Jezrien, Shards, and the identity of the Broken One

FirstSelector

I like it.

It's been bugging me for awhile that "The broken one" just doesn't make sense for Odium.  Honor would obviously fit as broken, however with Tavanast dead it can't really reign.  Jezrien picking up the largest piece would fit very nicely.

It's clearly well thought out - I like it ! 
I always thought that Odium is called the Broken One because every other shard seemed to be a good influence in their shardworlds, creating life and such things, but Odium is the only one that seeks power and causes destruction ( except Ruin who wanted to destroy the stuff he created togheter with Preservation ). Thus being broken in the sense of not functioning correctly. But i like yours one more !

I've seen these hints about Kelsier before, but I'm not sure what they reference. I read the Mistborn trilogy and AoL, admittedly awhile ago, but I don't remember anything about him obtaining any part of shard. Did I miss something or is it in another book?

• “The burdens of nine become mine. Why must I carry the madness of them all? Oh, Almighty, release me.”

—Dated Palaheses, 1173, unknown seconds pre-death. Subject: a wealthy lighteyes. Sample collected secondhand.[14]

I think this reinfoce your theory. 

Edited by Maresia

I like this a lot because of how fun it would be for the base ideas (Stormfather = Jesrien) to be right. Just like how I love the thought that telling the future is not bad but Odium corrupted the old Vorin people into believing it to be.

Very well thought out and very well supported. Upvote for you, good sah!

• “The burdens of nine become mine. Why must I carry the madness of them all? Oh, Almighty, release me.”
—Dated Palaheses, 1173, unknown seconds pre-death. Subject: a wealthy lighteyes. Sample collected secondhand.[14]

I think this reinfoce your theory. </p>

I assumed that referred to Taln getting extra torture after his buddies left him dead in hell.

I like most of this, but I am not sure it's entirely consistent. Namely:

• If Jezrien had taken up a large chunk of Honor's power, it would make him something unique - not a Sliver (which would require him to only hold the power briefly), and not a Shard (which would require him to, well, have the Shard). Slivers don't go insane, but they also don't hold the power for too long. Shards do hold the power for a long period of time, and they also avoid the insanity part. So while it is possible that holding a fraction of the power has some weird side effects, nothing points to that.
  • Why would his mind be separated from his body? 
  • Jezrien's age is unlikely to be the cause for any kind of mental damage. My best guess is that he has been alive for the 99 Desolations before the Everstorm, and unless those used to happen every generation or so, 4,500 years is not a very drastic amount of time for him. 

I think this reinfoce your theory.

I thought that death quote refered to the herald Taln stuck with holding up the oathpact when the other nine heralds gave up and left.

I thought the death quote referred to Taln as well, but "Why must I carry the madness of them all" doesn't seem to make much sense.  However, "The burdens of nine become mine" doesn't seem to make much sense for Jezrien either.  

In conclusion, I am just less certain about what that quote refers to.

I assumed that referred to Taln getting extra torture after his buddies left him dead in hell.

I thought that death quote refered to the herald Taln stuck with holding up the oathpact when the other nine heralds gave up and left.

thats true, mi mind totally skip that part. My bad

The source of the death rattles seems to be giving a mixture of 'types' of statements. Some seem prophetic, some seem to be from various deific viewpoints (heralds, gods etc), some even seem to be nothing more than what that person sees transitioning from the Physical through the Cognative to the Spiritual.

Perhaps this quote is in fact some insight into Heralds thoughts. Perhaps not just one. Is there any reason that the source giving mystical insight must have a person's last words all be from the same source? Maybe each person gives a type of death rattle, some has a view of Shadesmar or something, while another gives a prophecy. But in the case of insight into deific minds, could they not have three flashes from three minds, using a different sentence for each?

Perhaps this is not explained very well. My point was basically I could see both it referring to both Heralds.

Odium is away, Honor's holder died, wouldn't that make it more likely that Cultivation is the Broken One? After all, she is the only one who is still kickin, right? We also know she has gone through a bunch of trauma including Honor's fall and her new disinterest in mankind. I'm not trying to debunk this theory or anything, it just looks like Cultivation gets overlooked with both the Odium and Honor theories. I mean, Tanavast died and Odium is off on an evil vacation. That kind of only leaves one, right?

I think this is an excellent theory.  It is also presented beautifully.  Without challenging the base of the theory, I would like to suggest that part of the supporting evidence is more ambiguous than presented.  Specifically, it is unclear whether Darkness is referring to Jezrien or the new Azish ruler when he says "drooling."

Specifically, the nitpick I have is with the following:

This ... Darkness (almost certainly Nalan) references Jezrien as "drooling." This seems to imply that Jezrien has suffered some severe mental trauma that has left him weak-minded.  ...

The actual quote follows:

Clothing bloodied, his eyes wide, Gawx clutched a piece of paper in his hand. He thrust this at Darkness. “I pardon this girl. Release her, constable!”

“Who are you,” Darkness said, “to do such a thing?”

“I am the Prime Aqasix,” Gawx declared. “Ruler of Azir!”

“Ridiculous.”

“The Kadasixes have spoken,” said one of the scions.

“The Heralds?” Darkness said. “They have done no such thing. You are mistaken.”

“We have voted,” said a vizier. “This young man’s application was the best.”

“What application?” Darkness said. “He is a thief!”

“He performed the miracle of Regrowth,” said one of the older scions. “He was dead and he returned. What better application could we ask for?”

