Lounge

king007

4 hours ago, Asmodemon said:

I feel the same way, but the thing is I'm going on a round-the-world trek for the next six months, so I'm not sure how much I'll be able to write :)

Bah. I'm in the Amazonian rainforest RIGHT NOW. My stories are taking a decidedly more deadly spin ATM though....

33 minutes ago, krystalynn03 said:

I'm trying to rework some serious structural problems in the middle arc and am nowhere near submission ready, but maybe someday. I'd like to see what everyone's pitches look like, though. Good luck!

Thanks! I'll post any of mine that get likes. I've done a few of these now, and do pretty well, all things considered. Trying some new style of pitches this time, so I am unsure how the results will be.

Nice! Glad to have a friendly face there, Eisenheim! A lot of activity usually happens around lunch time. I rarely get anything on the morning tweets. I'm also two in, but one like thus far (but not from an agent or publisher - an LGBT news org liked it).

I feel bad for being down on small press, because they've really got it rough, but man, they really don't offer a whole lot that self-pub doesn't. Like if you've got no means of doing your own cover (or covering the costs of one), I guess, but yeesh.

Like when people talk about publishing dying, those are the guys getting killed. The big ones will be fine, on the whole, and selfpub will be fine, on the whole.

26 minutes ago, Eisenheim said:

I've  gotten likes from two small pressed at this point, but one looks kind of like a scam.

Which one? Pandamoon is often around, and they're more just super SUPER small. There are a few that don't do too badly. Generally if the AW thread on them is decent, I consider them. But I have a special place in my heart for small press and indie press, since my nonfiction stuff is with one, and I adore them. They really work their butts off for you, royalties tend to be better, and you get a lot of control (at least with the one I work with). You're trading away a heavy marketing machine though, so there is always that to consider.  

On June 27, 2016 at 2:02 PM, krystalynn03 said:

Has anyone ever done Camp NaNoWriMo?

No, but I hear about it all the time on Twitter. If you participate, give us the deets!

I gather it is basically the same as NaNoWriMo? Although maybe there are more defined groups? I dunno, I've done NaNoWriMo plenty - I think it's four years now, but never the Camp. Do you participate in November? I'm so darned competitive that I find it a great motivator. Is it still 1,667 words a day for a month?

So, on this subject, how many people here participate in November? We should set up a NaNo thread for encouragement and pep talks, etc.

I did NaNo for 3 years (I think) and then found the quality of writing I get out of it requires too much re-working.  However, it did get me in the groove of writing at set times.  I can knock out 1000 word now, no problem.

21 hours ago, kaisa said:

#DVpit still yielding amazing, mind blowing results. Just got another R&R request!!!!!

And a few more !!!!!!!!!! for good measure.

Congratulations. Go go go!

And I've always said I'll do Camp NaNoWriMo and then never do it. I do enjoy doing Nano every November, though - especially if I'm gearing up for a new project. I like to have an outline completely drawn up before hand and then I tend to write 2k for 6/7 days a week. I normally take Fridays off and then occasionally catch up on the weekends. 

Spieles, you describe my own strategy almost exactly. I'm just not sure I want to make another committment on the scale of NaNoWriMo again in the same year.

What I need is a faster-than-light ship so that I can go out in the morning and come back in the evening with 10 novels and 20 shorts stories.