X is Cosmere

Quiver

Sorry for the necro but i just found this thread and recently had a similiar discussion with a friend so i couldn´t resist

The Lightbringer Series (by Brent Weeks) is cosmere. The magic system and all the plot twist seem like things Sanderson would do.The Cherulean Sea could be a is Shardpool. Orholam and (only a name but a tiny spoiler for the broken eye)

Abbadon

are Shards. Even Hoid made an appearence as Rea Siluz, although not obvious he must have used lightweaving to disguise himself as a woman.

Sorry for the necro but i just found this thread and recently had a similiar discussion with a friend so i couldn´t resist

The Lightbringer Series (by Brent Weeks) is cosmere. The magic system and all the plot twist seem like things Sanderson would do.The Cherulean Sea could be a is Shardpool. Orholam and (only a name but a tiny spoiler for the broken eye)

Abbadon

are Shards. Even Hoid made an appearence as Rea Siluz, although not obvious he must have used lightweaving to disguise himself as a woman.

How large is the Cherulean "Sea?" Because Shardpools are usually much smaller. Also, what details about the magic system look like the Cosmere to you?

The Cherulean Sea is small enough to cross in about a day with a magical "motorboat" (made by creative use of the magicsystem) ,not sure if (WoR) theories have to be spoilered

for it to be a Shardpool the theory that the purelake is one would have to be correct (wanted to compare the size of those two but the maps have no scalebar)

. The magic system seems sandersonian to me firstly because it has clear limitations (the core principle is you can create matter from light with each color having diffrent propeties) but can be used extremly creativly  and secondly there is an outside source for the magic (light). Especially the last part is a constant for more or less all of sanderson cosmere works

Edited by Samaldin

The Cherulean Sea is small enough to cross in about a day with a magical "motorboat" (made by creative use of the magicsystem) ,not sure if (WoR) theories have to be spoilered

for it to be a Shardpool the theory that the purelake is one would have to be correct (wanted to compare the size of those two but the maps have no scalebar)

. The magic system seems sandersonian to me firstly because it has clear limitations (the core principle is you can create matter from light with each color having diffrent propeties) but can be used extremly creativly and secondly there is an outside source for the magic (light). Especially the last part is a constant for more or less all of sanderson cosmere works

I don't espouse that theory, if only because Shardpools are usually no bigger than your average hot tub. Also there's a volatility that the Purelake lacks.

Hmmmm. All valid points.

I guess what we CAN agree on is that there are at least 2 Shards on Equestria. That perhaps Earth Ponies, Pegasi and Unicorns are like Mistings and Alicorns are like Mistborn.

The Shardpool has not been discovered yet thus Pinky Pie is ruled out as a Worldhopper

Maybe the other Shard, Corruption? Deceit? Discord? spawned Changelings as well as Shadow Ponies, Umbrum, Windigos and any other "evil" being.

I know this is late, but for a shardpool, what about the Mirror Pond from the episode Too Many Pinky Pies?

More proof that Earth is Cosmere.

Thunderstorms are this planet's version of highstorms. The investiture is harnessed as electricity that we use in our fabrials. The phone is one of the most advanced fabrials with the changing of pixel colors (switching investiture to different gems of silicon, of course).

Also magnetism which was pointed out before.

The most beautiful part of our Earth's magic system is how the two manifestations (electricity and magnetism) work hand in hand.

There was something else I thought fit Cosmere but I can't remember so I'll post it later.

Edit: I remembered. I'm ashamed to be the one to say this but Kung Fu Panda is Cosmere. There is a Spirit Realm. :ph34r:

Edited by Eccentric Hero

• 2 months later...

Dragon Age (Video Games) Could be a part of the Cosmere!

Now hear me out, this actually makes sense. (This is a re-post, someone directed me here after I posted on the general discussion board.)

Also Spoiler Alert!!!!! This will have lots of spoilers for the three Dragon Age games. They are great games so play them and come back when you are done please!

Okay, so let me get into this. I was playing Dragon Age Inquisition and I started noticing some things. Maybe its all the Sanderson books I've been reading lately but I couldn't help seeing the similarities. the more I played, the more I thought they are similar. But toward the end of the game, I realized that the similarities are strong enough that I wouldn't be surprised to see Hoid showing up in Skyhold to impart some wisdom upon the inquisitor and tell tales with Varric.

Dragon Age is a fantasy series, sometimes called "dark fantasy" but the world is vibrant and super enjoyable. The world has Humans, Elves who used to be immortal but are now second class citizens, Dwarves, and Qunari who are grey skinned people with horns. Now I could go on forever but I wanna get right to the meat of things.

First of all, the nature of the world is strongly influenced by the interaction between the physical world and the Fade. the Fade is a place where people's minds go when they dream. It's a place shaped by the thoughts and emotions of the dreamers, and has spirits who represent a aspect or emotion of humanity (anger, sloth, wisdom, justice, ect) I think that there are a lot of parallels to the Fade and the Cognitive Realm. In the Fade, it is an unstable version of the real world that has different rules, but is tied to the world. The beings who live in the Fade embody a pure ideal, and can grant strength to men who uphold their ideal. However they cannot go against their nature without becoming corrupted. Now this is reminiscent of the Spren of Roshar, except that the spirits of the Fade don't just break, but they become the negative version of their ideal and become hostile and powerful. Imagine if the pain spren could enter the world and start causing pain to keep themselves alive. But the similarities are apparent.

