Chapters 3-5 up on Tor

The Rooster

I am not up to date on the current state of Herald tracking, but could this mean we saw Chach or alternatively a future radiant of his order? Isn't there a slight correlation to the herald symbol on the chapter and the chapter having something to do with that herald?

The Radiant in Dalinar's vision was definitely Order 3/Dustbringers - red (ruby) Shardplate glow, Friction Surge usage.

Edited by Moogle

Sorry in advance, but these are going to be out of order from the chapters given. I'm writing them as I think them.

First, there's no way that the potential for the glyph to have a dual meaning of death and broken is a mistake.

I still think it may be too early for the desolation, but SOMETHING major is going to happen. I just hope that this book doesn't end 60 days after the end of that chapter. Here's hoping it is the climax of the book, similar to the Tower chapters in the first one.

Shallan's a lightweaver, right? If so, that name makes me really think of Hoid's story to Kaladin. It also might explain why they would attract liespren.

Well, for any who may have missed the fact that Shallan has a shardblade, after reading her chapter, you certainly can't deny it now.

I must say that I am surprised at the amount of information that Brandon have given out in these passages regarding the nature of spren, investiture, Knights Radiant, etc. It almost feels like he doesn't want us doing new theories (kidding - mostly).

Kaladin almost dropping his spear was pretty priceless, as was his comment about how he would enter, especially since he really could with no special equipment. The naturalness of taking in Stormlight is also interesting and seems to contrast with Szeth, who seems to need to actively take in Stormlight.

The plan to have Adolin duel other Shardbearers to grab their Shards is going to be a lot of fun. Unfortunately, I can't help but expect it to backfire in some way.

What else can I say? Seven weeks seems too far away.

@shadewolf, The dates of the epigraphs in Way of Kings cover a 1129 day period, from [1171-6-5-1] to [1173-9-2-4].   1000 days after the first epigraph (aka "but a thousand days, and the Everstorm comes") would be [1173-6-5-1] 62 days before that would be [1173-5-2-4].  My point is that it seems too early in the year to match up.  It seems more likely to me that we are either near the beginning or middle of Betab (7th month).

@dionysus, it's difficult to know for sure what the chapter headings means.  It could be a related to Dustbringers, the Herald herself, or simply bravery or obedience.  Probably not the Herald herself, since I think we would have noticed her.   (I mistakenly referred to Chach as male earlier.)

@Moogle, Yeah, I wonder if that Chach should have been used for chapter 4 instead of 5 then.  Chapter 4 is the one with the highstorm vision, and it got double Ishar.

Edited by Cheese Ninja

I have not read it yet, just popped it open, but I want to say....

This is ONE of the many reasons I really like Brandon Sanderson. "Be sure and check back for further excerpts and sneak peeks" ....

I cannot wait for March. 

I don't think those would be page numbers.  I sincerely doubt that they would release over a tenth of the book, WoR is only 1088 pages long after all.

In WoK, Ch. 5 ended on page 92.  Also, they released over a tenth of WoK before the book was available.

Don't read the next comment the wrong way, I loved each of the chapters so far. But for me personally, I wish they would have limited the early released chapters to the prologue and ch. 1-3.  That would have been a good tease and a hook.  I would have preferred to have more of the book unread by the time I get it in my hands.  But, my anticipation level has been so high that I just can't resist reading.  ^_^

Edit: As for Shallan locking down her spren by recording it, it is possible that it would not work that way with Nahel spren.  Also, the Geranid interlude only established that relationship for a quantitative measurement.  Would the same necessarily apply for a qualitative measurement? 

Edited by Shardlet

I think the Oathpact was an agreement between Odium and Honor that stated Odium could only attack the world at certain times or with limited power, and in exchange Honor's Heralds would be forced to go to Odium's "realm" where Odium would be allowed to do whatever he wanted to them.

I think you are onto something here.

I think further that Odium would be allowed free reign only when all 10 heralds quit, by breaking the oathpact, I think the 9 heralds became susceptible to Odium's influence. Odium is still somewhat limited since Taln remains and this might be the reason he could let them choose a champion.

And leading on from this, I believe that the heralds(other than Taln) could end up as one of the big bads or atleast the agents of Odium. The prologue suggests they are getting worse, and the reason for these effects are probably linked to Gavilar triggering a desolation. 

Szeth is being groomed to be Odium's champion and he seems to hate himself plenty already. Chances are book 5 will end with the confrontation between Kaladin and Szeth, which Kaladin wins presumably. But the problem of Odium will still remain and he will probably only be shattered or reformed/fused with Honor(Wit's part in this series?) in Book 10.

Patterns:

Assuming that Jasnah is correct (or her sources are) and they are liespren....is that spren that would be "honor" or "cultivation" associated? Sounded kinda ominous to me...and so did Jasnah's spren (oily and dark - what are THEY I wonder?) especially since the cryptics are in conflict with honorspren...that doesn't seem to bode well to me...

@shadewolf, The dates of the epigraphs in Way of Kings cover a 1129 day period, from [1171-6-5-1] to [1173-9-2-4].   1000 days after the first epigraph (aka "but a thousand days, and the Everstorm comes") would be [1173-6-5-1] 62 days before that would be [1173-5-2-4].  My point is that it seems too early in the year to match up.  It seems more likely to me that we are either near the beginning or middle of Betab (7th month).

