Best savant?

CthulhuSpren

I was just curious of what everyone's opinion of the best savant, potentially (since we've only seen tin and pewter savants- although, there was a WoB saying marsh was an atium savant, what that entails, i have no clue)

Also if you suggest any savants, could you clarify what you think they would be

-if i've missed any savants, please say so  ;)

Edited by CthulhuSpren

After I thought about for a while I the ones that you had already said and Electrum and Allumin (see below). An Electrum Savant may see quite far in its own future. But it is a lot expansive (just a little less than pure gold).

About the other Metals, if you don't have any other power you will find pretty hurt or dead using. Some examples:

Iron/Steel: A powerfull pull/push affects also you, probably hurt your own organs, or if you usa something like coin, you just obtain to may shoot them very far but without the aim to do this good.

Zinc/brass: Really I don't know what thay may do in Savantism. Maybe you had to use Allomancy also to yourself or be Aphatic.

Bronze/copper: We know that are just improvment without contros, but the effect isn't probably "the best".

Gold/Electrum: Very expensive.

Allumin: Could be a very strong anti-Investiture tool.
Durallumin: Useless

Nicrosil/Crome: I suppose there isn't any improvment through being a Savant.

Cadmium/bendalloy: Quite powerfull but probably useless to the great need of metals and you develop something like time-disorder about the rest of the world.

Edited by Yata

After I thought about for a while I the ones that you had already said and Electrum and Allumin (see below). An Electrum Savant may see quite far in its own future. But it is a lot expansive (just a little less than pure gold).

About the other Metals, if you don't have any other power you will find pretty hurt or dead using. Some examples:

Iron/Steel: A powerfull pull/push affects also you, probably hurt your own organs, or if you usa something like coin, you just obtain to may shoot them very far but without the aim to do this good.

Zinc/brass: Really I don't know what thay may do in Savantism. Maybe you had to use Allomancy also to yourself or be Aphatic.

Bronze/copper: We know that are just improvment without contros, but the effect isn't probably "the best".

Gold/Electrum: Very expensive.

Allumin: Could be a very strong anti-Investiture tool.

Durallumin: Useless

Nicrosil/Crome: I suppose there isn't any improvment through being a Savant.

Cadmium/bendalloy: Quite powerfull but probably useless to the great need of metals and you develop something like time-disorder about the rest of the world.

On the iron/steel: savantism does not always increases strenght like in tin and to a lesser degree pewter. It can also enhace control. In iron and steel it would allow you to push or pull an object outside of its center of mass and with greater precision.

On the iron/steel: savantism does not always increases strenght like in tin and to a lesser degree pewter. It can also enhace control. In iron and steel it would allow you to push or pull an object outside of its center of mass and with greater precision.

Like Kel with an iron rod spinning it in the air.

I think breeze was actually a savant. He even managed to sooth people during the battle of lutadel, while he was in a traumatic shock. Also he soothed people halfway unconciously most of the time.

I think breeze was actually a savant. He even managed to sooth people during the battle of lutadel, while he was in a traumatic shock. Also he soothed people halfway unconciously most of the time.

I though about when I write my first answe on this topic but I think that he isn't a Savant.

The "Savant power" develops through the Flaring a metal for very long time.

Breeze use the Allomancy often (very often) but He use something like a delicate amount of Power. I don't think that his Style was capable of trasform him in a Savant.

About the "improved controll" of an Iron/steel savant, It's true. My bad to not think about.

Personally, i think iron/steel savants would always see in steelsight, on top of normal vision

Impossible, the savant are more addicted by the Metal than a Normal Allomancer. Without burning metal they are equal or less then a Standard Misting (if applicable).

For Example, when Spook become a Tin Savant, without burning Tin is sense are very very weak, He was quise blind and Insensible.

I don't know if the Iron/Steel Savant has one of this "contros" but surely He hasn't any "power" without burning metal Iron/Steel

I though about when I write my first answe on this topic but I think that he isn't a Savant.

The "Savant power" develops through the Flaring a metal for very long time.

Breeze use the Allomancy often (very often) but He use something like a delicate amount of Power. I don't think that his Style was capable of trasform him in a Savant.