The next thing I noticed that was very Cosmere-ish was magic. Instead of just learning spells, the castor needs to access the power that flows from the Fade, and the ability to use magic is a genetic ability. There is also a way to enhance magic power with fresh blood, using the life force of a person to fuel magic. This is reminiscent of Bloodscealing or Hemalergy. The idea that living energy can be used to enhance abilities feels like it fits with the workings of the Cosmere. They also can use magic to trap spirits and use them by creating a bond, but this is dangerous because the spirits are forced to change their nature. Sometimes however, a person exhibits a specific trait or need so powerfully that a spirit that resonates with another person can forma bond with that person, often saving them and granting them powers. There is even an example of a man who bonds with a spirit of Justice, but as the man changes from seeking justice to vengeance, he starts to slowly destroy the spirit that bonded to him to help him. Once again, similar to spren in execution, but different enough.

And Finally the biggest thing that made me want to make this post, there was a shard pool in the game! Toward the end of Dragon Age Inquisition, there is an ancient eleven temple that you are racing your enemies to reach before they do. They seek a power hidden in the Temple called the Well of Sorrows. The guardians of the temple are ancient elves from the old times who sleep until someone tries to invade the temple. When you make it to the Well, you find that it is a pool of smoky water that belongs to an old mythical being called Mythal. This being was a God that was worshiped who apparently still lives as a silent force. When your character steps into the pool you absorb the liquid and take it into yourself. your mind expands and fills with knowledge and power, the power you need to defeat your nemesis. As I watched how it was animated, I couldn't help but think about a shard pool. (If you want to see the Well of Sorrows Scene here is the link to a video of it. Start it at 7:35: )

Anyway, just thought I'd post this. I'll be surprised if very many people know what I'm talking about. It was just a fun Idea to imagine this as just another part of the wonderful Cosmere. Hope you liked this and I look forward to posting more random thoughts in the days to come!

Also if you like "Letters from the Cosmere" I will be releasing a new one very soon! I got super sick and fell way behind in my videos, but I'm just about caught up.

Edited by TheBlueShifting

On the Other Hand the Lightbringer Shardpool can lie beneath the Cerulean Sea or probably just secretly below the tower of the Drafters. Ask the old Guile, he probaly knows where it is.

I propose the Idea that the "Bad Guy's" Shardpool lies somewhere in the Everdark Gates.

Farther similarities are that the "seeds" strongly resemble Lerasium beads.

And, at last, remember that Sanderson said, that if he dies before his time, he'd like Brent Weeks to finish his work. Probably Brent Weeks is already plotting for that case...

• 2 weeks later...

Dune is cosmere. Arrakis is a minor shardworld, and spice is an invested substance that grants mental powers. Makers have a symbiosis with the local investiture a bit like chasmfiends do on Roshar, which is part of how their life cycle involves producing spice. The Bene Gesserit aren't knowledgeable in neurology like the books would have you think, they are actually aware in the cognitive realm. They can tell if somebody is lying because that has a big cognitive signature, and can even figure out how to say a command so that someone will follow it because they can read a person's cognitive aspect. The guild navigators can use spice to gain powers a bit like Taravangian's but not nearly as powerful as on the day of the diagram.

Eragon is cosmere. It's sort of like a not-quite-as-cool version of Roshar. Magic is stored in gemstones, you can make a nahel bond with dragons, and spirits are actually cognitive shadows a bit like spren. Shades are a bit like voidbringers, bonded to splinters of an evil shard. The various races were created by shards experimenting with the basic human template from Yolen. The magic system is fueled by the investiture of the user's spark of life, and requires a precise cognitive command, a bit like awakening does (the ancient language is the best way to issue commands). Galbatorix, after the death of his dragon, was mentally unstable and was thus rendered vulnerable to ruin's manipulation, which was why he became so insane but also powerful. Eldunari are gemhearts for dragons, but these can store the cognitive shadow of a dragon, keeping their spirit from going on to the great beyond. Mind reading / control used by some magic users is an instance of interaction in the cognitive realm.

Warhammer is cosmere. A sort of screwy version of it. The chaos gods, eldar gods, c'tan, and emperor are all shards. The warp is actually a twisted version of the cognitive realm, and daemons are splinters of the chaos gods. People in this universe think their inquisitors are scary but they have no idea. They should see the ones on Scadrial.

