Pronunciation?

TheShogun

So there are various pronunciations that I wonder about in TWoK:

1. Numuhukumakiaki'aialunamor (Rock's real name)
  2. Jah Keved
  3. Szeth
  4. Taravangian
  5. Aimia
  6. Sadeas 

And probably more that I'm forgetting at the moment.

My best guesses for these:

1. new-moo-who-koo-mah-key-ah-key-ay-ee-ah-loon-ah-more
  2. yah keh-ved
  3. zeth
  4. tar-ah-van-gee-an
  5. ay-me-ah
  6. Sad-ah-as

However, these are just guesses. The only WoB is that the "J" in Jasnah is pronounced as a "Y" (hence the pronunciation of Jah Keved.

Any disagreements? Other words that are ambiguous?

Edited by TheShogun

I always pronunciated Szeth like this "Zetti" =) I know that my pronunciation is wrong but this is the name a famous soccer keeper and that kind stuck in my mind =P

Numuhukumakiaki'aialunamor, my ex, how are very articulate, always teased me saying Rock full name without miss a beat just because she could, and I never was able too say without tie my tongue soo i very pretty sure that i know the correct pronunciation of this one.

I pronunciate  Jah Keved = "Ia" Keved and  like Jasnah = "Iasna". Kind like in latin you could say and "Jus" or "Ius"

Putting in simple terms if i need say aloud the names of the character nobody would be able to understand what I'm saying.=)

Edited by Natans

Feather does a pretty good job of pronouncing Rock's name.

Jah Keved I pronounce the same as Jasnah with the "y" sound.

Szeth, I just say Seth.  Because Hungarian pronunciation rules... (in Hungarian "sz" corresponds to the English "s", Hungarian "s" corresponds to English "sh" so Budapest would be pronounced like Budapesht)

Sadeas... I say Sah-DEE-us.

I tried /j/ with the "J" letter, but despite the IPA's best effort it's not going to happen; it's /ʤ/ for me invariably. In contrast, Taravangian is a hard /g/, not /ʤ/.

Seth, Ay-MEE-uh, and Sa-DAY-uhs round out the others.

Oh yeah, and "Rock."

I am probably pretty unique in this, but I pronounce Aimia as ah-EE-mee-ah, to account for the symmetry. I don't really know if holy symmetry is only for spelling, but once I read about that I thought Aimia sounded really cool this way.

I pronounce Valhav as VAL-av, with no H, for the same reason.

Jesrien/Jezerezeh: YEZ-ree-en/YEZ-er-ez-eh

Elhokar: EL-oh-kar

Jashah: YAHZ-nah

Kholin: ko-LIN

Edited by GreyPilgrim

I have a tendency to look at names and decide on it's pronunciation REGARDLESS of how it is spelt

1. Numuhukumakiaki'aialunamor (Rock's real name)                            Rock
  2. Jah Keved                                                                                          Jah Ka Ved
  3. Szeth                                                                                                  Seth
  4. Taravangian                                                                                       The King of Karbranth
  5. Aimia                                                                                                  Ah mee Ah
  6. Sadeas                                                                                               Sa dee as

An advantage to listening exclusively to audiobooks is that I am given the pronunciation for all of the words. Which is great!

For those who don't know, the book is read by two people. All of the male POVs are read by Michael Kramer, and all of the female POVs are read by Kate Reading. If you are interested in what they sound like, chapters 4, 5 and 6 are available on the Tor website here.

Except for when Michael Kramer and Kate Reading disagree and pronounce things differently.

The two most notable of these are the Devotaries and Sadeas.

Word                      Michael Pronunciation                  Kate Pronunciation 

Devotaries             devo-TAries                                  DEVot-aries  

Sadeas                  Sad-eas                                        sa-Deas

I tend to use Kate's version of the devatories, as it comes up more often in the Shallan parts, and use Michael's for Sadeas, as he says the name way more often. Kate Reading only says it in the Navani POV near the end.

• 2 weeks later...

Kaladin

Kah-lah-din? Kah-lah-deen? Kaladin like Aladdin the movie with a k?