I don't mean to imply that the dates match up, I'm just saying that all the epigraphs happen by the end of WoK. That and the fact that in the endnote there's another death quote along with a journal entry from someone working under Taravangian, dated also on 9-2-4.

Is it possible their is a surgebinding for foreseeing the future? And Dalniar foresaw something in his sleep and his spren somehow compelled him to write what he saw on the wall. There are a lot of holes here but we know so LITTLE about the bondsmiths....

My theory about the Cryptics is that they gain power from hidden truths and that the difference between the name that they give themselvs and the names that others use has to with how one views the methods that they use to keep these hidden.

I imagine that this could be why they were so attracted to Shallan, she keeps so much hidden even from herself. I think that she will strengthen the bond between her and her spren by revealing some of her secrets to it leading into her flashback chapters.

Chapter 3 icon - I assume Shallash - fits Shallan

Chapter 4 icon - Ishar? - for visions from the spiritual realm, Navani, Dalinar, Glyphwriter as future order 10 knights? I think Navani might be likeliest.  

Chapter 5 icon Chach - Moash as future order 3 knight?

The fire and the bravery fits.  In tWoK Kaladin struggled over leading and Dalinar struggled over resoluteness.  If Moash were to become an order 3 knight, his struggle would be over obedience. 

I don't mean to imply that the dates match up, I'm just saying that all the epigraphs happen by the end of WoK. That and the fact that in the endnote there's another death quote along with a journal entry from someone working under Taravangian, dated also on 9-2-4.

Yeah, you might be right, and I might be wrong, but we can't really say for sure yet.  Unless Peter or Brandon wants to give us a date for something that happened to Kaladin since he became Bridgeleader?  From there we could approximate the rest fairly well.  Otherwise, things are far too fuzzy.

So in chapter 3, Jasnah surges being separated by idea and physical. Is soulcasting more physical or idea based, considering how closely it's tied to the cognitive realm? I'm working on a theory that all the surges on the left of the chart are idea(cognitive) based, and those on the right are physical based.

So in chapter 3, Jasnah surges being separated by idea and physical. Is soulcasting more physical or idea based, considering how closely it's tied to the cognitive realm? I'm working on a theory that all the surges on the left of the chart are idea(cognitive) based, and those on the right are physical based.

Transformation changes the essence of an object, so it's probably Spiritual. A case could be made for it being Cognitive since it involves Shadesmar, but that just seems to be a stepping stone for what it actually does.

Edited by Moogle

Pfft. You haven't seen the hook(s) yet.

We have Shallan meeting her spren, death threats, Ivory, namedropping Shards and Surges, Kal hitting it of with El over shared paranoia, Dalinar naming and putting into action his reunification plans, while Moash gets a good character milestone under the hood, and the we haven't gotten to the hooks?! Never a dull moment on Roshar, is there?

Just had a thought.... what would it be like to be a non-17thShardian (dunno what else to call us) to be reading these chapters?

there's like... a crap ton of name drops and just Cosmere theories galore in here.
There's just a lot of stuff going on that I don't think I'd have nearly as good a grasp on if I didn't browse and participate on these forums.

Just had a thought.... what would it be like to be a non-17thShardian (dunno what else to call us) to be reading these chapters?

there's like... a crap ton of name drops and just Cosmere theories galore in here.

There's just a lot of stuff going on that I don't think I'd have nearly as good a grasp on if I didn't browse and participate on these forums.

But WoK has enough to lay a foundation, and it's supposed to be a little overwhelming - but not so much it's apparently not-quite-hooks don't sink in.

Do you realize there are over  FIFTY people reading this RIGHT NOW!! I don't know of I should kiss you or Skai(<-- LoL slap*) you for teasing me with MORE WoR. You bastard! I love you.

@Kurkistan: I rolled off the bed when I read that, my ribs still hurt :P . WHY Lie-spren?? Every other spren is attracted to it's namesake, but the Cryptics ask for truth. Are they attracted to people who lie to themselves?

Do you realize there are over FIFTY people reading this RIGHT NOW!! I don't know of I should kiss you or Skai(<-- LoL slap*) you for teasing me with MORE WoR. You bastard! I love you.

@Kurkistan: I rolled off the bed when I read that, my ribs still hurt :P . WHY Lie-spren?? Every other spren is attracted to it's namesake, but the Cryptics ask for truth. Are they attracted to people who lie to themselves?

The law of supply and demand means that a truth from a liar is a lot more powerful, right? So liespren take power from truth given reluctantly, and surrounded with lies.

If you guys put the hook with a few more chapter as bait I will fall for it a happy man =)

About the troop of semi-radiant dudes, I was thinking, some of the bridgemen had odd "healings" after they come in contact with Kaladin.
See Dabbid that had a would that should have killed, Teft with the arrow in the shoulder, Skar with a arrow in the foot all.

In on POV Teft commented that he wasn't felling as much pain as he should.

Maybe the radiant have some kind of area of affect power tha let them share a fraction of their power with their man.

For what understand there are Power Levels in the Radiand order. (see sly recent comment),maybe a full Radiant  could share a little of stormlight with his men, what would explain the comment in the first book "I can't pomise a place in any order but you could be a soldier" in Dalinar vision.

And we have confirmation thatt exist 4 levels of super sayadin (they already change eye color if they turn blond i will laugh rivers) Knight Radiants. =)

Maybe in the last level indeed they summon their "gold armor" =)

Edited by Natans