Pet Peeves

Sarcasm

24 minutes ago, Sunbird said:

The bus ride this afternoon was actually really horrible for that exact reason: some girl was chomping on gum and cracking bubbles so loudly that I literally could not drown her out even with the music in my headphones turned up to full volume. I broke down in tears once I got off, and that was only after about 8 minutes of having to listen to her.

I usually don't cry; I just want to scream in the loud chomper's face to STAAAAHHHHHHP DO YOU HEAR WHAT YOU SOUND LIKE???? DO YOU??? DO YOU WANT ME TO SHOW YOU BECAUSE I WILL STORMING SHOW YOU!!!! Hard candies, cough drops, and candies like caramels and taffy are my personal nemeses, but if I've learned one thing, it's that anything can be smacked and slurped to oblivion if the person chewing it is dedicated enough. I'd always thought bananas were a fairly safe food, but one day I was behind the counter (this was when I worked retail) and a mom and daughter came in to do a return, and the daughter decided to eat a banana…..

*shudder* 

The noises she made haunt me to this very day. 

1 hour ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

I usually don't cry; I just want to scream in the loud chomper's face to STAAAAHHHHHHP DO YOU HEAR WHAT YOU SOUND LIKE???? DO YOU??? DO YOU WANT ME TO SHOW YOU BECAUSE I WILL STORMING SHOW YOU!!!! Hard candies, cough drops, and candies like caramels and taffy are my personal nemeses, but if I've learned one thing, it's that anything can be smacked and slurped to oblivion if the person chewing it is dedicated enough. I'd always thought bananas were a fairly safe food, but one day I was behind the counter (this was when I worked retail) and a mom and daughter came in to do a return, and the daughter decided to eat a banana…..

*shudder* 

The noises she made haunt me to this very day. 

@Sunbird @TwiLyghtSansSparkles I am totally on board with you guys. ^This is more like me, but my nemesis is anything crunchy. I was in a sandwich shop one time and this guy opened a bag of chips in line and was crunching and smacking with his maw open like an animal while he was giving his order. It took everything in me not to snatch his bag away and say "You'll get this back when you've learned basic manners, you cow!"

Also, retail is the worst for that kind of thing. I worked retail for awhile and someone came to the front counter with half of a fast food burger and stood there and finished it, dropping lettuce and mustard all over the counter (and breathing really heavily while eating it for some reason), and refused to talk to anyone until he was done. He wouldn't let anyone else in line go before him, either! People Customers are the worst. 

Seriously, I think we all have misophonia. Lol

4 hours ago, Slowswift said:

Fonts without kerning.

I mean, it's not really that big a deal, but it's so annoying when something like "AWESOME" gets rendered as essentially "A WESOME". Throws me off every time.

What's worse are those cliche, overused fonts like Papyrus, Comic Sans, or Cooper Black. It seems like every small business uses one of the three.

5 hours ago, Slowswift said:

Fonts without kerning.

I mean, it's not really that big a deal, but it's so annoying when something like "AWESOME" gets rendered as essentially "A WESOME". Throws me off every time.

48 minutes ago, Elenion said:

What's worse are those cliche, overused fonts like Papyrus, Comic Sans, or Cooper Black. It seems like every small business uses one of the three.

This conversation reminds me of this meme:

first-day-of-class-i-think-im-going-to-l

10 hours ago, Elenion said:

Well, if all you've got is Microsoft Word to work with... :P 

9 hours ago, Sunbird said:

This conversation reminds me of this meme:

first-day-of-class-i-think-im-going-to-l

:D 

IIRC, most of my teachers didn't care -- it just had to be legible, no joke fonts, etc. I had a preference for Book Antiqua and used it with no problem.

7 hours ago, Slowswift said:

Well, if all you've got is Microsoft Word to work with... :P 

:D 

IIRC, most of my teachers didn't care -- it just had to be legible, no joke fonts, etc. I had a preference for Book Antiqua and used it with no problem.

I used to be the only one in the class to use a laptop, so when making a test I always used a symbol font (the impossible to read ones) and then converted it back to normal when handing in the test. I don't think anybody ever cheated by watching my screen ;).

2 hours ago, kenod said:

I used to be the only one in the class to use a laptop, so when making a test I always used a symbol font (the impossible to read ones) and then converted it back to normal when handing in the test. I don't think anybody ever cheated by watching my screen ;).

You are an evil genius.

