origin of profile pictures

Pinpoint

I have noticed a lot of interesting profile pictures in the site and I think it would be fun to hear the background!

to start mine is the Orion's nebula. I chose just because it looks cool. :) Feel free to share why you chose your profile picture!  

My one is the cover art for an album by as cities burn come now sleep which is one of the most rewarding albums I have ever listened to in it's emotional raw ness. Emo meets post rock super cool. But yeah the cover depicts two sleeping forms beneath sheets which reminded me of elantris and the half dead people in that book so yeah that is why I have it as my icon.

First time a logged in the forum I used my facebook acount and my profile pic was my facebook profile pic (I wasn't used to facebook at time) so a google the very first tthing that come to my mind, I think i used a word like "unknown" or "incognite" I can't remember and this pic appeared I like and used =)

I tried to find again but never was successful so I kind stayed like these for continuity sake=)

Mine is the coat of arms from my mother's side of the family.

I use my mother's rather than my father's side of the family because it looks better and the motto is much better :)

Roughly translated it is "They are able who believe they can." Which is an awesome motto.

Mine is a cat's eye pierced by two Hemalurgic spikes. I have created it as a symbol of Caton of Inquisition.

Feles Regirent!

It took me a bit before I realized that those were spikes (several months ago).  It was a big 'Ahh!' moment for me.  I had initially thought it was some kind of frog-type alien guy.

Mine is taken from Stormlight.  I thought that the community might get a kick out of it.  It is my eye (though I have a single pupil in each eye).  A little photoshop magic and BAM!  I had a picture that creeped out Kurkistan.  I later made everything except for the iris B&W and gave it a bit of a vignette.  Kurkistan said it was much less creepy after the change.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is the symbol for the Elsecallers, which I find to be the most interesting (and therefore favourite) Order.

Also:

Mine is the coat of arms from my mother's side of the family.

I use my mother's rather than my father's side of the family because it looks better and the motto is much better :)

Roughly translated it is "They are able who believe they can." Which is an awesome motto.

Wait, what now?? Why do your family have coat of arms? Not that THIS IS NOT FREAKING AMAZING!

Wait, what now?? Why do your family have coat of arms? Not that THIS IS NOT FREAKING AMAZING!

Both direct branches of my family moved here from England around 6-8 generations ago (from memory). Sometime long ago now in both family trees someone was granted a coat of arms. About 6 generations back on my father's side my several-times great grandfather could have inherited some large estate in England as one of the apparently few remaining members of the family. But to do so he would have had to move back to England when he had moved to Australia specifically to get away from the politicking there.

(My memory is a bit rusty on all this because it has been some time since I read about it so I may be getting things a little wrong.)

Basically I just use it as my dp because it is dang cool and I really like the motto. :)

The other side of family's motto is "A just hand is a precious ointment." not bad either, but I prefer the other.

Both direct branches of my family moved here from England around 6-8 generations ago (from memory). Sometime long ago now in both family trees someone was granted a coat of arms. About 6 generations back on my father's side my several-times great grandfather could have inherited some large estate in England as one of the apparently few remaining members of the family. But to do so he would have had to move back to England when he had moved to Australia specifically to get away from the politicking there.

(My memory is a bit rusty on all this because it has been some time since I read about it so I may be getting things a little wrong.)

Basically I just use it as my dp because it is dang cool and I really like the motto. :)

The other side of family's motto is "A just hand is a precious ointment." not bad either, but I prefer the other.

Well, you officially have one of the coolest profile pictures in this forum. (But honestly, I prefer the other motto  :lol: )

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new here and just trying out the pic for now but brace yourselves for an overly long, rambling explanation anyway

Well, I'm a chocolatier, hence the name, so I figured I needed something chocolatey to use so I took a few pictures from around the shop I work in (Slattery's in Manchester, U.K). Random stuff that I thought would show up well in a very small pic. I used a different one when I was setting up my Square Enix account for the new Nosgoth forums a few months ago but the profile pics are a little larger here so I went for a more detailed one

The one I have here is from the prototype I made for my little sister's wedding cake last April. Her wedding had a steampunk theme and she decided to have a display of individual desserts rather than one big cake. So I had my brief of steampunk desserts on a stand. At first I didn't have a clue how to steampunk up the basic design so I looked through all the chocolate molds for anything that would serve. Luckily for me the display cakes all needed touching up so I asked if I could alter the basic dessert stand as a prototype for my sister's wedding. I developed it bit by bit with whatever steampunky bits I could assemble, When It was done I had what I needed and it looked deliberate even though I had no idea what else I could have done.

