Bands Of Mourning - meaning of the title.

Oversleep

Please, no spoilers, as I haven't read that yet.

I suppose that "of mourning" is from the verb "mourn", when somebody is very sad because somebody died.

When translating the word "bands" a problem arises. Which meaning of band is it?
The official translation has it like "armband" or "bandeau". Is it correct? Because it sounds a little... silly.

The title is a reference to the Lord Ruler's metalmind bracers, which are referred to as "the Bands of Mourning" in the post-Catacendric world.  Here is the cover blurb for the book:

With The Alloy of Law and Shadows of Self, Brandon Sanderson surprised readers with a New York Times bestselling spinoff of his Mistborn books, set after the action of the trilogy, in a period corresponding to late 19th-century America.

Now, with The Bands of Mourning, Sanderson continues the story. The Bands of Mourning are the mythical metalminds owned by the Lord Ruler, said to grant anyone who wears them the powers that the Lord Ruler had at his command. Hardly anyone thinks they really exist. But now a kandra researcher has returned to Elendel with images that seem to depict the Bands, as well as writings in a language that no one can read. Waxillium Ladrian is recruited to travel south to the city of New Seran to investigate, and along the way he discovers hints that point to the true goals of his uncle Edwarn and the shadowy organization known as The Set.

Would be there a reason not to translate them as "bracers"?

After quick research I found out that "bands of mourning" were part of clothing of a mourner. Therefore, the translation is perfectly accurate.

Edited by Oversleep

I'm under the impression that they are the armbands of the Lord Ruler. I hypothesis that they may be made of Nicrosil and Aluminum. And possibly store the essence of the Lord Ruler himself through Investiture and Identity.  He may have done this to ensure he returns to life should someone manage to kill him. I imagine that anyone attempting to tap into both bands would be forced to become Rashek.  Weather or not he retains his power I have no clue but that may be where Investiture comes in. Though, to be honest I thought that Investiture would just lock the identity in place it could bring his power along as well, we have no clue how investiture even works yet.  To be honest if we don't know what it does or where it came from we will eventually find out about its existence at least by the end of some future book I imagine.

I really hope I didn't spoil anything, it's just a hypothesis and I was not sure what book you have not read yet considering "Bands of Mourning" hasn't been released yet. In any case I'm sorry if I did.

From the impression I got, they are armbands. Round the bicep I'm pretty sure. By the way, the 'spoiler chapters' are just the chapters talked about in the above synopsis. Only one real spoiler in them, and we pretty much knew it was bound to be in this book.

Talkin bout Wax's sister, whatever her name is.

*Edit: Splellin Airors

Edited by The Ninja Yodeler

The way I see it, there's also a potential double-meaning to the title.

Spoilers for Shadows of Self:

The second meaning could be referring to how Wax being in a state of mourning is affecting his actions and judgement, sort of like shackles keeping him from acting completely as himself.

But that might just be a dumb theory. :)

The way I see it, there's also a potential double-meaning to the title.

Spoilers for Shadows of Self:

The second meaning could be referring to how Wax being in a state of mourning is affecting his actions and judgement, sort of like shackles keeping him from acting completely as himself.

But that might just be a dumb theory. :)

Honestly, I prefer that theory, given that

Both Alloy of Law and Shadows of Self had very metaphorical titles and it would seem odd to double down from that after half the series and return to the objects name the book theme. Even more so given that SoS was a bit of a bait and switch, what with the term also having been used to refer to Preservation in HoA.

Didn't the Lord Ruler try out having a family at some point, at least once, as per WoB? (Posting from my phone, so finding the link a is a pain). I wonder if the Band's of Mourning aren't for the Lord Ruler’s use, but for his presumably failed attempt at some sort of family.

(Anything more specific, even theories, and I think it's supposed to go on the Bands of Mourning spoiler board, but please correct me if I'm wrong!) :)

There is a WoB (somewhere) that the Lord Ruler had at least one child.

Baseless speculation, which I favor purely because I like it, is that his child, or one of his children, was named something close to Lutha, leading to the city name 'Luthadel' (paralleled with Elend/Elendel).

Don't we have a couple of WoBs, one regarding a child or partner possibly, and the other where he tried giving up the final empire? What if he lost this person and filled said bands as act of grief, then decided against it and hid them in case he needed a back up plan

You could very easily be right on that. I don't recall it being mentioned, now that I think of it... my mistake for assuming rings.

It's at least obliquely referenced in the wedding scene in Alloy of Law, though it's not 100% clear.

I'm under the impression that they are the armbands of the Lord Ruler. I hypothesis that they may be made of Nicrosil and Aluminum. And possibly store the essence of the Lord Ruler himself through Investiture and Identity.  He may have done this to ensure he returns to life should someone manage to kill him. I imagine that anyone attempting to tap into both bands would be forced to become Rashek.  Weather or not he retains his power I have no clue but that may be where Investiture comes in. Though, to be honest I thought that Investiture would just lock the identity in place it could bring his power along as well, we have no clue how investiture even works yet.  To be honest if we don't know what it does or where it came from we will eventually find out about its existence at least by the end of some future book I imagine.

I really hope I didn't spoil anything, it's just a hypothesis and I was not sure what book you have not read yet considering "Bands of Mourning" hasn't been released yet. In any case I'm sorry if I did.

Wasn't it in the text in Final Empire that they were Atium?

• Chaos locked this topic