On August 8, 2016 at 7:06 PM, Drake Marshall said:

Eragon is cosmere. It's sort of like a not-quite-as-cool version of Roshar. Magic is stored in gemstones, you can make a nahel bond with dragons, and spirits are actually cognitive shadows a bit like spren. Shades are a bit like voidbringers, bonded to splinters of an evil shard. The various races were created by shards experimenting with the basic human template from Yolen. The magic system is fueled by the investiture of the user's spark of life, and requires a precise cognitive command, a bit like awakening does (the ancient language is the best way to issue commands). Galbatorix, after the death of his dragon, was mentally unstable and was thus rendered vulnerable to ruin's manipulation, which was why he became so insane but also powerful. Eldunari are gemhearts for dragons, but these can store the cognitive shadow of a dragon, keeping their spirit from going on to the great beyond. Mind reading / control used by some magic users is an instance of interaction in the cognitive realm

Awww... I was going to say that. It just seems to make sense. And how elves can run really fast, but the magic lets them keep their balance, and they feel really tired and dried out afterwords seems just like Pewter running to me.

2 minutes ago, Renoux said:

And how elves can run really fast, but the magic lets them keep their balance, and they feel really tired and dried out afterwords seems just like Pewter running to me.

I don't recall that, although I have to admit I'm repressing Eragon books.

43 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

I don't recall that, although I have to admit I'm repressing Eragon books.

Did you absolutely loathe them as well? I was so disgusted when I finished the series. It had such potential and it was all wasted. Ah well. I have to stop thinking about it or my coworkers will wonder why I am yelling angrily at the screen; well, actually, they will probably just assume my code broke haha.

edit: In order to stay on topic I want to put out the theory that Terminator is Cosmere; each Terminator is a hemalurgic construct and they have discovered how to "world hop".

Edited by CaptainRyan

24 minutes ago, CaptainRyan said:

Did you absolutely loathe them as well? I was so disgusted when I finished the series. It had such potential and it was all wasted.

I liked the first book very much (after all, I was young at the time and hadn't read much of the classic fantasy). But after I became better versed in fantasy and popculture, I realized that the whole Inheritance Cycle is just Star Wars rehashed as fantasy. And I don't mean that it just shares some tropes with it.
Also, the fourth book was... I mean, I don't remember it well, but I remember some bad plots.

Ah well. I have to stop thinking about it or my coworkers will wonder why I am yelling angrily at the screen; well, actually, they will probably just assume my code broke haha.

Code not working is an absolutely fine excuse to yell angrily at the screen :P

edit: In order to stay on topic I want to put out the theory that Terminator is Cosmere; each Terminator is a hemalurgic construct and they have discovered how to "world hop".

I disagree - no magic there. At all. Let's leave Robot Revolt where it belongs.

Edited by Oversleep

4 hours ago, CaptainRyan said:

Did you absolutely loathe them as well? I was so disgusted when I finished the series. It had such potential and it was all wasted. Ah well. I have to stop thinking about it or my coworkers will wonder why I am yelling angrily at the screen; well, actually, they will probably just assume my code broke haha.

In all fairness... The books had some creative features, and the skill of writing wasn't terrible. Then that is probably why you describe them as having potential.

They did end up disappointingly shallow; it could have gone in a lot of interesting directions. They certainly didn't come close to rivaling the cosmere (although again to be fair that's a very harsh scale to judge a book by).

Also debugging can occasionally lead to these things yes. Nobody will ask any questions.

The Thief games (1-3 at least, haven't played the newest one) could be Cosmere. The Builder and the Trickster seem like opposing shards to me. Both sides have real magic, and while a lot of it seems kinda eclectic and soft, it feels like there are underlying rules.

The Glyphs are an odd case, but I'd peg them as the lingering power of a third shard which has been splintered.

Edited by Cartographer7

On 12/26/2015 at 9:57 PM, Landis963 said:

Star Wars.  Star Wars is "obviously" Cosmere because the Force power set is very Shard-esque.  I suspect it has something to do with a hypothetical shard of Valor.  

Darth Maul must be a voidbringer... It all fits...

Edited by Drake Marshall

On 8/22/2016 at 4:47 AM, Darkness Ascendant said:

I remember this thread. I also remember having a very lengthy conversation on how MLP is cosmere XD

I still think all the conclusions we came to are valid (minus of course the ones involving the movies, which are set on Earth, etc. etc.).  Of course, this is coming from a relative MLP layman with passable google-fu and access to TV tropes, but still.  

23 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

Hm... I know a good way to determine if something is cosmere...

Can anyone think of something that has a character that could be hoid? That's a lot of how people put together the greater cosmere in the first place.

With a bit of thought, one could probably point at a host of characters, in various and sundry works, that "could" be Hoid.  The problem comes in when one needs to narrow the field.  (At which point things like "It doesn't take place on Earth" become very important)

4 hours ago, Alfa said:

I am still convincecd that Tom Bombadil from LOTR ist Hoid after he decided to settle down. Adonalsium is Illuvatar, and Middle-Earth is some kind of Yolen restored.

The Valar are the shard-holders...

19 hours ago, Elenion said:

The Valar are the shard-holders...

But shards of a new kind of shattering, since the intents don't seem to fit with the present ones. Likely Illuvatar-self-induced. But guess what? There are fourteen known Valar + Melkor. Not that much of a stretch to assume a sixteenth somewhere. Probably some non-particaipation-oath guy. Likely you'll find traces of him or her all over the pages.