Lounge

king007

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a very surreal moment. The timelines and maps of the Systems are being designed right now for AFD (the frontmatter). There is a real artist somewhere making a map of a fictitious story from my brain. Thats weird. 

2 hours ago, kaisa said:

I'm having a very surreal moment. The timelines and maps of the Systems are being designed right now for AFD (the frontmatter). There is a real artist somewhere making a map of a fictitious story from my brain. Thats weird.

Awesome!  I've been getting in the art for Merchants and Maji this week, so I know what you mean.

19 hours ago, kaisa said:

That is so cool.

THE BEST EVER Twitter contest is coming up! #DVpit goes down October 5th for kids/teens books and October 6th for adult books. 8am-8pm ET. Info: http://dvpit.com/about.html

This pitch contest was by far the most influential for me. At least twenty participants signed with agents/publishers from the first round (I'm one of them). If you and your manuscript fall into an #ownvoices lanes, THIS IS THE PITCH CONTEST FOR YOU!

Mine is indeed #ownvoices (though in a way that makes me feel awkward of talking over more marginalized identities than mine, even as I spend a lot of time annoyed at a lack of acknowledgement of bisexuality in media) , but I'd need to have a complete one and I don't think I can write at the rate I would need, not if I want to make rent anyway lol. 

See what happens, I guess. It'll happen again too, I'm sure. Next one might be more realistic.  

Welcome back @Shadowfax!

@neongrey yes, best to have a fully polished manuscript before entering. Requests are everywhere during it, so you'd likely get a few pings, and then you wouldn't want to squander chances with a manuscript still rough around the edges. I think it'll run pretty regularly twice per year. I'm helping with it this time, so it's super exciting!

I had yesterday off. I sat down in my favorite chair and spent eight consecutive hours editing chapter 26 in book two. Is there a writing marathon olympic sport (in which you basically stay in one place/chapter)? If so, I may have just medaled. 

You guys ever had those moments where you know you're sleepy because you keep making typos you don't notice, but don't want to go to sleep because then the number of hours you have left to write (and live) will reduce by a chunk?

I am not a happy sleeper.

Hey peeps,

So, the thing is, I'm really struggling to get to my writing these days. My obsessive gene insists that I critique everything else before I start in on my stuff. Even on a good week, I'm maybe only getting a couple of days at my writing. I’ve come to the realisation that, if I'm going to forge ahead and get a story to market I'm going to have to cut back on my critiquing (sigh).

Ergo, this is an apology for that. I don’t want to stop completely, because there are stories that I want to continue to follow, and I still want to submit!! So, I'm sorry if I don’t manage to get to certain pieces in a given week. I’ll rack them up and try and get to a place where I can get caught up in ‘the future’, but in the mean time, I hope that no one is offended, and I certainly would not expect critique from anyone whose work I'm not reading myself.

Sorry again, see you on the other side.

<R>

Hey @Robinski,

Don't apologize for doing less when you've always done so much! Ever since joining this board, I've been amazed how you, @Mandamon, and @rdpulfer make time to critique everyone thoughtfully and fairly, even on weeks when you're not submitting yourselves. The fact that you critique before you write your own stuff is also pretty amazing--putting others first before tending to yourself. You've set a high standard for everyone! We're all here to grow as writers, so don't be disappointed in yourself for wanting just that: write first, critique later.

Also, I think it's a good sign that there's so much submitting going on that it's hard to keep up. A growing group producing a lot of text is a good problem to have! :)

19 minutes ago, krystalynn03 said:

putting others first before tending to yourself

Ahem... don't rule out the possibility that I find it easier to critique than to write, so I'm trying to cut down on the number of 'excuses' I have not to buckle down :)

Thanks as always for your support, /k - much appreciated.

I know what you mean, <R>, and I did think of that, but don't disvalue time, either. Can't ever get that stuff back!

On a side note, this is why I agree that the "Old Bloom's Taxonomy" was obviously wrong (I thought so in fifth grade long before they revised it!) Synthesis is obviously harder than evaluation, and anyone who writes or makes art could have told Bloom that the same day he invented the thing.

On another side note, what are you submitting this week? Curious Krystals want to know.

7 hours ago, Robinski said:

Hey peeps,

So, the thing is, I'm really struggling to get to my writing these days. My obsessive gene insists that I critique everything else before I start in on my stuff. Even on a good week, I'm maybe only getting a couple of days at my writing. I’ve come to the realisation that, if I'm going to forge ahead and get a story to market I'm going to have to cut back on my critiquing (sigh).

Ergo, this is an apology for that. I don’t want to stop completely, because there are stories that I want to continue to follow, and I still want to submit!! So, I'm sorry if I don’t manage to get to certain pieces in a given week. I’ll rack them up and try and get to a place where I can get caught up in ‘the future’, but in the mean time, I hope that no one is offended, and I certainly would not expect critique from anyone whose work I'm not reading myself.

Sorry again, see you on the other side.

<R>

I know what you mean, Robinski!  I'm getting to the same place myself.  Especially the last few weeks, getting the latest book published, and going to Worldcon, I'm getting very behind.  Merchants and Maji will be out this week, so hopefully things will calm down afterwards, but I'm not going to promise anything yet.  Suffice to say, I may get to critiques this week, but probably a little later.

Upcoming Twitter pitch contests, as found here. If anyone is thinking of entering and wants pitch help, query help, or all of the above, just PM me. 

August 29th: Hot Summer's Cool Pitchfest

September 7th: PitchSmae: Star Wars -- TheWrite Side

Septermber 8th: On the Block

September 8th: #PitMad Twitter Pitch party

October 5th: #DVPit for kid and YA lit

October 6th: #DVPit for adult / NF

November TBA: #AdPit and #KidPit

December TBA: PitchMAS

1 hour ago, kaisa said:

Congratulations, @Mandamon!

Thanks @kaisa!  I'll let everyone know when it's fully released...still flailing at getting ebook illustrations to show up correctly.

1 hour ago, kaisa said:

Upcoming Twitter pitch contests, as found here. If anyone is thinking of entering and wants pitch help, query help, or all of the above, just PM me. 

August 29th: Hot Summer's Cool Pitchfest

September 7th: PitchSmae: Star Wars -- TheWrite Side

Septermber 8th: On the Block

September 8th: #PitMad Twitter Pitch party

October 5th: #DVPit for kid and YA lit

October 6th: #DVPit for adult / NF

November TBA: #AdPit and #KidPit

December TBA: PitchMAS

I may actually participate in some of the September ones as 1) I now have an active twitter account and 2) I'm getting back to revisions on my epic fantasy.

6 minutes ago, Mandamon said:

Thanks @kaisa!  I'll let everyone know when it's fully released...still flailing at getting ebook illustrations to show up correctly.

I may actually participate in some of the September ones as 1) I now have an active twitter account and 2) I'm getting back to revisions on my epic fantasy.

@Mandamon what's your Twitter handle (if you don't mind sharing)? Would love to follow you.