I also believe that Breeze was a Savant. I can't find it right now but I remember seeing a WoB saying that most Smokers would become Savants without even knowing what they were doing. As it was common belief that it was impossible to pierce a copper cloud I doubt that any smokers were flaring their metals. Because of this I assume that its possible to become a Savant without flaring however it just takes a lot longer. So in my mind Breeze was a Savant.

I want to say that Zane was a Savant in addition to being spiked for Steel.

Hence the much greater control over his pushes, as exemplified in his "chases" with Vin. He's described as balancing in midair on a single coin. If that isn't at least partial savantism, I dunno what is.

Also, it's not necessarily a strength thing, I always understood is as both an addiction and a greater use. Since Tin and Pewter are physical metals, it makes sense to have a pure power-boost. But Spook also had finer use over his Tin, yes he could feel vibrations more strongly, but also more acutely. To the point he could decipher what they meant. Same with sounds and smells.

I'd like to think that Marsh was also probably a Bronze Savant, long before becoming an Inquisitor and using atium as Ironeyes. It seems to me they, like Copperclouds, would become savants as a matter of course. 

With Bronze the possibility lies not only in greater detection range, but more acute senses. It'd be silly if Bronze savants could pierce copper clouds like Bronze-Hemalurgic constructs, after all then every Bronze savant could hear the Well of Ascension. Instead I'd think they'd be easily able to pick up on specific metals being burned, knowing the pulse patterns innately. MY interpretation, though completely non-canon, is that a savant with enough practice could detect Feruchemical usage, maybe stored metal minds, hemalurgic spikes, and even investuture from other shards. (Again, wishful thinking)

It's stated in the RPG rules that Bronze Savants are one of the least negatively-affected, but I feel like the ability to constantly know what mistings around you are up to could lead to a personality shift. One that is very paranoid or feels claustrophobic or "blind" when not burning.

Just my 2 clips, (and yeah, I'd totally be a Seeker, lol.)

I want to say that Zane was a Savant in addition to being spiked for Steel.

Hence the much greater control over his pushes, as exemplified in his "chases" with Vin. He's described as balancing in midair on a single coin. If that isn't at least partial savantism, I dunno what is.

Also, it's not necessarily a strength thing, I always understood is as both an addiction and a greater use. Since Tin and Pewter are physical metals, it makes sense to have a pure power-boost. But Spook also had finer use over his Tin, yes he could feel vibrations more strongly, but also more acutely. To the point he could decipher what they meant. Same with sounds and smells.

I'd like to think that Marsh was also probably a Bronze Savant, long before becoming an Inquisitor and using atium as Ironeyes. It seems to me they, like Copperclouds, would become savants as a matter of course. 

With Bronze the possibility lies not only in greater detection range, but more acute senses. It'd be silly if Bronze savants could pierce copper clouds like Bronze-Hemalurgic constructs, after all then every Bronze savant could hear the Well of Ascension. Instead I'd think they'd be easily able to pick up on specific metals being burned, knowing the pulse patterns innately. MY interpretation, though completely non-canon, is that a savant with enough practice could detect Feruchemical usage, maybe stored metal minds, hemalurgic spikes, and even investuture from other shards. (Again, wishful thinking)

It's stated in the RPG rules that Bronze Savants are one of the least negatively-affected, but I feel like the ability to constantly know what mistings around you are up to could lead to a personality shift. One that is very paranoid or feels claustrophobic or "blind" when not burning.

Just my 2 clips, (and yeah, I'd totally be a Seeker, lol.)

One of the ideas I've had about Bronze savants is that they'd actually be able to tell the difference between a normal metal burn and a Compounding burn.  There'd be a subtle difference in the way the pulse patterns are heard.

I also believe that Breeze was a Savant. I can't find it right now but I remember seeing a WoB saying that most Smokers would become Savants without even knowing what they were doing. As it was common belief that it was impossible to pierce a copper cloud I doubt that any smokers were flaring their metals. Because of this I assume that its possible to become a Savant without flaring however it just takes a lot longer. So in my mind Breeze was a Savant.