The fact that when people think of my school, when they hear the name Columbine, the first thing they think about isn't the awesome community we've built and maintained. It isn't our school spirit, or our helpful nature, our persistence, or our sportsmanship at athletic events. It isn't our generosity, the amount of charity work we do, or the fact that we, as a  community, give more at blood drives than any other school in the state. No, the first thing they think of, the one thing that defines us in the eyes of others, is that two people shot and killed thirteen others on April 20, 18 years ago. It peeves me that we haven't been allowed to move past that in the eyes of others, and it peeves me that that's the only thing they ever think about and is worth remembering about us.

Edited by Silverblade5

1 minute ago, Silverblade5 said:

The fact that when people think of my school, when they hear the name Columbine, the first thing they think about isn't the awesome community we've built and maintained. It isn't our school spirit, or our helpful nature, our persistence, or our sportsmanship at athletic events. It isn't our generosity, the amount of charity work we do, or the fact that we, as a  community, give more at blood drives than any other school in the state. No, the first thing they think of, the one thing that defines us in the eyes of others, is that two people shot and killed thirteen others on April 20, 18 years ago. It peeves me that we haven't been allowed to move past that in the eyes of others, and it peeves me that that's the only thing they ever think about and is worth remembering about us.

When I was a sophomore, a student from my high school killed both of his parents. I had met him several times before, and two friends of mine had dated him, so the tragedy was an even harsher blow for my group of friends than it was for most of the rest of the school. 

Now, as for the tragedy itself, it happened at the student's house, nowhere near the school we all attended. It didn't happen during school hours (it was in the afternoon, I believe). Both of his parents were teachers, but neither worked at our school. No staff members from our school were involved, and from any sensible person's perspective, this horrible event had absolutely nothing to do with our school. 

Yet when it came time to report on the tragedy, where did the media go? That's right—my high school. They argued that it was to get perspectives from his classmates, try to figure out what their read on him was. Sure, we said. That's fine. You've got a story to tell, so tell it and leave us alone. But they didn't leave us alone. Every time there was a new development in the case—and I mean every time this kid so much as sneezed—the media came knocking at our door. It got to the point where our principal told them, okay, if you insist on interviewing someone at our school, interview me, but you're not coming inside and you're not talking to any of my students. 

When it comes to tragedies, people latch onto a symbol. Sometimes that symbol is randomly selected by the media, as it was with my high school. Other times, it's the site of the tragedy, as it is with Columbine. That's human nature. But when you don't allow the people occupying that symbol to move on from the tragedy—when you force them to be defined by it, to be, as one writer for the school newspaper said, "that one school," that is when you've crossed a line. 

1 hour ago, Silverblade5 said:

Oh...that does sound annoying. I mean, yes, it is sad that something like that happened, but it was 18 years ago. Chances are, almost none of the teachers are still there, and definitely none of the students. It's sad they can't look past what happened and see the school for what it is now.

18 minutes ago, A Budgie said:

Oh...that does sound annoying. I mean, yes, it is sad that something like that happened, but it was 18 years ago. Chances are, almost none of the teachers are still there, and definitely none of the students. It's sad they can't look past what happened and see the school for what it is now.

Many of the teachers are still there. They're some of the most dedicated people I've had the privilege of knowing. My track coach has been there since the 80s.

"I need help. Instead of approaching the librarian from an angle that will let her see me, I'm going to stand at the other end of the desk where she obviously isn't looking, and wait until I get so annoyed that I loudly smack my lips in dissatisfaction, which will FINALLY cause her to look at me! For bonus points, my problem will be one that I could have solved in less than a minute if I had simply looked at the holds shelf when I walked in!"

"Okay, I will not fall asleep at this lecture. I am listening and I am not completely lost about what the lecture is about. It's gonna be alri-" *wakes up 45 minutes later* <_<

Lecture at 7:30 am, comfortable, soft seats and dimmed light so we could see the screen better is not helping.

And coffee does some things to my digestive system so I use it sparely when I really need to.

3 hours ago, Oversleep said:

"Okay, I will not fall asleep at this lecture. I am listening and I am not completely lost about what the lecture is about. It's gonna be alri-" *wakes up 45 minutes later* <_<

Lecture at 7:30 am, comfortable, soft seats and dimmed light so we could see the screen better is not helping.

And coffee does some things to my digestive system so I use it sparely when I really need to.

What class is this in?