Shallan

Shall-un? Shuh-lawn?

I say Kaladin like Aladdin, but emphasis on the first syllable so KA-la-din.

I'm pretty sure Brandon says Shuh-lawn, but that just doesn't seem natural to me so I read as Sha-lan (like 'land' without the d)

Feather does a pretty good job of pronouncing Rock's name.

Jah Keved I pronounce the same as Jasnah with the "y" sound.

Szeth, I just say Seth.  Because Hungarian pronunciation rules... (in Hungarian "sz" corresponds to the English "s", Hungarian "s" corresponds to English "sh" so Budapest would be pronounced like Budapesht)

Sadeas... I say Sah-DEE-us.

Welp, I was gonna come in here to link to my Rock pronunciation but Weiry did it for me! Woo! I did a pronunciation thing with a bunch of cosmere names a while ago, but it's out of date and I've changed things since then. My Szeth pronunciation is more accurate in the Rock recording, and I've changed my Shallan from SHAH-lin to Brandon's shuh-LAHN, (or for those who read IPA: from [ˈʃa lɪn] to [ʃə 'lan]) and my pronunciation of Jasnah from JAZ-nuh to YAZ-nuh, (IPA: [ˈdʒaz nə] to [ˈjaz nə])

One of these days I'll re-record an updated version that doesn't sound like crap and has my more recent pronunciations.

I didn't know that Jasnah was pronounced with a "y". Dang it, now I'll have five more names to relearn. 

Humorous story: Due to my habit of reading too fast for my brain to process, I thought that Gavilar was spelled Galivar. Unfortunately, I was reading the book aloud to my mother and actually looked at the name clearly when I read it. My brain shut down for five minutes as I tried to reason through what just happened.

My list of pronunciations:

Kaladin: KAL-a-din (similar to Aladdin, but with more stress on the first syllable.)

Shallan: Shall (as in "shall we?")- en

Jah Keved: Jah Ke-VED (I pronounce all Js with a hard sound, ie. f-JOR-den. I know this is incorrect, but my brain is stupid)

Szeth: This one was a doozy. I settled on a tzzz sound. Or, if I'm lazy, hard Z sound. So, Zeth.

Aimia: Ay-me-uh

Sadeas: Say-de-us

Rock's impossible name: Noo-moo-hoo-koo-mah-key-ah-key-ay-uh-loo-man-or. 

Jasnah: Jazz-nuh.

Now that I know that most of these are incorrect, I shall spend a day in mourning, then try and memorize the new pronunciations.

Ah, don't feel bad. I'm from the south, so I already have a tendency to pronounce things weird. Some words I'll say with something that others might describe as a thick American accent, and other things I say with a much foreigner feel to it, ie. Rai-oh-den instead of Ray-oh-den. It's just my weird quirk.

Ever since I got smacked in the face with Vin and Kelsier being French names, instead of worrying about pronunciations I think of something Terry NotPratchett what'shisname oh, right Goodkind said about his character Kahlan. Enjoy the story, say the name however you like, even if you pronounce it "yellow!"

And then I look around the weird chull words at all the English surrounding them, and I imagine Brandon sitting at his writing desk with his writing implements and I think this guy is American. What are "writing implements?" I should have said computer. I feel like I should say them like the Amreeki would.

And then I go ahead and say them in my native Arabic.

Is Ray-oh-den generally accepted?

I'd always pronounced it Row-den (where row is rout without the t)

RAY-oh-den would be the correct "in-world" pronunciation.  It has to do with how Aons are pronounced, disyllabic with hard vowels and stress on the first syllable.

RAY-oh-den would be the correct "in-world" pronunciation.  It has to do with how Aons are pronounced, disyllabic with hard vowels and stress on the first syllable.

I did not know that. Hmm. Now I'm going to slap myself thousands of times whenever I read it.

Sorry for the double post, but I think Brandon has something to add: (Words of Radiance chapter spoilers)

He [Rock] pronounced the name “kal-ah-deen,” instead of the normal “kal-a-din.”

That's from the new WoR chapters that just got released. 

Edited by FeatherWriter
Hiding WoR spoilers