I agree with this as well...while I don't think it's canon...I always read Breeze's habitual and constant soothing of those around him, as well as his significant increase in power and control as symptoms of savantism.  While I also can't quote it at the moment, there is something mentioned in mistborn about people accidentally becoming savants, without ever realizing it.  Obviously the symptoms of being a savant would be different depending on what metal you can burn...or in the case of a mistborn...which metals you choose to constantly burn.  

While nerding out on friends, I've always used flowing water across a landscape as a metaphor for what happens when one becomes a savant.  The water itself represents the amount of metal being burned...the physical path in the landscape that the water has eroded represents the aperture in you spirit web that allows you to burn the metal...and the size and weight of vessel that could float down the river as the benefit or power that you gain from burning a metal.

In the beginning,  you have only a creek that can support a kayak or canoe during an average burn (flow of water) but during a flood (flaring metal) a deep setting rowboat would have no trouble making it down without bottoming out.  

As more water flows down the creek over time, it slowly gets wider and deeper.  The result is that more water CAN flow through it, hence forth being able to support larger and larger craft...but...more water is required in order to move ANYTHING down it.  ie, the widest deepest river CAN have millions of gallons of water moving through per second...potentially supporting and ocean liner...but if the same amount of water is moving down that river as the creek we started with, it will be so shallow that a kayak or canoe is out of the question...a toy boat might be a challenge.

I know it's not perfect...but...it's the best way i've figured out how to describe this phenomenon to someone who is allomantically uneducated.

To get things back on thread...Spook is totally the coolest savant we definitely meet...but I would say that being a bronze savant would probably be awesome...

-if i've missed any savants, please say so  ;)

One of the ideas I've had about Bronze savants is that they'd actually be able to tell the difference between a normal metal burn and a Compounding burn.  There'd be a subtle difference in the way the pulse patterns are heard.

It is said in HoA that many Bronze mistings were Savants simply due to the sheer volume of time they were burning Bronze. I suspect Vin was a Bronze savant. I asked Brandon once if the reason she got spooked off by Hoid was that she was detecting Hoid using a different form of Investiture with her Bronze, he smiled wide and started to answer but ultimately RAFO'd me. Obviously she was also augmented by her Bronze Spike, but I suspect it was both that and her being a Bronze Savant.

Edited by Iron Eyes

It is said in HoA that many Bronze mistings were Savants simply due to the sheer volume of time they were burning Bronze. I suspect Vin was a Bronze savant. I asked Brandon once if the reason she got spooked off by Hoid was that she was detecting Hoid using a different form of Investiture with her Bronze, he smiled wide and started to answer but ultimately RAFO'd me. Obviously she was also augmented by her Bronze Spike, but I suspect it was both that and her being a Bronze Savant.

Some kind of Misting develop Savantism quite naturally because of the Standard Long time uses of power. Bronze is one of them but the more likely to become Savant are the Copper Misting (if Ska) because they burn 24/7 their metal. While the Bronze have the issues to be discovered by the Inquisitor (I talk about the Final Empire Era).

• 4 weeks later...

On the subject of savants' Allomantic addiction. In HoA, Spook has such a dependence on tin because, without it, he sees himself as being almost blind, deaf, etc. but he also says that it's how other people experience the world. Savants, from what I can tell, have a greater ability to use their Allomantic metal. Vin could be seen as being a savant with steel, iron, and possibly the emotional metals. With a steel savant, I believe that we see an example of this in AoL when Wax has his steel bubble. This seems almost savant in nature, to me. We have a bit of a problem with Wax being Twinborn, so there's the phantom 'effect' flying around that we still haven't seen, so it may be the steel bubble.

What about a nicroburst savant? I see a lot of potential for that in upcoming books.

To be honest, I don't see any kind of gain to be Durallumin/Nicrosil Savant and It very hard to became ones.

But anyway, the Durallumin/Nicrosil expend all the metals in a huge flare. A savant can't generate more power because the power is "about the amount of metal burned" therefore there isn't any potential to me for this kind of Savant.

I don't know about that. There are varying amounts of power in allomancy, and the more powerful ones don't seem to use up the metal faster. A nicroburst savant (or duralumin misborn savant) would proably get more bang for their buck from the metal.

Also, I want to see a mistborn with duralumin getting nicrobursted.

• Chaos locked this topic