones to look into: 

#pitmad

#WCNV

#SFFPIT (probably the most relevant here)

#70pit16

I'll be out of internet range for most of these, so am setting up TweetDeck to participate. If anyone wants tweet help, or more info, just let me know.

I think we've had this conversation before - aren't you in Fernie or some equally exotic place?

Yes, we did get some r'n'r in during our time there, but it's also relaxing in a way to be home and back into the old routine.

Thanks for you kind thoughts.

We probably have, come to think of it. I've never heard of a Fernie but I live in the Okanagan valley.

We probably have, come to think of it. I've never heard of a Fernie but I live in the Okanagan valley.

Cool, it's a beautiful part of the world. I've been to Creston 10 or 12 times over the years - from duty in a sense, but I'm fine with that, love it there. Why did they go and put Canada so far away though?

Edited by Robinski

#PitMad is TOMORROW, guys! Anyone else going to participate???

I just never feel like I've got anything ready, or that anything that I'd be willing to submit was publishable. I see Pitmad's requirements include 'polished', so that's enough to put me off. Also, good advice in the guidance to lead with what makes your story unique, but I just don't feel that anything I've written is unique. How many of us can says that?

After I finished Waifs and Strays Draft 1 (about December), I set myself the goal of writing and submitting shorts, but I'm not there yet. Helpfully, Pitmad runs 4 times a year, so I'll catch it net time - promise.

But, Kaisa, really appreciate you putting this post up, I think we all need this kind of boost and targets to aim for to take things forward - thank you!

Okay, the more I think about this, the more I want to try something, just for the experience. So, I decided to write a 'Twitch' (see what I did there?) for Hold the Bridge. Here's what I came up with:

#PitMad-F Hold the Bridge The last thing Harth expected was to wake. A soldier robbed of peace by a god from whom he must earn deliverance. (1)

I'd be really interested to hear any thoughts on this. To be honest, I'm slightly intimidated by the audience over at Pitmad. Don't shoot me for saying this, but looking at the posts for Pitmad, I suspect that the audience is not in what is likely to be my core demographic for a story like HtB.

If any of you are subbing or sub-ready, a whole mess of Twitter contests are in June. I've had great luck with them in the past. Ones to look into: 

#pitmad

#WCNV

#SFFPIT (probably the most relevant here)

#70pit16

I'll be out of internet range for most of these, so am setting up TweetDeck to participate. If anyone wants tweet help, or more info, just let me know.

Just looked these up--I've never done a tweet pitch before, but it sounds like a good idea.  Unfortunately I also have nothing ready at the moment.  I've been working on a full novel for something like 2 years, and am still in the midst of edits.  Mainly because I'm taking the time to write and edit these shorter stories for self publishing.  Hopefully after I get First Majus in Space and Escapade of Silence complete, I can get the novel finished.  I hope to be ready for the next #pitmad or #SFFPIT.

Just looked these up--I've never done a tweet pitch before, but it sounds like a good idea.  Unfortunately I also have nothing ready at the moment.  I've been working on a full novel for something like 2 years, and am still in the midst of edits.  Mainly because I'm taking the time to write and edit these shorter stories for self publishing.  Hopefully after I get First Majus in Space and Escapade of Silence complete, I can get the novel finished.  I hope to be ready for the next #pitmad or #SFFPIT.

Looking forward to seeing you in the trenches someday, Mandamon!  I have found the twitter pitches to be incredibly useful. I make solid contacts, get opportunities to sub I likely never would have, and the agents and publishers who request my material are already engaged with it, so I get much more detailed feedback and usually, am more likely to get an R&R instead of a straight R.

#DVPit was AMAZING, and I still have a number of full subs out from that. #PitMatch only allows three tweets over 12 hours, but I'm getting decent likes already. Hoping the SFF one will be even better!

Looking forward to seeing you in the trenches someday, Mandamon!  I have found the twitter pitches to be incredibly useful. I make solid contacts, get opportunities to sub I likely never would have, and the agents and publishers who request my material are already engaged with it, so I get much more detailed feedback and usually, am more likely to get an R&R instead of a straight R.

#DVPit was AMAZING, and I still have a number of full subs out from that. #PitMatch only allows three tweets over 12 hours, but I'm getting decent likes already. Hoping the SFF one will be even better!

I've only done standard queries before, with no results, so I'm super jealous of all your requests!  Hopefully whenever I get to tweeting pitches I'll get more bites (and now that I'm hopefully a better author by 2+ years).

I am planning on going to WorldCon this year, as well.  Looking forward to getting to meet some agents and editors face to face.

I've only done standard queries before, with no results, so I'm super jealous of all your requests!  

To be fair, I'm not going into this blind, either. I'm published, just not in SFF, so I've successfully been through the query process, landed a publisher, published, etc. It makes the waters a little easier to navigate, because I do have at least some idea of what to put in a query, how to target, etc.

I was getting partials and a few fulls before I started the Twitter contests for AFD, but the contests have definitely gotten me sub requests that generate feedback. That's been the key I think to really breaking through the fourth dimension as it were with edits. Also, the contests are worth it for networking if nothing else.

Robinski -  I would tweak your Twitch in this way (stakes first, always first): A soldier robbed of peace, Harth never expected to Wake and be forced to fight for his own deliverance.

The more you practice at it, the better you get! Definitely keep Twitching!

Robinski -  I would tweak your Twitch in this way (stakes first, always first): A soldier robbed of peace, Harth never expected to Wake and be forced to fight for his own deliverance.

The more you practice at it, the better you get! Definitely keep Twitching!

Got it, thank you! I have learned a lot already and I haven't even pitched yet :)

Just started downloading my Hugo voting pack. #feelinggrownup

Thought I would start reading the first short story. This turned out to be a bad idea when editing one of your own. Man, they are good :-/

#feelingsmall #stiffupperlip #beaman #bichok #amediting

Can you explain? I've heard them talk about Hugos on WE, but I'm not sure how it works, especially now that you're referencing some sort of voting pack.

I joined Worldcon as a non-attending member, which entitles me to vote for the Hugo Awards. I can sign in and download all the 'materials' in the Voting Pack. This includes all the short stories, novellas, novelettes, novels, artwork, etc. that are nominated for awards. In other words I have a lot of reading to do before the end of July!!!