Theory: Ghostbloods are trying to bring back the Heirocracy

Elementalist

Alright, before I start, I'll warn you guys that this theory has almost no evidence behind it at all. It just has that "Brandon Sanderson plot twist" feeling to it.

We know that Kabsal was a Ghostblood. However, he was also very good at playing the part of an ardent. In fact, the only time we saw his true nature was when he began to rage about how beaten-down the ardentia was. He claimed that the ardents had become property to the Brightlords, and that people ignored them. This leads me to believe that Kabsal really was an ardent, and wasn't just pretending to be one.

Then, there was a strange event at one of Elkohar's feasts that seems to be mostly forgotten in this forum. An ardent belonging to Brightlord Hatham approached Dalinar with this message:

"Just as Hatham wishes his partner in negotiations to know of his goodwill, I wish you to know of our goodwill toward you, Brightlord."

I got the feeling that the "we" in this statement wasn't referring to the ardent and Hatham, who has been a minor character so far. Instead, I connected it to another organization we know has connections to the ardentia: the Ghostbloods.

I feel that the most likely motivation for a secret organization of ardents, especially considering Kabsal's monologue, is the reinstitution of the Heirocracy.

Any thoughts on this almost totally baseless theory? =)

If Hatham's ardent is a ghostblood then I am not sure that the attempted assassination of his niece would be the best gesture of goodwill.

I agree that Kasbal was probably a real ardent, he clearly had some scholarly tendencies and could read. He also shared Shallan's food.

I also think there is a good possibility that the ghostbloods are a secret society (or maybe militant wing) of the ardentia.

I do not think that Hatham's ardent is part of that group though. If Hatham and his ardent belong to any society (a big if) then the Envisigers would fit better I think.

Until I learn more, I hesitate to speculate any further.

Edit: Also have a plus +1 to get you started.

Edited by The Count

This is an interesting idea. I personally don't believe that this ardent belonged to the Ghostbloods. But it's only my gut feeling.

Kabsal seems to know a lot about the ardentia. Given his "rage" about ardents being owned by the Brightlords, I could see that he left the ardentia (if because of him joining the Ghostbloods or before just out of frustration is not the question here). I think he's kind of a ardentia-renegade. This would explain his knowledge. I could also see that organizations like the Ghostbloods would recruit their members out of groups of people that are already dissatisfied with the current societal structures.

And at the end a bit of nitpicking, I apologize. It's the Hierocracy (not Heiro ...) and they are the Envisagers (not Envisigers). I dare point this out because if someone looks for threads containing Hierocracy or Envisagers they would not find all possible results then.

It's fascinating that Peter got an upvote for posting a single word, but I believe that he was referring to the OP and possibly the speculation that followed. Of course, this tells us nothing. Peter could think this is fascinating because it is so far out there it reeks of alien conspiracy theories, or it could be fascinating because it is so close to the mark. I'm pretty certain he isn't going to tell us which one it is though, because that would take all the fun out of it.

It's fascinating that Peter got an upvote for posting a single word, but I believe that he was referring to the OP and possibly the speculation that followed. Of course, this tells us nothing. Peter could think this is fascinating because it is so far out there it reeks of alien conspiracy theories, or it could be fascinating because it is so close to the mark. I'm pretty certain he isn't going to tell us which one it is though, because that would take all the fun out of it.

Secrets inside of other secrets =)

Someone have the "PeterAhlstrom Manual" so we can decipher his one word comment, I'm already running a Anagram app to lok for hidden clues in this word ;)

In a more serious note, if the Ghostbloods are trying to gain Dalinar "Good will" trying to kill jasnah for sure don't will help a lot. Maybe Kabsal was part a rouge faction or something or had personal reasons ?

Edited by Natans

I don´t agree, but I still think part of its right.

Personally I do think Kabsal was an ardent for real. I do believe the ardent who spoke to Dalinar have an organisation.

I just odn´t think thats the ghostbloods.

No organisation with the oportunities stays completely away from power. Betting the ardents are trying to push things in the directions they like, carefully supporting those they approve of.

Ofcourse they haveto be careful. They would have difficulty censoring ardents who disagreed with the common opinion, so some differences would still be there.

I do not think that organisation is the ghostbloods thou. They may possibly be a militant offshoot as some suggested.

I do not think that organisation is the ghostbloods thou. They may possibly be a militant offshoot as some suggested.

You guys are probably right about the ardent that talked to Dalinar. Which means that half the support for this already tenuous theory bites the dust =)

• Chaos locked this topic