“A sign has been given,” said the lead vizier. “We have a Prime who can survive the attacks of the One All White. Praise to Yaezir, Kadasix of Kings, may he lead in wisdom. This youth is Prime. He has been Prime always. We have only now realized it, and beg his forgiveness for not seeing the truth sooner.”

“As it always has been done,” the elderly scion said. “As it will be done again. Stand down, constable. You have been given an order.”

Darkness studied Lift.

She smiled tiredly. Show the starvin’ man some teeth. That was the right of it.

His Shardblade vanished to mist. He’d been bested, but he didn’t seem to care. Not a curse, not even a tightening of the eyes. He stood up and pulled on his gloves by the cuffs, first one, then the other. “Praise Yaezir,” he said. “Herald of Kings. May he lead in wisdom. If he ever stops drooling.”

Darkness bowed to the new Prime, then left with a sure step.

The new Prime is being announced. It is logical to wish that he lead in wisdom.  He is also a young incompetent thief taking a job many others don't want.  Darkness echoes the lead vizier in the formulaic reference to Jezrien, but the "drooling" could apply to the new prime, Jezrien or both. 

It looks to me like 'Darkness (...) references Jezrien as "drooling."' overstates the certainty of the interpretation. I think 'Darkness may reference Jezrien as "drooling."' or something similar would be more accurate.

I like the theory simply because it's something that would appeal to Brandon's method of writing. He hasn't done something like this before. A broken God, who exists on two levels, one mostly consumed by Honor, one the vestige of what was not taken. Driven to madness and drooling in his own duality. It would be a fascinating view to write, and a beautiful dichotomy to explore!

hoser, that's a really good point.  In fact, with that and Argent's very good trio of objections I would like to amend my theory below.  My only counterargument to the "drooling" line is that the Emuli people hold the Heralds in very high regard.  It seems to me that both the vizier and Darkness seem to apply the line "may he lead in wisdom" to Jezrien in much the same way (In the Wheel of Time) the Seanchan would add "may she live forever" when referencing the Empress.

I do agree with you - perhaps Darkness was turning the phrase around to reference (in his mind) the incredibly foolish decision to let Lift go free.

Then, with those objections in mind, I can actually revise the last third of the theory.  In particular, being "Broken" would simply refer to many Desolations worth of torture and then the pain of betraying a friend and giving up the Oathpact.  Kalak (in the prelude) even refers to Jezrien as such:

Almighty above, Kalak thought. You're [Jezrien] broken too, aren't you?  They all were.  - WoK Prelude

As for Jezrien's status?  I would call him Shard-level power, as it would be equivalent to a Shard who has simply Invested a great deal into his world.  In this case, it wasn't by choice.

Thanks to everyone who read and commented!

I approve! Well thought, FirstSelector.

The new Prime is being announced. It is logical to wish that he lead in wisdom.  He is also a young incompetent thief taking a job many others don't want.  Darkness echoes the lead vizier in the formulaic reference to Jezrien, but the "drooling" could apply to the new prime, Jezrien or both. 

It looks to me like 'Darkness (...) references Jezrien as "drooling."' overstates the certainty of the interpretation. I think 'Darkness may reference Jezrien as "drooling."' or something similar would be more accurate.

Ah, the ambiguity of pronouns:

• Praise Yaezir,” he said. “Herald of Kings. May [Yaezir] lead in wisdom. If [Yaezir] ever stops drooling."
  • Praise Yaezir,” he said. “Herald of Kings. May [the Prime] lead in wisdom. If [the Prime] ever stops drooling." 

It's generally considered bad form to have a pronoun point to something other than the first preceding noun that qualifies, though. I think that makes it much more likely that we're referring to Jezrien drooling, here.

If Brandon intends the "he" to reference the Prime, than he's probably breaking the grammar rule* deliberately in order to deceive us.

*more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules. For example, I broke the rule two sentences after describing it.

Edited by Stoneward

I don't want to sidetrack a thread about a good theory, but what gives us surety that Honor was splintered? Is it only because that is what Odium did on Elantris?

The lack of rampant power running wild could perhaps be because the shard is still intact just without Tanavast as the holder?

I don't want to sidetrack a thread about a good theory, but what gives us surety that Honor was splintered? Is it only because that is what Odium did on Elantris?

The lack of rampant power running wild could perhaps be because the shard is still intact just without Tanavast as the holder?

Andrea Digney

Was Honor Splintered?

Brandon Sanderson

Was Honor Splintered? ooh someone's been paying attention, very much. I would say that yes Honor was Splintered. That is a very important question to be asking, someone really knows their stuff.

(source)

I like this theory a lot. I'm interested in what the distinction would be between Jezrien's standing and a Sliver.

<p>

I like most of this, but I am not sure it's entirely consistent. Namely:

• If Jezrien had taken up a large chunk of Honor's power, it would make him something unique - not a Sliver (which would require him to only hold the power briefly), and not a Shard (which would require him to, well, have the Shard). Slivers don't go insane, but they also don't hold the power for too long. Shards do hold the power for a long period of time, and they also avoid the insanity part. So while it is possible that holding a fraction of the power has some weird side effects, nothing points to that.
  • Why would his mind be separated from his body?
  • Jezrien's age is unlikely to be the cause for any kind of mental damage. My best guess is that he has been alive for the 99 Desolations before the Everstorm, and unless those used to happen every generation or so, 4,500 years is not a very drastic amount of time for him.

I always thought of a Sliver as holding a small amount of the Shard, but larger than a splinter. Do we have WOB stating it is the full shard but for a short time? TLR held it for quite some time, didn't he?

If splinter<Sliver<Shard is true, would Jezrien as the Stormfather be somewhere between Shard and Sliver?