The design is based on boilers and clockwork. On the left you can see one of the chocolate boilers with pipes of steam coming out of the top, this powers a shaft that drives the first big cog which starts the clockwork that winds its way to the top of the display. (except not, you know, cause its all chocolate...)

The basic stand is made of polystyrene drums and cake boards stuck together into a kind of lego tree shape with a tall base for the main display (pictured) then layers of cake boards, to put the desserts on, all painted with chocolate. The desserts are just a hoop of chocolate layered with chocolate sponge and fudge filling topped with shards of chocolate. My steampunk alterations included piping rivets around all the hoops and brushing most with edible dust to give them various metallic finishes (like the bronze boiler in the pic), making choc curls into copper pipes (bottom of pic), choc cogs and screws instead of generic shards, the edges of the stand were given teeth so that they looked like stacked cogs meshing into the climbing clockwork, all the thin gold boards the desserts were stood on were cut out with pinking shears to turn them into cogs too and all the desserts with Baileys in them were identified with choc skulls with a metallic brushing.

There was a lot of metallic brushing involved all said. Hmmm, powdered metals... copper, bronze, gold. What a very allomantic cake I made

So yeah, all that. The actual cake had all the detail. I had no real cog molds for the prototype so I used fluted pastry tins (pictured) and a spikey flower as cog molds.

You could start a thread on who has the coolest job here but it would be no contest - Mr Peter Ahlstrom for the win.

No recipes I'm afraid, my focus is on decorating the outsides of cakes but if you're ever going to Manchester we do teach assorted courses in our school. Chocolatiering, baking, sugar figures, etc. Chocolate wedding cakes, essential skills, choc desserts, display pieces, funday workshop. From an afternoon to a week.You can take a peek at Slattery.co.uk. PS you keep whatever you make.

Here's a fun tip. To create frills and ruffles out of chocolate you need three things - a bowl of melted chocolate (the good stuff), a (clean) wallpaper scraper, and a smooth marble slab (no gravestones). Put the marble in the freezer overnight to get it good and cold then use the scraper to scoop up some choc and spread it quickly over the surface. The frozen slab will instantly try to set the chocolate so spread it thinly and quickly within a few strokes then immediately scrape it up away from the surface. This will give you a flexible, wafer-thin leaf of chocolate to work with but beware-  the heat of your fingers will start to melt it within seconds.

You have a few seconds to twist it into the shape you want. The most basic is a ruffle or concertina as you would make a paper fan as a child, pinched at one end. Put your shape down on a piece of greaseproof paper (or cake) and leave it to set up properly.

It is a very basic technique but by no means easy and requires a lot of practice. However chocolate is far more delicious in this not-properly-set state, It melts instantly in your mouth and is gooey fun to play with, best of all It is completely reusable, you add nothing to it so just melt it down and start again. Its good, messy, delicious fun. Our slabs are about 2cm thick and we get 10-15 mins of play out of them before they defrost too much to use.

They told me when I started that I'd soon get sick of the taste of chocolate, well it's been 15 years and it's still not happened, my theory is that you just get used to higher quantities of chocolate in your blood. OM NOM NOM NOM NOM!

Edited by ChocolateRob

They told me when I started that I'd soon get sick of the tase of chocolate, well it's been 15 years and it's still not happened, my theory is that you just get used to higher quantities of chocolate in your blood. OM NOM NOM NOM NOM!

I was born with chocolate in my veins. I'm convinced of this fact. Also, your job is amazing. I'm a little jealous.

On-topic, my profile picture is a little caricature of myself a friend of mine drew. The writing off to the side names me the Ruler of the World, and I even have a little peon slaving away bringing me books. I love it. :)